corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Updated: Good system? Any opinions/suggestions appreciated!

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Updated: Good system? Any opinions/suggestions appreciated!
mwg

User status: Offline
   14th Mar 04 at 14:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just wondering if anyone got any help or advice on whether the system Im aiming for is good as it is or could be improved?

So far got:
Headunit - Pioneer DEH-P7500MP 4 x 50w
Subs - 2 x Alpine SWR-1041D (10inchers)
Amp - Alpine MRD-M300 1 x 300w RMS (1 x 600w Max)

Going to get:
Speakers - Alpine SPR-176A 17cm components 50w RMS (200w Max)
Amps - Another Alpine MRD-M300 1 x 300w RMS (1 x 600w Max) so then Ill have 1 for each sub
Alpine MRV-T320 2 x 80w RMS to run the components
Obviously gonna get a powercap, wiring, sound deadening etc.

Im hoping that this all going to sound good! Im more of a SQ person really but obviously still want it to be loud! Bearing that in mind & that I mainly listen to dance but still want it to drop for when I play hip hop (Thats probably asking too much!) what size sub boxes should I go for? The recommended sealed box volume is 0.5 cubic foot min. and 0.8 cubic foot max. Thinking about mounting them with there magnets facing out but that doesnt make too much difference.

Do the Components ive chosen go well with the amp? And the mounting depth of them is 70mm anyone know if this gonna cause trouble with the window when they are down?

I know there is alot of questions there but any answers will be appreciated and any comments on anything else or suggestions also greatfull!

[Edited on 14-04-2004 by corsa_boy69]
mwg

14th Mar 04 at 16:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

anyone?!!!!!!!!! lol
mwg

14th Mar 04 at 17:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

know1 has an opinion! find that hard to believe!
Dom

14th Mar 04 at 17:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

first off mate, havnt got a clue about boxes, so i cant answer that question

However, yea the comps and the T320 match fine, just check that the RMS figure match (if the amp is pushing out another 10wRMS dont worry about it etc). However, if its a corsa B, your gonna have problems mounting the comps Even with autolead adaptors, you only have 64mm to play with You could make up some MDF rings to go ontop of the adaptors, but then you will have to cut out the grill in the door pockets...so you either 1) Cut out door pocket grills and add mdf spacers or 2) create custom door pods or 3) find that company that makes door pods for corsa's and see if theres will do the job

Only thing i can suggest is that you leave the powercap to the end, and instead upgrade your battery (yellow top or austin suggests a 1.7D battery from halfords works pretty well) then alt (look for a 75Ah, ask TOMAS he has one i believe). Otherwise a power cap will do sod all - if the battery cant feed enough power to it, then whats the point?

Dom
mwg

14th Mar 04 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers for that VisibleMan. I was thinking of getting a Optima Red Top Battery and Power Cap. The amp is 80w RMS and the speakers 50w RMS but the speakers have a max rating of 200w so hopefully 80w isnt going to bother them! just thought id check for peoples opions first before I went and blew all my cash! Anyone got any ideas on th sub boxes? Or anything else about the rest of the system?
Dom

14th Mar 04 at 19:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa_boy69
cheers for that VisibleMan. I was thinking of getting a Optima Red Top Battery and Power Cap. The amp is 80w RMS and the speakers 50w RMS but the speakers have a max rating of 200w so hopefully 80w isnt going to bother them! just thought id check for peoples opions first before I went and blew all my cash! Anyone got any ideas on th sub boxes? Or anything else about the rest of the system?

yea, red top will do nicely Althouh, leave the powercap out, until you have tested it with just the red top mate that way you can see how much damage the system is doing to the battery etc (lights flickering etc)

As for the comps and amp, i would make sure the gains are turned down, so you have about 60wRMS coming out, otherwise you have a good chance of blowing them
mwg

14th Mar 04 at 19:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ye i suppose thats a good idea trying it without the power cap. then I dont spend money that I dont need to if works fine without. ooooo thought that it wouldnt matter too much about the amp being a bit more powerful than the speakers recommend. I know people say ignore the max figure but I would have thought that 80w wouldnt have bothered them if they have 200w Max. Maybe have a rethink about the amp then but I want an Alpine one to go with the rest of the system! And that is the least powerful V12 in the range. Maybe just turn the gain down then. just hope its easy enough to do cos the one I have at the moment came with shit instructions!
Dom

14th Mar 04 at 20:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
ye i suppose thats a good idea trying it without the power cap. then I dont spend money that I dont need to if works fine without. ooooo thought that it wouldnt matter too much about the amp being a bit more powerful than the speakers recommend. I know people say ignore the max figure but I would have thought that 80w wouldnt have bothered them if they have 200w Max. Maybe have a rethink about the amp then but I want an Alpine one to go with the rest of the system! And that is the least powerful V12 in the range. Maybe just turn the gain down then. just hope its easy enough to do cos the one I have at the moment came with shit instructions!

when it states the MAX power, it means peak max power ie: it can handle 200w PEAK, so for a split second it could handle 200w. However, it wont last long using it all the time like that
If the speakers are 50wRMS, look for an amp thats around the 50-60wRMS range although look for getting a 60w, that way you know that the amp can handle 50wRMS without a problem etc etc

Yea, to be honest, powercaps are over rated If you have a decent battery (or split charging system) and alt you shouldnt need a powercap. You only add powercaps just to smooth everything down and just help ease the load off the battery abit when the amps need juice
To be honest i would fit the red top and see how it works and how well it charges up from the alt and if it plays up at all, then i can deffo say that it will be you alt not charging the battery up quick enough - so i would spend the money on the powercap towards a new alt if needed

Sound like its gonna be a nice little system though mate Will be interested in what you think of the alpine comps though
corsa-sxi

14th Mar 04 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats the same system im gonna get, but only with one sub and amp lol, where u getting it from? good prices?, im gonna get a package deal for a 1241D, mrdm300, box and wiring kit for £285
mwg

14th Mar 04 at 20:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

corsa-sxi: CD/MP3 player came from www.cel-direct.co.uk and amp & sub came from Hendon Car stereo. I paid £280 for the sub, amp, box & wiring about a year ago but now want to upgrade the system a bit more.

VisibleMan: Just been looking on the Alpine website and seen the new Alpine SPX-F17T Flagship 3-way components. they have a RMS of 75w so better matched to that amp. and I can afford them too. Have you heard something I should know about the Alpine Components? They usually get good ratings.
mwg

14th Mar 04 at 20:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And does anyone know where I'd be able to get some custom door cards (just the bottom bit) and how much Id be looking to pay?
Dom

14th Mar 04 at 21:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea, i would go with the Alpine SPX-F17T's, although there pretty pricey mate quick google, and there 500 odd quid but yea, if you can get them then go for it mate
However, you now have to think about another speaker and you obviously want to get the best sound outta them so its custom pods all round and alot of pissing about getting things in the right place , but they should sound MINT as

As for custom pods, there is a company that does them (search on here, or in google for corsa door pods) but there about 120 quid a pair. Although they only supported one speaker, ie: the woof/mid So you would have to mod them even further if you want to place the mid range in the pocket as well Might be worth putting up a "wanted" in the Classifieds and see if anyone has any pods going or if anyone is willing to make you some etc

quote:

Have you heard something I should know about the Alpine Components? They usually get good ratings

Yea, i was just seeing what ya think of them when you get them installed. Its just a personal opinion that Alpine gear is pretty pricey for what you get, but maybe thats because i havnt heard much of alpine's gear, i dunno. But alot of people give them good rating so Just do a few reviews of gear before you buy mate, just incase there are problems people have had or suggestions or tips etc

Also mate, i would recommend that you get in contact with a bloke called TOMAS (<-username on here). He has a full Alpine system in his corsa (3K's worth i believe) and he might have some tips, suggestions etc
mwg

14th Mar 04 at 21:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right cheers fella
mwg

14th Mar 04 at 21:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am getting mixed up. I meant the other comps that are more like £220! slightly different product code! so what comps would anyone recommend to run off the amp mentioned above? not bothered about make just sound and volume and good match to the amp!
Dom

14th Mar 04 at 22:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The SPXF137A's? these are 219 quid from CAD, although again there only 50wRMS

The SPX-F17T's are 75wRMS, but like i said 500 odd quid Apart from these, there the only ones that are 75wRMS Most of them are 30-60wRMS.

If you really want that amp, then i can only suggest another make for the comps - infinity, JBL, focals, DLS
mwg

14th Mar 04 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats wot Im thinking too. I want to keep all the boot Alpine you see but it dont matter about the front speakers so Im open to opinions on them! Really want that amp partly cos it looks good and partly cos it matches rest of proposed system! Got a budget of £250 max for the fronts. sos if i keep asking annoying questions but just want to get perfect!
Dom

14th Mar 04 at 22:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just looking up the amp mate, T320 - its 50wRMS @ 4ohms and 80wRMS @ 2ohms Its the T420, which pushes out 75wRMS @ 4ohms, 120wRMS @ 2ohms
So your perfectly fine in getting the original comps you were looking at

Also mate, just checking up on the MRDM300 and thats only 300wRMS @ 2ohms at 14.4v. Now the chances of you battery giving a constant 14.4v is fairly slim Although upgrading the battery and alt will help loads Anyways, the amp will be feeding about 200-250wRMS into a 2ohm load...just to let you know
mwg

14th Mar 04 at 22:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ye its setup in 2ohm config and it always reads around 14.4v on the amp display. I read 80w RMS on the Alpine website at 14.4v! But I suppose u will say that my battery will never produce 14.4v with all that stuff strapped on so it will be more like 50w RMS! am i right? if so ill just go with wot I was originlly intending! But still need someone to tell me wot size sub enclosures would be best as mentioned in original post! would TOMAS be able to help there do u think? cheers for your help VisibleMan Ill stop asking questions for today!
Dom

14th Mar 04 at 22:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
ye its setup in 2ohm config and it always reads around 14.4v on the amp display. I read 80w RMS on the Alpine website at 14.4v! But I suppose u will say that my battery will never produce 14.4v with all that stuff strapped on so it will be more like 50w RMS! am i right? if so ill just go with wot I was originlly intending! But still need someone to tell me wot size sub enclosures would be best as mentioned in original post! would TOMAS be able to help there do u think? cheers for your help VisibleMan Ill stop asking questions for today!

lol mate Yea just go with it and if ya worried turn down the gains...although you will have to turn them down alot for the first week or so to let them settle in etc
And yea tomas might know about boxes, but dont hold me to that mate
mwg

15th Mar 04 at 19:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone know wot sub box size see original post ^^^^^
mwg

15th Mar 04 at 20:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And anyone had experience with Red Top Batteries on a 1.2 16v? Like is the alternator upto charging it well enough? Dont really want to fanny about changing alternator if I can help it!
Dom

15th Mar 04 at 22:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
And anyone had experience with Red Top Batteries on a 1.2 16v? Like is the alternator upto charging it well enough? Dont really want to fanny about changing alternator if I can help it!

dunno mate, but alot of people have upgraded the 55Ah (think thats what in a 1.2) to a 75Ah alt though. And to behonest, its not the hardest job in the world to do (4 bolts hole it on i think), so might be worth going down scrappy and hunting one out
mwg

17th Mar 04 at 09:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wot alternator will my 1999 T sxi have on it? and wot car is the 75Ah alternator off? If I fit this alternator before I get my new battery will this cause any problems?

Still no reply on the sub box sizes.... ^^^^
mwg

18th Mar 04 at 19:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ttt ^^^^^
soundz_good

18th Mar 04 at 22:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you want to make the comps look a bit better then go to http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3085205744&category=14933&sspagename=STRK%3AMESSE%3AIT&rd=1

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll