corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » I think my corsa's dying

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author I think my corsa's dying
purple_corsa_gls

User status: Offline
1st Jul 04 at 07:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was going about 85 mph last night on the A1 (m) and the car shuddered a bit, then the Engine Warning Light Came on. I pulled over but it was running fine and the light went off. it happened a further three times.

Has this happened to anyone because ive not even had the car two months yet.....and i'm getting slighlty pissed off with it now.
Pablo

1st Jul 04 at 08:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Graham

1st Jul 04 at 08:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this happened to me too, did the accelaration just not respond then the light comes on then goes and its back to normal shat myself the first time as i was in the midle of nowhere
purple_corsa_gls

1st Jul 04 at 08:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep.....what happened though because i need to book it in the garage tomorrow.
Graham

1st Jul 04 at 08:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont know either proper worried tho when it happened didnt know if it was gonna die or not.
purple_corsa_gls

1st Jul 04 at 08:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh you found it.....the mod's moved me!

I'll let you know if they find anything wrong with mine - it might give you a clue as to whats wrong.
Graham

1st Jul 04 at 08:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh cheers that would be lovely and how much its costing you too.
purple_corsa_gls

1st Jul 04 at 08:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont know. its getting done under the warranty....

I'll ask how much it would have cost if i had to do it myself. it goes tommorow though so i'll U2U you about it tomorrow or saturday
Graham

1st Jul 04 at 08:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok then matey cheers
dan.payne

1st Jul 04 at 10:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

r u both running induction kits?
Graham

1st Jul 04 at 10:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im usin a drilled air box, with standard cold air feed and a ducting hose via the lower grill
purple_corsa_gls

1st Jul 04 at 10:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mines untouched. Whatever came on the corsa when it was built 4 years ago (V reg corsa B)
greebo2

2nd Jul 04 at 08:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes, I've had just the same symptoms. It turned out to be the idle control stepper motor in my case, although a faulty air mass meter can have a similar effect. It's very disconcerting when you're driving along and the engine suddenly seems to stall and drag and then starts running again. Try seeing if you can make it happen when you pull up at a junction (when you slow up to stop the idle control motor takes over).

When it happened to my car (mine's the 1.0l 12v) the dealer diagnosed it with a tech 2 with the engine running, NB the ecu didn't have any fault codes saved (so a paperclip test or a passive tech 2 readout didn't show any stored fault codes) but with the tech2 attached and monitoring the engine in real time while it was running a series of error codes were being displayed on the tech 2 from the idle control motor. You can really only get this diagnosed at a dealer unless you can find someone with a tech 2.

Be aware that you'll probably pay a rip-off price if the dealer does this for you, they charged me 40 quid for about 5 minutes work in total. The tech 2 is a piece of diagnostic equipment that looks like a large multimeter that they plug into your diags socket.

Dealer wanted 70 quid for a new stepper motor and vat on top of that, so I went to the scrappy and got one for a tenner off another car. If you do that try and get one off a fairly recent car as they do wear out, the dealer told me he's sold loads of these bosch stepper motors for corsas.

The motor I'm talking about sits on the side of the throttle body (at least on the x10xe and x12xe engines) and actuates the throttle when the engine is idling. It's real easy to fix, pull out the wiring loom plug, unscrew the motor from the side of the throttle body (you'l l have to take the airbox off the top first), screw new motor on and plug back into loom. I replaced mine with one from a 1.2 engine and it works fine, you need to check that the bosch part number which is stamped on the side of the motor matches the one from your engine if you get one from the scrappy. The 1.0 and 1.2 engines both use the same motor (at least for corsa-b, don't know about corsa-c, my guess is they'll be the same)

In my case I also cleaned all the connectors on the wiring loom to the idle control and air mass meter (they don't use gold plated contacts (it's crap quality) so inevitably you get oxide and dirt build up over time which means that you'll get a voltage drop in the signal or potentially intermittant contact problems). Clean the connector pins with cotton buds and isopropyl alcohol, usually get's some black oxide muck off the pins if the car's done a few miles.

greebo2

2nd Jul 04 at 09:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Another thing I just remembered, you might just have a dirty air mass meter sensor. The "hot film" air mass meter sits inline in the airpipe between the air filter box and the throttle body air box, inside the cylindrical housing is a square of platinum (I believe) film which is heated and acts as a gas flow rate meter to measure the amount of air going into your engine. You can clean this by giving it a spray of carb cleaner. If you've got an oiled cotton induction kit fitted this can quite commonly mess up the air mass filter as oil evaporating from the induction kit material deposits on the platinum film (the people who sell the induction kits don't tell you that!). Whatever you do don't try to clean it with a cloth any grease you get on it will mess it up, carb cleaner or isopropanolol spray is about the only chance of cleaning it. Again my remarks above about cleaning the contacts from the air mass meter to the wiring loom apply. Remember a new air mass meter is going to cost you about 300 quid (it's a complete rip-off) so I'd advise trying a different idle control motor first, it's more likely to be the motor anyway
Adam-D

2nd Jul 04 at 09:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

paul j essays have been outdone ^
Ojc

2nd Jul 04 at 10:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Very usefull though
Adam-D

2nd Jul 04 at 10:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

indeed it is
greebo2

2nd Jul 04 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do you reckon I could ever get published? and paid?
(just jokin of course)
greebo2

2nd Jul 04 at 17:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

suppos I shud av put it thru mi wigga spik translator furst
to gane full cred
greebo2

2nd Jul 04 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seriously this might be one for a faq entry, how would I submit it to be added? Anyone else agree?
purple_corsa_gls

2nd Jul 04 at 20:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by greebo2
Seriously this might be one for a faq entry, how would I submit it to be added? Anyone else agree?

yes...

Mine also wont go above about 2,500 - 3,000 revs and about 20-30 mph when its been unused for a while - worse on a morning though. would this be related in any way?

Its booked into the garage next friday so i want to take as many possibilities as i can so they dont fill me with crap and chrge me for work they havent done.

Cheers
sassyminx

2nd Jul 04 at 20:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by purple_corsa_gls
quote:

yes...

Mine also wont go above about 2,500 - 3,000 revs and about 20-30 mph when its been unused for a while - worse on a morning though. would this be related in any way?

Its booked into the garage next friday so i want to take as many possibilities as i can so they dont fill me with crap and chrge me for work they havent done.

Cheers

if it wont go over 3000rpm and the engine management light comes on, it usually means the car has gone into " safe mode"

might be a map sensor, it sounds like it cos my ex had the same prob on his vectra, the reason it does this is to prevent any further engine damage

id go to vaux and see wot they say tho mate
purple_corsa_gls

2nd Jul 04 at 20:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sassyminx
quote:
Originally posted by purple_corsa_gls
quote:

yes...

Cheers

if it wont go over 3000rpm and the engine management light comes on, it usually means the car has gone into " safe mode"

might be a map sensor, it sounds like it cos my ex had the same prob on his vectra, the reason it does this is to prevent any further engine damage

id go to vaux and see wot they say tho mate

Cheers, it sorts itself out after a mile or two.....still embrrasing when you have to do the first couple of miles of your journey on the hards shoulder of the a19 in rush hour. Did his do that?

[Edited on 02-07-2004 by purple_corsa_gls]
Graham

2nd Jul 04 at 21:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine hasnt done this in two days now so im not worrying anymore. but if it does re-occur off to vaux i go
purple_corsa_gls

2nd Jul 04 at 21:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Graham
mine hasnt done this in two days now so im not worrying anymore. but if it does re-occur off to vaux i go

Mine didnt for a couple of days last week mind. now its doing it worse than ever. its doing it going at slower speedds now - not just 70 and 80!!!

You'll end up getting stuck in some dodgy country lane and get bummed off badgers

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll