corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » getting a 1.4 16v cos top for insrance/tax, heard bad things and told to avoid, why?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author getting a 1.4 16v cos top for insrance/tax, heard bad things and told to avoid, why?
uprated

User status: Offline
7th Mar 04 at 00:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

MY limit for tax and insurance reasons is a 1.4 16v corsa, i want one and know of one thats for sale, i want to snap it up, its in real good condition, engine and car, but have heard that the 1.4 16v engine, in fact all vaux 16v engines except the C20XE go wrong as a pastime every month or so and it usually expensive, so i have been told to go for a 1.4 8v SRi instead, as its cheaper, only a bit less power and a shedload easier to fix.

Just wanted your opinoins on the 1.4 16v engine and this situation

Ta
Neshol

7th Mar 04 at 00:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bit of an exaggeration
psycho sport

7th Mar 04 at 05:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i ve had no problems with my x14xe.
i always thought they are one of the better engines available!
Marc

7th Mar 04 at 11:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had my 1.4 16v for a year and it had 75k on it. Never had a problem with it.

[Edited on 07-03-2004 by 16vmarc]
uprated

7th Mar 04 at 11:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you see thats what i thought, but then the place i was enquiring said avoid like the black death, but i want the 16v

is there anywhere that can get hold of a good X14XE? cos this place says that the ones they get are in awful condition so they bin em

[Edited on 07-03-2004 by uprated]
antz1

7th Mar 04 at 11:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive had my 1.4 16v for a few months and gota say its bin bloody relieble, woz well quick till i put 17s on iy
ainsley_brader

7th Mar 04 at 11:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1.4 16vs do suffer a little bit with headgaskets but in three years and 40 thousand miles that the only problem i had with mine. Still wouldnt put me off buying one!
uprated

7th Mar 04 at 11:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmm, the only reason i listened to this guy is cos he does 16v conversions all day long
broster
Premium Member

7th Mar 04 at 11:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the 1.4 16v engine is great, mines worked a treat but iv got an electrical problem wihich broke my ecu, not the engines fault, prob mine for fiddleing wit hit!
sfxer

7th Mar 04 at 11:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

someone has been telling you porkys, either that or they have only ever seen really shit condition corsa's.
uprated

7th Mar 04 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

he says he gets the engines in then does the conversions, but i dunno if ed fit an engine i sourced myself. maybe i should look into that
Black Corsa SRi

7th Mar 04 at 14:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

maybe he's just tryin put u off them so he can make more money out of ya mate, sounds a bit like that from what u've said, although i dont know the guy so he could be totally legit obviously!
uprated

7th Mar 04 at 14:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well the 1.4 16v is actually more money, he said he was saving me money this way cos they are well expensive to put right, he was gonna get me a good complete 1.4 8v for £100
broster
Premium Member

7th Mar 04 at 14:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id go for the 1.4 16v mate, great little engine! and very tunable, the 8v will be older. 16v is the way forward!
uprated

7th Mar 04 at 15:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea this has been my intention since i thought about a transplant, now its to try and get this guy to do it, cos he seemed a bit apprehensive to put one in my car, like he knew it would be a shitter or something, damnit, nothings straightforward. Looks like operation "finally get my bloody car sorted" is starting off with a 1.4 16v, then some new wheels and finally lowering.

[Edited on 07-03-2004 by uprated]
ainsley_brader

7th Mar 04 at 16:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id look at getting someone else to fit it!
Sounds like he hasnt done one before and doenst want to do it!
corb

8th Mar 04 at 23:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If ur looking for an X14XE, I have engine, box, loom, ecu and shafts all for £300 collection. If ur interested!!
SRi_m00k

9th Mar 04 at 07:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i've had both engines...as long as theyre looked after u shud have no real bother...

i had a bit of bad luck with both engines but nothin to put me off vaux or the engines

try an make sure the timin belt AND TENSIONERS have been changed...these are known for chuckin emselves the odd time!!! and 16v's are more expensive to work at parts wise!! few more valves to bend ;-)
whitter45

9th Mar 04 at 10:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mates a mechanic and everyone at the garage where he works states the 8 valve engines are far better in reliability than the 16 valve engines.
Demo

9th Mar 04 at 10:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they aint much more hassle than a 8v IMHO. but if youre gonna be doing all the work on it yourself then i would consider an 8v as the ecotec is a twat to work on. the car was not designed for a DOHC engine and so the room under the bonnet is extremely minimal

and if you are planning on having all the work done professionally then the 16v will probably cost more than the 8v to have work done on
uprated

9th Mar 04 at 18:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the transplant cost is exactly the same for any engine i want to have fitted, if iwanted i could have a 2 litre fitted for the same amount
broster
Premium Member

9th Mar 04 at 18:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but surely a 2.0ltr is more work to fit?!
uprated

9th Mar 04 at 18:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im not an engine conversion expert,

??
Jambo

9th Mar 04 at 19:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

40k x14 Xe

0 problems
broster
Premium Member

9th Mar 04 at 19:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well look at the cost of a conversion kit for a 20lte engine! and why do people like beardy etc charge about 600 for a x14xe x16xe and 1500 for a c20xe?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll