corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » help with system!!!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author help with system!!!
kingkazi

User status: Offline
31st Dec 03 at 11:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im changin my whole system after i get my bodkit on late jan/early feb. i wanna put in components at the front, one 12" sub. i have alot of ppl in the back usually so is it better for me to but some more speakers in the back? or a pair of components with tweeters? i shud be also running a power cap! ill have an amp running the sub and probably amp up the front speakers and rear ones if i have em.
also can sum1 explain the ins/outs of crossovers 2 me. what they do? why need em?etc.
dnt need any help with makes/models cos i know what ill b having!!

any help appreciated!! cheers!

[Edited on 31-12-2003 by kingkazi]
baza31

31st Dec 03 at 12:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i mite be wrong, but as far as i know a crossover filters out bass/mid/treble so u´´d put a crossover that filters the treble on ur tweeters.
TOMAS

31st Dec 03 at 16:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you power some Components up in the front properly you'll find people in the back can still here them plenty in the back, if you do fit rears though a simple set of 5.25" coaxels will be sufficient and they dont want too much power, 30wrms is fine.

As mentioned above Crossovers filter out some of the sound going to speakers. They are needed because a single speaker cannot reproduce all the sounds we hear properly and sometimes if they do try it can damage the speaker, thats why we have subs (for low) mids (for midrange) and tweeters (for real high treble).
If you try and get a tweeter to play full-range (all the frequencies) it will burn out VERY quickly!

As a VERY rough guide subs want to be playing below (low pass or LP) 80Hz and Components want to play everything above (high pass or HP) 80Hz but that is very rough and depends on exact speaker specs. Also people talk about crossover slopes i.e 12dB per octave/ 24dB per octave and so on. Well this is how quickly they cut off the sound.
You have to imagine it as a graph, with frequency going horizontally across, the higher the dB the steeper the downward slope at the chosen cut-off point.
EVERY crossover allows some of the cut frequencies to bleed through i.e a 80Hz LP will still allow SOME frequencies above that i.e 100Hz through but the amount it lets through depends upon how steep the slope is i.e 12dB will let more through than 24dB...
The Higher cut-off slopes are usually found on the higher-spec/more expensive amps and the cutoff frequency is USUALLY at a fixed rate set by the manufacturer i.e 12dB per ocatve or 24dB per octave. Some are adjustable like on my Alpine H.Unit to allow you to super-tweak your system and to allow you to do little tricks like make the sub sound asthough its infront of you but thats a whole nother topic...
kingkazi

31st Dec 03 at 17:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thnax alot 4 ur elp lads!! iv got an alpine as well m8 so ill try that out!! but it aint gonna b in like i sed till feb so ill stick with the pioneer i got in now and work on that wen i cum 2 it!!
TOMAS

31st Dec 03 at 18:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure which Alpine h.units have the feature, i dont think many do. Mine is the 7998R and I paid £800 for it when it first came out over here
kingkazi

1st Jan 04 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

iv got a cda 7893r.
was selling it but got diff plans now

will dat hav the feature? seems like a phat system
baza31

1st Jan 04 at 14:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fuckin hell TOMAS u dint say i was wrong! u feelin alright?
TOMAS

1st Jan 04 at 16:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New Poll