corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Programming Question

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Programming Question
Mav 3000

User status: Offline
30th Mar 04 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi,

I have a program written in VB6 which I want to enhance, but I'd ideally have a web interface. I need to pass information into Word and Excel (using VBA object libraries)

What languages could do this? Am I best staying with VB6 and VBA and forgetting the web front-end?

Thanks for any help,
Mav 3000

30th Mar 04 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BTW C++ or Java isn't an option - Its has to be VB to work with Word and Excel (hate C++) but the web front end - if I can, I'll use anything I guess.

I looked at DHTML Applications- can they pass variables to VB? thats all I need.

Rich
Craig6682

30th Mar 04 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've used VB6 a fair bit mate. Not done any interaction though wiv Word etc. I find it intresting and also C programming. Did my HCI course-work last week using VB
Dom

30th Mar 04 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you have an ASP server mate, you could do it that way ASP is basically VB, but obviously with a few changes here and then, but nothing major - commands, functions etc

not sure about DHTML though, you might be able to. Although what do you want the webpage to do? send data to a word/excel document or what?
Mav 3000

31st Mar 04 at 19:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi,

I think DHTML can do it. for work, we use mail-merge from an Excel datasheet to Word - then to print and email.

My program in VB is a form toinput the data, this then fills the excel datasheet, which then mail-merges into the word doc. this is then printed, and a copy emailed to some bloke - all automatically.

I want to replace the VB front-end with a web front-end but still use VB to communicate with Word and Excel. It needs to pick the variables from the web page-form, pass them thru VB6 to word.

I have read some stuff on MSDN and it is doable in VB with DHTML - using a DHTML application in Visual Basic 6's New Project menu. Making the web pages in Dream Weaver as it looks so much better than VB forms.

I'll let you know how I get on. I haven't used ASP but we haven't got a server for it at work and they wouldn't let me create one, and I hate C++

VBA - Visual Basic for Applications is amazing - basically anything you can do in word, excel, powerpoint, project, access or outlook - you can program - and you can use VBA from a VB program!

Thanks for the input guys...

New Poll