corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » CAN I RUN THESE COMPS OFF THIS AMP?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author CAN I RUN THESE COMPS OFF THIS AMP?
rob_watti

User status: Offline
6th Jan 04 at 12:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IVE GOT THE ROCKFORD FOSGATE 851X 110W x 4 AT 4 OHMS, IT ALSO SAYS IT RUNS AT 215W x 4 AT 2 OHMS, COULD I RUN SOME 6OHM SPEAKERS OFF THIS BECAUSE I REALLY WANT THE FOCAL 165 K2P COMPS? IF NOT CAN SOMEONE PLEASE RECOMMEND SOME SPEAKERS OF THE SAME HIGH QUALITY THAT RUN WELL WITH THIS AMP(i.e at 4ohm). I WAS MAYBE THINKING OF THE ROCKFORD FOSGATE FNQ3614, THESE WOULD BE A PERFECT MATCH FOR THE AMP, WOT DO U THINK?
ALL FEEDBACK WILL BE GREATFUL CHEERS. ROB
TOMAS

6th Jan 04 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Turn caps lock off.

Where the hell have you found some 6ohm components? As virtually ALL components are 4ohm.

Do you JUST want to run a set of components off that 4channel Rocky amp?

If so and you want to make THE most of that amp then I say go find yourself a set that can take approx 150-175wrms and 4ohms. You then BRIDGE the 4channels into two seperate channels (left and right) and hook them to that. Im sure that Rocky amp should be able to do that, it should push out approx 200wrms x 2 when bridged at 4ohms.

If not then you want to go and find yourself a set of components that can take 75-100wrms at 4ohms. Hook them to two of the channels and then you have the other two channels for use in the rear.

If you want to make full use of that amp and get complicated come and talk to me about running some components ACTIVELY.

[Edited on 06-01-2004 by TOMAS]
Dom

6th Jan 04 at 17:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can you get 6ohm comps?
Btw, someone was saying something about using monoblocks for comps, ie: one monoblock per channel, would there be any advantage doing this than over a 2channel amp etc?
Tomas, what do ya mean by running comps actively? usually, have a an active speaker means it has its own amp...ive got a feeling that its sumthing to do with the monoblock thing
TOMAS

6th Jan 04 at 17:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Monoblocks USUALLY cant play above 200Hz so they are useless for anything other than subs/midbass.

No I wasnt on about the monoblock thing with Active. Running them Active means scrapping the Passive crossovers that the comps should come with and running the tweets off of their own two channels with the crossing over being done by the amp and then you run the middrivers off of their own two channels again being crossed over by the amp itself. Your amp does need VERY GOOD crossovers though to do this and take advantage of running them Actively.

[Edited on 06-01-2004 by TOMAS]
rob_watti

6th Jan 04 at 18:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.incarmedia.com/en-gb/focal_k2_165k2p.html . it says on this spec list that these focals run at 6ohm inpedance
rob_watti

7th Jan 04 at 14:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ttt
TOMAS

7th Jan 04 at 16:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As ive said, the Focals WONT suite so forget that idea! Now go looking for some 4ohm 75-100wrms components in the price bracket your wanting to spend. Also my friend, you talk about quality. Well from experience quality is 90% install (fitting the speakers) and 10% product. I can make a set of £50 components sound very good.
rob_watti

7th Jan 04 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why wot do u do different to every body else sir tomas??
Dom

7th Jan 04 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by rob_watti
why wot do u do different to every body else sir tomas??

lol
Nah, he means placement of the speaker, suitable amp, use of dyamat etc etc Nothing special involved in that mate And its all about trial and error, although some physics helps too
TOMAS

7th Jan 04 at 17:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sir TOMAS

No im trying to say that people just shove 4screws in a speaker and bang it in a hole and wack it up...

Placement yes, seal the cavity as much as possible, some dynamat and the easy ones dat SOOOO many people get wrong is setting up the gains and crossovers!
Dom

7th Jan 04 at 17:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by TOMAS
Sir TOMAS

No im trying to say that people just shove 4screws in a speaker and bang it in a hole and wack it up...

Placement yes, seal the cavity as much as possible, some dynamat and the easy ones dat SOOOO many people get wrong is setting up the gains and crossovers!

Yeah, exactly, nout special with all of that gains...get ya self a oscilloscope and make sure the the sine wave isnt distorted, theres a rough guide around here about how to set it all up . As for crossover, well....thats a personal preference Plus it all depends on your setup too, so what ya do is get some top quality recorded CD's, play them in all of your mates setup, hifi - everywhere you can, then wack it in your car and you will have an ideas how it should sound and adjust it all til it does. Do the same with the others and you will end up with a setup that should sound MINT over a range of stuff (btw, the above isnt as easy as i make it, but isnt as hard as some say )

Btw, i had to do this when setting up my home recording studio, but it wasnt as bad since monitors are flat lined and thats how you want it...but obviously you adjust it alittle so it sound right in the room etc.

New Poll