corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Why NOT to drill air holes in your airbox

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Why NOT to drill air holes in your airbox
blundey

User status: Offline
27th May 04 at 21:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hey guys,

Just a few things to think about...

When you drill air holes in the bottom and side of your airbox...a few things happen...

[1] The air pressure build up above the filter is dramitcally reduced
[2] The air holes made suck up engine bay HOT air
[3] The air sucked in from the engine bay pushes out the cold air sucked in
from the intake on the front grill.

To derestrict a box properlly, then i suppose an additional SINGLE hole with a cold intake air tubing leading from the front grill into the whole covered with silicone would be not such a bad idea, but just putting wholes here, there and everywhere cant be a good thing.

Thinks about it, makes sence ....

Any opinion on this, id love to hear...

[Edited on 27-05-2004 by blundey]
CorsAsh

27th May 04 at 21:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by blundey
Hey guys,

Just a few things to think about...

When you drill air holes in the bottom and sides of your airbox...a few things happen...

[1] The air pressure build up above the filter is dramitcally reduced
[2] The air holes made suck up engine bay HOT air
[3] The air sucked in from the engine bay pushes out the cold air sucked in
from the intake on the front grill.

To derestrict a box properlly, then i suppose an additional SINGLE hole with a cold intake air tubing leading from the front grill into the whole covered with silicone would be not such a bad idea, but just putting wholes here, there and everywhere cant be a good thing.

Thinks about it, makes sence ....

Any opinion on this, id love to hear...

I've not done this, but...

[1] Why would pressure "build up" (I presume you mean vacuum) be affected above the filter? The holes drilled should be on the "dirty air" side below it
[2] The side nearest the wing should be the only side drilled, as this is apparently a high pressure cold air area where air is pushed in from around the headlight for example
[3] The standard intake is very restrictive anyway, so won't make any odds. Can't personally see why warm air would displace the little amounts of cold air this sucks in.

I do agree with havin one big cool air intake, that would work I suppose, but its a lot of messing to route it if someone wants a quick and easy fix. If drilling the airbox was such a bad thing to do, why would so many people do it and swear by it??

blundey

27th May 04 at 21:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well some good points made...

Warm air will rise quicker than the cold

The engine bay gets flooded with quite a good amount of cold air, but still its hot. The far side may be a "colder" area of the car but doesnt mean to say that it doesnt still have relativley warm air compared to air "outside" of the engine bay.

I agree it is very restricitve, but the cold air that is put in maybe small compared to the amount of "warm" air sucked in?

Im only juggling things around trying to get a broader perspective...

Take a look here also :

http://www.migweb.co.uk/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=734

Adam

27th May 04 at 21:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Big ducting is good
blundey

27th May 04 at 21:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hehe, i agree
Siberia

27th May 04 at 22:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have a drilled air box with no cold airfeeds and standard filter and ive had absolutly no problems with it.

slightly quicker at getting away from the lights and very nice roar also.

k&n panel filter coming next week.
Gavin
Premium Member

27th May 04 at 22:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i've taped up my holes.... had problems with my emissions when going through the mot!

it actually runs better with it taped up
and the zhorst soundz much louder and beefier with it taped up!

pew pew pew pewwwww
blundey

27th May 04 at 23:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mixing conflicts bad emissions means the engine is not running quite as cleanly as it should be?
CorsAsh

27th May 04 at 23:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i thought your lambda sensor was to blame gav?
James R

28th May 04 at 07:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you can ctua hole in the front left side of the aibox then drop a duct down the gap between th ebumpr and arch, then replace the original air feed with some larger flexi ducting. Not hay problem with that.
Graham

28th May 04 at 08:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The way you drill your asirbox is on the left hand side next to the wing away from the engine heat, if u keep the cold air feed on it and add a big piece of ducting hose onto the holes thats where the cold air gets sucked in. personally when i did mine it roared and still does with my exhaust aswell, im going to try a performance panel then an induction kit to compare in the future.
Siberia

28th May 04 at 08:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont see the need for a cold airfeed theres a hole were the airbox is right down to the ground
blundey

28th May 04 at 10:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When doing speeds of 70mph or more/less, all the hot air that is generated from the engine is swirled around the bay.

There maybe some cooler sides to the engine bay, but the air around the bay is still considered warm air.

I think if i was to do it, id do it properlly, get some cold feeed intake to the holes or add an additional intake tubin
Ditch

28th May 04 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quite agree with what Blundey is saying here, if loads of holes are drilled in poor positions then its not gonna be as effective as it could!!

But if you were to drill your airbox then I think it would be silly not to have as many air feeds going to the holes as possible.

The point of this mod is to improve airflow, and if you can get some sort of ram-air effect buy sealing the ducts to the airbox then this could only be a good thing surely?

[Edited on 28-05-2004 by Ditch]
luca2020

28th May 04 at 12:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well weather ur right or wrong mate, its been proven that a drilled air box with an aftermarket filter gives more bhp than a induction kit and less than a viper kit

so why go out and spend 70 odd quid on a induction kit whn a panel filter will cost u 20 and u can drill the box ur self
MikeH

28th May 04 at 14:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the thing about a rolling road is it won't simulate the airflow over the car under normal driving so you can't be sure if its a true representation or not.
Mase
Premium Member

28th May 04 at 14:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well i had a drilled airbox and was pleased with the noise. It also made the car idle better for some reason ???? Today i fitted an induction kit and have found it has given me a bad flat spot in the middle/top of the rev range (ain't got no rev counter, so can't see what revs that is at.) Gonna get some more ducting an try it again, but so far all i have achieved is more noise with an induction kit.

Mase
MikeH

28th May 04 at 14:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

give the ecu time to adjust to the induction kit... that might help it.
blundey

28th May 04 at 15:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would rather be safe than sorry....may add bhp but what else is it doing?

Thanks for all the feed back though, it has been insightful.
Gavin
Premium Member

28th May 04 at 16:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by B19 GAV
i've taped up my holes.... had problems with my emissions when going through the mot!

it actually runs better with it taped up
and the zhorst soundz much louder and beefier with it taped up!

it was the lamba sensor which was the MAIN thing that was fecking up my emissions..... but my car was drinking so much petrol since i drilled the air box, and it had been runing lumpy....
i think that the increase mass of air coming in had messed up the mixture and may have contributed to my high emissions

car runs fine now.... mainly due to the lamba sensor.... but i think that the drilled air box has sumthing (maybe only a little) to do with the car running badly

pew pew pew pewwwww
RobHayes

28th May 04 at 17:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by j1400
you can ctua hole in the front left side of the aibox then drop a duct down the gap between th ebumpr and arch, then replace the original air feed with some larger flexi ducting. Not hay problem with that.

i have done this, used 4" ducting hose and gets plenty more air, sounds better as well
suzi-sue

28th May 04 at 17:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Drilled mine... goes and sounds shitloads better... end of
calidus

29th May 04 at 09:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got pics of the ducting robhayes talks about- and it does roar, anyone wanna have a quick ganders at the pics?
Mav 3000

29th May 04 at 10:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get em up mate
blundey

29th May 04 at 10:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

k

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll