corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Computer Help

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Computer Help
Darren

User status: Offline
   7th Aug 04 at 14:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just bought a new 40Gb hard drive for my pc as the old one died. Fitted it all etc but when you turn the PC on it detects it ok when u first turn it on but then as it starts loading the white text on black screen, checking processor, memory etc it gets to the hard drive and freezes..

Any ideas??

I thank thee
MarkW

7th Aug 04 at 14:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds as tho it ain't just ur hard drive tht's fucked lol try startin the computer with everything minimal - in otherwords unplug all ur drive's except this new hard drive, take all pci cards out except ur graphics, and if u've got more thn one stick memory just run it with one - thn fire up p.c and make sure all ur bios settings are correct - thn see whether it will go through POST without any problems. if it looks ok, start putting stuff back in until it messes up again - thn u'll find the problem, it tht don't work - u'll need to start puting different parts into test them, ie PSU, CPU & Memory (rob thm from another machine if u can) if none of tht works i'd reckon ur motherboard is on its way out - but test everything else first
MarkW

7th Aug 04 at 14:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just read through ur post again - i think all u need to do is detect it in the bios and u'll be reet
Darren

7th Aug 04 at 15:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this is how far i get

how do i detect it in the bios??
MarkW

7th Aug 04 at 15:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

press 'Delete' on startup or F2 depending on ur board, just keep pressing it as soon as u fire comp up - until u get a blue screen wiv loadsa options - u might hav to go into standard cmos settings and press enter on the drive's to redect them, or it might have an auto ide detection facility - but it's obvious it ain't picked it up as image above says 20gb pri master - Have u set new drive to master or is it slave? + hav u got any other drive's in machine??

Might be F6 OR F10 ro press - just seen speed of ur chip - u got an old m/b

[Edited on 07-08-2004 by purple5]
Darren

7th Aug 04 at 15:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive gone thru all that stuff already, when you first switch it on it tells u on screen that its detected both the HD's but then goes onto the screen above and freezes

The new drive is set to slave, but ive also tried it with just the new HD and set it to master but it still dies on the screen above.

and yeah its an old PII, is that a problem??
Richie

7th Aug 04 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could be the IDE controller at a long shot.

If there is no primary slave, go into the BIOS and set primary slave to NONE
James_DT

7th Aug 04 at 15:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It shouldn't be a problem, no.
Try the access mode in the BIOS setup screen (LBA, LARGE) etc, some of my drives only work properly when set to LARGE rather than LBA.
MarkW

7th Aug 04 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u may need to cap limit the drive also m8 - if u look on the sticker on the drive it will tell u how to do this - if it's an old m/b especially PII this is more thn likely the problem.........
MarkW

7th Aug 04 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2 b honest m8 i'd cap limit the drive stick it to master, and don't run any other drive's thn go into bios and detect hard drive - should sort it no probs

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Computer Help 22 database queries in 0.0121229 seconds