corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » speedo problem on corsa 1.2 95 Pics

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author speedo problem on corsa 1.2 95 Pics
Matty L

User status: Offline
11th Aug 04 at 20:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'm a newbie and have a question about the speedo on my corsa.Only had the car a month.Its a 1.2i 8v twist 1995.

The problem is that the speedo is out by 10mph approx.E.g, when i'm doing only 30 it shows that i'm doing 40.

heres a pic

The wheels are 195's.

Im guessing that the wheels are too big for the car but i'm not sure.Other than that, i'm thinking the speedo could be the fault.

also if anyone has any tips on how to remove and fit new side repeaters (getting some blue ones)

cheers

[Edited on 11-08-2004 by Matty Lee18]
Adam-D

11th Aug 04 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

speedo drive gear or dials the wheels wont affect it that much
CorsAsh

11th Aug 04 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The wheels wont make a difference, more than likely its a speedo fault or something to do with the sender on the gearbox.

As for side reps, just pull them at the front, you'll be able to see a clip - push that with a flat screwdriver and it'll pop out
Marco The Corsa Man

11th Aug 04 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The speedo on mine was 13% out, with the bigger wheels its about 10% but thats still 10mph @ 100mph
Matty L

11th Aug 04 at 22:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers guys.Thanks for the repeater tip too corsash.

Got a few weeks off work so i've got loads of time to make slight improvments to the car.

Atm i'm in the process of changing over the back drum brakes and front disc brakes as they have basicly had it.I've painted the calipers and the rear brakes blue in colour.All i need to do now is purchase new front disks and rear horse shoes tommorow morning and i'm sorted.Will post some pics when done.

heres an inside pic

I know alot of you guys have been into cars for ages but i've only just bought my first car so i'm a newbie with this kinda stuff.

Things i've been thinking could improve the look of the interior.....

Seat cover?

Painting the side pockets black?

Better steering wheel with more grip?

basically i dont wanna go over board but just touch things up.That gear knob was on the car when i bought it.So was the handbrake handle.

i've seen them seat covers going in argos for around £25 for the somplete set.Argos though

CorsAsh

11th Aug 04 at 22:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't bother with seat covers mate, look tacky more often than not... Save the £25 and put it to something more worthwhile, maybe a set of aluminium pedals to compliment the gear knob and handbrake?

[Edited on 11-08-2004 by CorsAsh]
Marco The Corsa Man

11th Aug 04 at 22:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The beauty of the corsa interior is that all sorts of bits can be taken off and painted. I went for silver but you're body colour would go OK. Just plan it first and take your time

Ian
Site Administrator

11th Aug 04 at 23:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matty Lee18
when i'm doing only 30 it shows that i'm doing 40.
They're meant to over-read so you actually travel slower than you think you are. How did you arrive at these figures?

Larger wheels (height of the rim plus sidewall matters in this calcuation, not width specifically) will actually reduce this error.
Cybermonkey

11th Aug 04 at 23:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

i'm a newbie and have a question about the speedo on my corsa.Only had the car a month.Its a 1.2i 8v twist 1995.

The problem is that the speedo is out by 10mph approx.E.g, when i'm doing only 30 it shows that i'm doing 40.

heres a pic

The wheels are 195's.

Im guessing that the wheels are too big for the car but i'm not sure.Other than that, i'm thinking the speedo could be the fault.

also if anyone has any tips on how to remove and fit new side repeaters (getting some blue ones)

cheers

Tidy Corsa you got there For the record, corsa speedos are pretty famous for being in-accurate, but not so much at lower speeds like yours is. My guess is the sender on the gearbox, like said before. Interior looks like its starting to take shape, but try to source an interior from a higher spec like a Sport model. The seats are pretty good IMO, and doorcards too. Well better than that interior you have at the moment! Good luck
Black Corsa SRi

12th Aug 04 at 12:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:

How did you arive at this figure

yeah i'm interested to know, how do u acutally know its reading is out?
Marco The Corsa Man

12th Aug 04 at 17:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know mines out because I've got a Road Angel which uses GPS to precicely measure speed. In my dads Zafira GSi its 100% spot on and in his merc van its about 99%, but in mine its way out.
a_j_mair

12th Aug 04 at 21:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have a similar problem mine says im doin 50 when im doin 60 sat behind a friend in his car, rough but approx 10mph out i think. the fuel gauge has started being awfull jumpy aswell now. please help
Matty L

13th Aug 04 at 10:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did a little work on the car yesterday.Changed the back drum brakes for new ones and painted them blue.Also the front disk breaks got changed and painted also blue.Green side repeaters where taken out and replaced with blue.Also new car alarm was fitted.All cost me in total around £220.Break drums where bought secound hand but the shoes where bought brand new as where the disk breaks.

This picture shows the "actual" coulour of the car.The pictures above where taken with a poor quality digital camara and does not show the true colour.Sorry about the size 56 users.

[Edited on 13-08-2004 by Matty Lee18]

New Poll