corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Overheating???

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Overheating???
DJP

User status: Offline
17th Jun 04 at 08:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi guys,

Got a 1.2 8v, recently had a front ender resulting in a new radiator. Problem is, since the new radiator, the fan won't switch on until my temp gauge is showing between around 105. Easy enough solution i thought, so i put a new switch in thinking the old one was knackered. I still have the same problem, well before it got a chance to go any higher than 100 i forced the fan to go on.

Might it be that the sender for the temp gauge is knackered? Telling me that the temp is higher than it actually is? When the gauge is reading around 100 i can see that there is a noticably higher water level in the header tank from the water expanding...

For now, i have forced the fan to be on constantly in the fear of getting caught in stoke on trent traffic in this heat by shorting the two terminals of the play that sit in the temp switch (proving the fan does work)

Any ideas anyone??? (sorry for length... but girth is more important...)
Neshol

17th Jun 04 at 08:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There are 2 sensors, the fan isn't activated by the same one that controls the in-car temp guage.
DJP

17th Jun 04 at 08:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i know there are two sensors, my question is whether the one controling the in-car temp gauge is knackered and giving a false reading...
Neshol

17th Jun 04 at 09:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Maybe your water level is low or your water pump is knackered so the rad isn't getting hot, go for a drive then touch the rad after n see how hot it is
DJP

17th Jun 04 at 09:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

water level is at standard, the rad does get hot cos i burnt myself when i forced the connection for the fan, which then cooled the car cos i watched it...

it's confusing the hell out of me!
Neshol

17th Jun 04 at 09:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fook knows, i'd say try replacing both the temp sensors if you can get em cheaply
DJP

17th Jun 04 at 09:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i've replaced the fan switch in the radiator, so i'll see about changing the sender for the in-car gauge... then i'll know if the current one is fibbing or not.
DJP

17th Jun 04 at 10:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i've decided to change the thermostat and sender unit for the temperature gauge, the car should have no excuses then....

New Poll