corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Alternator

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Alternator
wee_kev

User status: Offline
6th Jul 04 at 16:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am going to be upgrading my alternater when i get my ICE sorted. What do i need? I will have 17cm fronts, 6*9's and a 12"sub amped up. Where do i get a bigger alternator and how much, is there anything to look out for?

Any help would be much appreciated.
corsa_sri04

6th Jul 04 at 16:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

demon tweeks sell upgrades but there not that cheap about £100- £150 i think.

but you probably wouldnt need a bigger alternator for that amount of stuff just make sure your battery is good and all the wires and connections
wee_kev

6th Jul 04 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My 6*9's are wired up through my head unit at the mo and are split 3 times (just temp!!!) The lights dim already when the bass hits. Suppose i could give it a go and see what happens.
rob_watti

7th Jul 04 at 15:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have u upgraded the big 3? the big three if you dont already know is the wire from your battery to earth, the wire from your alternator to battery positive and the wire from your engine block to chassis
rob_watti

7th Jul 04 at 15:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this usually helps alot with dimming lights. upgrade to at least the same size wire as you have running to your amps
drunkenfool

8th Jul 04 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

an altenator off a diesel corsa may well be enough for your setup, and a hell of a lot cheaper than the alternatives.
AdiSRI

8th Jul 04 at 17:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as said u shudnt really need a bigger alternator with that, only if u have multiple big amps..
TOMAS

8th Jul 04 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like either your alt is failing or your battery isnt upto scratch. I'd get a bigger battery if possible. I have a Varta Blue upfront which is rated at 75Ah it only just fits in the battery tray and weighs LOADS but the lights dont dim at all with my reasonable setup.
AdiSRI

8th Jul 04 at 21:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

where did you get that from tomas, im looking for a new battery as mines knackered, but i dont wanna spend a fortune on a optima...
TOMAS

9th Jul 04 at 11:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£10 from a scrap yard. obviousley checked voltage before I bought it, it was only meant for a temp but my god its amazing BEST £10 I ever spent! Considering putting the brand new optima I have under the bonnet if it wont sell for anything like I paid for it, in which case this Varta is your Adi - may the VArta live on! 12.5V standing from a calicum jobbie is pretty sh1t hot
AdiSRI

9th Jul 04 at 11:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

LOL, does sound pretty good. I was looking at the bigger halfords calcium jobbo, but its like £60 and i dunno if halfords batteries are actually any good or not...

New Poll