corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » bodyshop costs for this.........

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author bodyshop costs for this.........
M16KE B

User status: Offline
17th Jun 04 at 14:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How much did it cost, those of you who have had it done, to get your mirrors smoothed in to their bases, Roughly, think i need to get it done or refit the standard mirrors.

Robertio_uk

17th Jun 04 at 14:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u mean like this?

cost me about £70 to get it done for both sides
M16KE B

17th Jun 04 at 14:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No. the mirror smoothed to the bases not the bases to the door.
Robertio_uk

17th Jun 04 at 14:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i would say about the same. i would think about £100 for both sides if that cost me £70 for both as not much difference between them
waynep

17th Jun 04 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do it urself p38
M16KE B

17th Jun 04 at 15:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa-crazy
do it urself p38

So what do i need to buy? and how is it best done to avoid cracking? wouldnt mind trying it but theres a good chance id fuck it right up. Anything in tutorials / FAQ??
Icy

17th Jun 04 at 16:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

glasgowcorsac off here sold his for £40
RichR
Premium Member

17th Jun 04 at 16:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

use P40 to bridge the actual gap - and personally I would use a glass cloth of some sort on the back - just as belt and braces style support - as well as the screws. DOnt allow the P40 to come out of the gap - as its a bastrd to trim down and sand -just leave it a mm below the actual mirro/baseblate connection. The finish with P38 filler - this is easy sand and should allwo u to get a good finish

then its a case of priming and sprayin - remember to use plastic primer tho
ChazSXi

17th Jun 04 at 16:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dave on corsa-c is selling them becuase he didnt use them¬
M16KE B

17th Jun 04 at 16:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone got a contact?
M16KE B

17th Jun 04 at 16:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

"I would use a glass cloth of some sort on the back" can anyone expand on this- bit of a novice really
ChazSXi

17th Jun 04 at 17:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by M16KE B
Anyone got a contact?

corsa-c is down atm but when its up i'll get him to drop u a mail
Drysdale

17th Jun 04 at 19:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm also very interested in a decent tutorial on smoothing..im sue a lot of other people would too! Anyone got anything?
RichR
Premium Member

17th Jun 04 at 21:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

glass fibre cloth - Most peopel assume that fibreglass is that stuff that comes in a tin - the yellow stuff that u mix hardener into (it goes pink) then u spread ti out and it sets - this is only fibreglass filler or P40

fibreglass matt is a cloth of woven or chopped strands bound togetehr - u lay this over what ever u want to "glass together" be this a mould or in this case a mirror - u then spread over a resin and consolidate the fibres (remove air bubbles)

the matt/cloth is directionally stronger than using P40. Most motor factors - think Halfords as well sell glass fibre kits with a 1m roll of chop strand matt, a tin of resin and a hardener (with gloves, paintbrush and lollipop mixing stick incl.) for abotu £10

U get a raneg of cloths and weave patterns - but for what ur doing use chop strand - its easy to use - can get a bti messy- but will fill all gaps suitably

remember tho to leave a gap below the final join line of the mirror and base plate - and finish with P38 - easi-sand filelr - to give a glass textured finish suitable for sanding/prepping and spraying
RichR
Premium Member

17th Jun 04 at 21:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'll write a proper tutorial one day when Im not knackered; however try this site in the mean time for a few hints and tips

http://web.njit.edu/~cas1383/proj/main/
ed

17th Jun 04 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A few quids...
RichR
Premium Member

17th Jun 04 at 22:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

see every1 assumes smoothing costs a fortune - with the right knowledge and equipment - it doesnt have to - exactly the same as stuff made in carbon - its an industry con - in the marine industry where everything is glassed or carbon - a compositie of some description - it'd take no tiem and no particularly high cost to smooth in the arches using soemthing liek a tri or quad axial woven fibre - it would never ever crack (except by impact)

grrr just annoys me - theres about £50-£75 worth of materials in a carbon bonnet if that - infact possibly less
ed

17th Jun 04 at 22:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea, materials are cheap Bit of carbon (only £30-£40 per sqm), bit of resin...

Then you need to find somone who knows how to lay the stuff properly, then you need a big enough autoclave to cure it... It's not easy ya know...
RichR
Premium Member

17th Jun 04 at 23:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

y do u need to autoclave it??? load of shit - just keep it dry while ti cures - theres no performance from the smoothing hence it doesnt need blasting and to be honest the only autoclave that'd take a car is the F1 teams ones - as for autoclave to take panels and bonnets-Unis got one (Im studying yacht and Powercraft design) and theyre not that rare if u knwo where to look

Its best nto to speak to bodyshops about complex composite issues - ur best finding boat builders or marine based repair shops - there fit out shops are far betetr equipped - and as for experience for what ur talkign abotu - smoothing in arches, wing mirrors etc - it doesnt take a genius-making bonnets isnt all that hard-could teach some1 enough to lay up;consolidate and produce components of reasonable quality in a day

where did u get £30-£40 sq metre for carbon For - thats the price id pay for Pre-Preg carbon (top bollocks pre- impregnated with resin stuff) - i wouldnt pay that for standard bi-axial Carbon off the roll
RichR
Premium Member

17th Jun 04 at 23:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My best mate is half way thru producin a 3 wheeled;single seater road legal car (single wheel at the back-motorbike engine driving the rear wheel) and weve just started a PVC cored Carbon Boat 2gether - if it costs us more than £100 I'll be suprised - and it doesnt need autoclaving - its a well funky little thing tho - Its kite powered- like kite surfing but u can sit on it - from the designs and some predictive calculations should be capable of 40 knts - (wind powered speed record is 45 ish)
RichR
Premium Member

17th Jun 04 at 23:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

resins/catalysts/accelerators are the expensive part
M16KE B

18th Jun 04 at 08:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks mate - thats been very helpful, i shall look into it and post pics of them ion progress when i get my finger out of.....well y'know. Cheers
RichR
Premium Member

18th Jun 04 at 12:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh other thing - key the surface - with sand paper - if u dont theres a risk the stuff wont adhere to it - I rebuilt the tail end of a moptorbike the other week; plastic welded a seam then glassed over it -but 4got to key the surface and the glass has peeled off

doesnt take long to do - just take the shine off it
M16KE B

18th Jun 04 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll remember that mate, is there something else i should bear in mind while doing it to stop it cracking after week or so? Y'know a techniique to it or something?
RichR
Premium Member

18th Jun 04 at 13:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it shouldnt crack as long as u dont knock it -at least dont knock it hard

it shouldnt crack as long as the final skim layer of P38 easi sand filler isnt too deep - no more than 1mm or so - less if poss - its just a finishing filler

also remember to use plastic primer as opposed to normal primer

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll