corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Butterfly Mod

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Butterfly Mod
Greasemonkey

User status: Offline
13th Jan 04 at 13:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it worth making the butterfly in the throttle body have a knife point edge, how will it effect performace due to the smoother air flow, will it be like 0.25BHP hence not worth doin, plus are the courtney exchange throttle bodies worth the money
broster
Premium Member

13th Jan 04 at 13:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i thought about doing this a while back, but when i spoke to miles(think it was him) he said that velos tested his and it was not restricting the air flow at all. may be worth doin as its not a hard job when u have a manzel power box, easier to get the trottle body, then get a dremel on it!
Greasemonkey

13th Jan 04 at 13:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah thats what i was thinking, i might not bother if its not restricting air flow, i might see though if i can mod a Nova GTE one to fit
broster
Premium Member

13th Jan 04 at 13:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i was gunna buy one of miles for a few quid and play with it but didnt bother in the end, he may still have a spare one, worth askin
miles

13th Jan 04 at 17:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a nova gte throttle body and a standard throttle body spare! I've never had them tested for flow, or said its not worth it, might be worth asking velos about it.

If its only a little extra power its not going to cost you much.
blackula

13th Jan 04 at 19:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some cars have gauze each side of the air flow meter sensor, thats a really crap thing as far as hindering airflow, its there in case your paper air filter element breaks up or gets soggy and bits fly towards the meter and damage it. If you have a k&n or similar its not an issue.

I did not fit my Dbilas myself, I have not looked in great detail as to whether Vaux engines have the gauze.

If they have its easier to remove it for extra BHP, than modify the butterfly.
broster
Premium Member

13th Jan 04 at 20:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by miles
I have a nova gte throttle body and a standard throttle body spare! I've never had them tested for flow, or said its not worth it, might be worth asking velos about it.

cant remember who else it could be! im well certain it was some1 off this board who has a 1.6 with a velos inlet, wolf in welsh clothing???
miles

13th Jan 04 at 21:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Removing the gauze is a simple mod with no disadvantages. I think the C16XE's have the gauze, and they are the only corsa with AFM's I think.

The C20XE's have the gauze.

Cant really be done instead of a tb mod as both should help.
Greasemonkey

13th Jan 04 at 23:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah me air flow meter has the gauze i will have to look at removing it, i am liking this GTE throttle body mod sounds interesting
blackula

14th Jan 04 at 00:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got a copy of an American mag, Sport Compact car from a few years ago, removing the Gauze from a 1.6 Nissan Sentra ( basically a booted almera/pulsar) with about same power as Gsi, so at least in similar air flow stakes, netted 4 bhp and a similar gain in torque, at the WHEELS. Cheap mod, but Nissans have two lots of gauze, one either side, don't know the logic in that.

If anyone does it though and the airflow meter fucks up, don't blame me.

I knew someone who did it on a 1.0 Micra (60bhp) and said they could feel a diff. Who knows.
micra_pete
Premium Member

16th Jan 04 at 16:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

micras only have one set or gauze, however doing the valve mod does release good gains on our cars, i still have the gauze on, cos it seems to catch ass sorts of little bits of crap (with a k & n) did the same with the standard filter, velos are ace
blackula

16th Jan 04 at 16:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was thinking that yeah one set of gauzeon the K11 Micra, its Maximas that have two, I remember ripping it out and adapting a Subaru Impreza cone filter using two nuts a few cable ties and some instant gasket. Top bodgeup.
miles

16th Jan 04 at 17:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How can bits pass through the air filter but he caught by some course mesh?
Corsa^Dan

16th Jan 04 at 18:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no he means bits FOMR the filter it it starts to break down

New Poll