corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » how hard r coilovers to fit compared to shocks/springs

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author how hard r coilovers to fit compared to shocks/springs
Icy

User status: Offline
16th May 04 at 00:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers
Snyx

16th May 04 at 09:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fitted a set of coilovers to my Honda CRX, wounld't have been any harder/easier to fit springs+shocks since they're essentially the same configuration as coilovers

[Edited on 16-05-2004 by Snyx]

[Edited on 16-05-2004 by Snyx]
TOMAS

16th May 04 at 10:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

easier - you dont need spring compressors
Icy

16th May 04 at 11:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

straight swap then?
sum1 told me u gotta sort the camber settings too etc?

hows bout setting the height?
TOMAS

16th May 04 at 11:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How low are you going? You dont necceserally need to sort camber unless your going lower than 60mm and if you do bring the wheels out to a more positive camber then you have issues with the tyres catching the arches as ive found. Height is easily adjusted by jacking the corner and removing the wheel. Then just loosen the lockring with the c-spanners that come with the coilovers and just wind them up to the desired height by hand/c-spanner. Drop is usually trial and error, make sure you measure each coilover to check you have the same drop each side and bear in mind it will get lower over the first couple of weeks as the springs bed-in.

Once you feel as though you have them set exactly how you want take a trip to the lazer alligners and have the tracking sorted and just get a camber and castor read-out for referance. Once thats done spray the coilover legs and treads with something like Hamerite Waxoil to give them a protective coating against the elements.
drunkenfool

16th May 04 at 12:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had to get the camber done on mine cos when you fit the new strut, it bolts on at the bottom, and the top bolt is the one for adjusting the camber. You cant just bolt them on, you have to set the camber. But generally, they are very easy to fit, first major technical thing ive done on my car all on my own, and its a great feeling when youve done it!
TOMAS

16th May 04 at 12:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I forgot to metion that as the guy says above some come with an elongated top hole to adjust the camber, so this would need to be done when you get the allignment done but no biggie. Again watch how nuetral you set the camber because it brings the top of the wheel outwards and can catch the arch more often.

New Poll