corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Jerkiness

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Jerkiness
H13X JW

User status: Offline
   2nd May 04 at 12:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Alrite ppl. I've got a problem with my 93 Corsa Sri. When i'm going along and lift off the accelerator to slow down the car jerks as if the engine is pulling it back. This has just happened over the past few days but one the way home from work today it was jerking when i'm accelerating

The revs have been ideling odd since this problem has surfaced. Occasionall it will be normal at bout 800rpm but its started ideling at bout 1200 which is leading me to think its the idel control valve ???? any ideas on how to stop this cos it's really annoying.

Cheers Alex
greengoddess

2nd May 04 at 12:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

take it off an clean it with carb cleaner
H13X JW

2nd May 04 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just checked the pipe leading to the map sensor there and couldn't see any splits in it so i dont think it could be that. Just incase someone replies sayin to check that.

Going to try to use the good old haynes manual to take this off now. never really done nethin like this b4, is it difficult ?

Cheers. Alex.
Tom J
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

2nd May 04 at 15:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not difficult, two torque screws, thats it, make sure u disconnect the battery leave it for a while ot reset ecu
MoNkEy MaGiC

2nd May 04 at 16:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i know wat its likely to be mate....
had it on my Gsi a while back but it cured itself some how for now..

its very common problem on the corsa ....
and most people say its most likely your Idle Control Valve!

if its not the ICV then im sure its the Throtle body butterfly, it opens to let the air in but when you ease of the gas it could be getting stuck and jammed which is causing the jerkiness due to the air still comming into the engine!

try giving that a clean to, or it mite need replacing

AndyW

2nd May 04 at 17:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

m8y 1.4 8v breeze does this too n its an 98 s plate
COR54 801

2nd May 04 at 20:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i've had the same problem on my corsa 1.2...... as soon as u take ur foot off the accelerator it seems to jirk! do you know how to sort this/by telling a garage?-kinda....wot to ask for them to check!
LukeGSi

3rd May 04 at 06:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds to me like air flow meter and not ICV. Whats the idle like? Try taking this off...

Then undo the 2 bolts holding it together and the black plastic bit is the air flow meter....

give it a good spray with carb cleaner but dont touch the filament with anything as they are so delicate
H13X JW

3rd May 04 at 09:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To be honest the ECU light has been occasionally coming on but dissapears after bout 30 secs. My mate mentioned that it could be summit to do with the EGR which he told me is a common problem when they stick???

It idles at bout 800 normally but when the jerkin happens it'll idle @ bout 1200rpm which aint good wen ur sat @ traffic lights. Monkey magic m8 how do i get to the throttle body butterfly ?? Cheers for the help ppl, will giv the air flow meter a try today if i get chance.
LukeGSi

3rd May 04 at 09:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the engine management light has come on it should store a fault code do the paperclip test that way you will know for sure what the problem is straight away rather than trying heaps of other things. Could be the EGR tho
H13X JW

3rd May 04 at 09:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers mate, just wondered if the paperclip test wud work as the ecu light doesn't stay on perminantly ?? just goes after a few secs. If mine's a 93-SRi 8V ALDL plug ??? how do i get access to the ECU in the 1st place ?

[Edited on 03-05-2004 by H13X JW]
LukeGSi

3rd May 04 at 10:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the light has come on at all it should store a code and iirc the ecu is under the kick panel under fuse box in driver footwell (someone please correct me if im wrong)
Kerry

3rd May 04 at 10:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also u can clean the egr with carb cleaner too and dont be scared to spray some into the inlet whilst the engine is running to clear any build up of carbon
Calum1577

3rd May 04 at 12:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I may be totally off but could be right. When u done it were u low on fuel?? I know it sounds daft but when my 1.4 8v Breeze (99) is lowish on fuel and it starts to run on all the shite at the bottom on the tank it jerks like mad when i take my foot off the gas.
LukeGSi

3rd May 04 at 12:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Calum1577
I may be totally off but could be right. When u done it were u low on fuel?? I know it sounds daft but when my 1.4 8v Breeze (99) is lowish on fuel and it starts to run on all the shite at the bottom on the tank it jerks like mad when i take my foot off the gas.

This is due to getting fuel from a garage with shitty tanks, when u get low on fuel you drag up a load of shite from the bottom of you fuel tank thus making it run pants
TOMAS

3rd May 04 at 13:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My 1.2 16v has been doing similar things over the past week, when I come off the gas at standstill or moving the management light comes on then as soon as I give it gas again it goes? Cant do a paperclip test on mine unfortunatly.
Idle has also been irratic at time, sticking at 1200 and sometimes constant reving up and down between 900-1400 all on its own! It does seem to drive ok, sometimes jerks but other than that its ok. Im guessing it MUST be something to do with idle if the light only comes on when I take my foot off the gas?
LukeGSi

3rd May 04 at 13:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tomas sounds like classic ICV that
livefastdriveyoung

3rd May 04 at 13:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had this problem with a p reg 1.2 trip I used to have, it was caused by the cooling temp sensor, had to replace it and it was fine after that
TOMAS

3rd May 04 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im 90% sure it will be but its clean as a whistle : ( Might be the perfect time now to shove that redtop in, cash has been sitting in my account for it for ages now, just need to find someone I trust that charges reasonable money and doesnt take shortcuts. Why cant Lee Mitchel live closer : (
LukeGSi

3rd May 04 at 13:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Go to Lee its not that from dude
H13X JW

3rd May 04 at 14:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

doubt its to do with the fuel as i've still got 1/4 of a tank and the ecu light was coming on b4 the jerkiness happened. I'm going to go and try the paper clip test now n hopefully it'll show me where to start.
H13X JW

3rd May 04 at 15:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've just done the paper clip test and it came up with some confusing codes. It's given me 3 faults with my car (As if 1 wasn't enough ) It's a GM-Multec ECU apparently so...

29 - Fuel pump relay (Low Voltage)
22 - Throttle Potentiometer Sensor (Low Voltage)
34 - Map sensor (Low Voltage)

Where do i go from here as i havn't got a clue what to do next Thanxs for any help n cheers for the help so far lads (And Lass )

Alex
H13X JW

3rd May 04 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone?
becks7

3rd May 04 at 16:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hi m8 i have a 93 corsa gsi and my car is showing the same signs as yours. i,m a technician and would say that your air flow meter is faulty as mine is or in your case it could also be the idle poisiton switch/sensor.
H13X JW

3rd May 04 at 16:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How would the airflow meter or idle position sensor generate those fault codes tho surely they must hav sum of their own n they wern't there. Cheers neway tho

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll