corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Networking part 2

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Networking part 2
Melville

User status: Offline
11th Feb 04 at 09:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think this is a daft question but I just want to make sure before I order it

http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/hardware/productView.htm?quicklinx=25D5

it says "The Linksys Instant Broadband EtherFast Cable/DSL Firewall Router with 4-Port Switch..."

will this work on my BT Openworld connection??

Thanks
drunkenfool

11th Feb 04 at 10:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes it will, but you will need a sperate ADSL modem with an RJ45 (ethernet) output on it.
Melville

11th Feb 04 at 10:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah thats what I thought

thanks dude
drunkenfool

11th Feb 04 at 11:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This might be a better (and cheaper) option. Its what ive had running for the last 2 months and im really pleased with it.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=48449
Melville

11th Feb 04 at 11:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The only problem there is that it isnt a router with a friewall built in. Someone said to me that its worth getting a hardware firewall as there tough to get through?
drunkenfool

11th Feb 04 at 11:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

NAT built into the router will provide protection against people playing around with downloaded tools etc (people that dont know what they are doing, which is a large percentage - like people running back orifice scans etc.). Unless you have sensitive data, i personally wouldnt bother spending money on a hardware firewall. You can get programs such as zone alarm, or norton internet security (even a firewall built into XP now), which you can run on all the PCs. Obviously its your money though, and it is also nice to have more toys to play with.
Melville

11th Feb 04 at 11:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thing is this is for my work. Its a firm of accountants and we do have a fair bit of sensatitive information. Not that it would be any good to most people but the diff in prices were only £20 or summit so if its gonna be more secure then I think I'll opt for that one??
Antz

11th Feb 04 at 12:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Melville
Thing is this is for my work. Its a firm of accountants and we do have a fair bit of sensatitive information. Not that it would be any good to most people but the diff in prices were only £20 or summit so if its gonna be more secure then I think I'll opt for that one??

Most routers will work on BT, nearly all routers now have a built in firewall or some thing similar, if you are runng a business line then you can ask BT to firewall it at there end, it should be rovided on the contract, if you are just running a standard line then I think they provide minimal firewalling but you might need to go for the router with the best firewall (the one you was on about getting first of all)

Word of advice for BT BB users... BT are our main service providers here at Leeds City Council for schools and libraries... if you have a router on your network and something goes wrong they will always blame the router... take the router off the network and test it again... don't let on that you have a routher or they'll just fob you off with alot of shit!
drunkenfool

11th Feb 04 at 12:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i found this when i was with BT. "We didnt supply it, its not our problem" despite the fact that the router wasnt the problem! IMO BT helpdesk are the worst i have had to talk to so far.

New Poll