corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Cat back exhaust fitting

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Cat back exhaust fitting
Nath

User status: Offline
22nd Dec 03 at 23:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

DIY or garage job? If garage how much roughly should i expect to pay?

mike_1.2LS96

22nd Dec 03 at 23:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IN this weather, garage
Nath

22nd Dec 03 at 23:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

True but is it easy if i DIY'd it?
essexracer

23rd Dec 03 at 00:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fit it urself m8, is easy, hardest thing is takin old exhuast off (thats if its bonded on, otherwise hardest thing is jackin up car and puttin on stands )

basically undo clamp on back box, remove back box, then do the same for the centre section and refit the new system.

james
Nath

23rd Dec 03 at 00:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Current back box is less than a year old so that shouldnt be a problem. Think i'll do this myself then Same day as i do my 2 litre brakes i reckon, two birds with one stone and all that.

Cheers fella.
Nath

23rd Dec 03 at 00:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What kinda bonding substance do i need to use to attach the back box to the centre section, and centre section to cat?

BTW i am not a total novice, just dont wanna fuck it up
essexracer

23rd Dec 03 at 00:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh and u may need to buy some new exhaust hangers, depending on how the back box sits...my sebring back box tail pipe sat to high to u used a ford rubber hanger which is longer, so the tail pipe sat lower.

james
Nath

23rd Dec 03 at 00:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll bear this in mind. Cheers.
essexracer

23rd Dec 03 at 00:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nath
What kinda bonding substance do i need to use to attach the back box to the centre section, and centre section to cat?

BTW i am not a total novice, just dont wanna fuck it up

u shouldnt need any bonding (like "gumgum") as the centre section should fit fine instide the cat pipe, and same as with the back box and end of the centre section.

james
essexracer

23rd Dec 03 at 00:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

should all be a tight snug fit (well my sebring was)

once u have fitted it, turn ur engine on and look for leaks, put ut hand arround the joins and feel for air.

if u cant fix any leaks (by twising the pipes and retightening them with the clamps) then use some gumgum (its a paste) and fill the gamps with that. though u shouldnt need to.

james
vibrio
Banned

23rd Dec 03 at 10:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

max of £25 to get it fitted
Stu_22

23rd Dec 03 at 10:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A lot less hassle to get it fitted.

Paul_J

23rd Dec 03 at 11:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bit more hassle for me - the 1.2 16v Sxi's Exhaust system is 1 whole thing going all the way to the cat (which sits on the exhaust manifold) ... so fair enough we took the back box off, but then it was a huge pipe (including center section) that was all 1 thing.

Had to saw through the pipe manually, and then clamp the new system over the top. It was raining, dark and in the end we just took it to a garage lol. Trying to saw through a exhaust with a little hack saw is not easy lol
CorsAsh

23rd Dec 03 at 12:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
Bit more hassle for me - the 1.2 16v Sxi's Exhaust system is 1 whole thing going all the way to the cat (which sits on the exhaust manifold) ... so fair enough we took the back box off, but then it was a huge pipe (including center section) that was all 1 thing.

Had to saw through the pipe manually, and then clamp the new system over the top. It was raining, dark and in the end we just took it to a garage lol. Trying to saw through a exhaust with a little hack saw is not easy lol

Ahh, the joy of owning an angle grinder...
essexracer

23rd Dec 03 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

though paul is right...i had to do that on a rover once...and u av to use a small hacksaw as u need room under the car to move the bloody thing!

james
broster
Premium Member

23rd Dec 03 at 13:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

iv had to do that on a nastra once, it was on its side fortunatly, which made it easier!
Nath

23rd Dec 03 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gonna see how much my local garage charge before i decide. If it's reasonable then i'll let the grease monkeys do it.
dannycorsa c

23rd Dec 03 at 18:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when they changed my zorst the old 1 was a bitch to get off! and it was only 5 months old like the car! well bonded on it was! they had to cut thru the old 1 to get it off
Nath

23rd Dec 03 at 18:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My current one was put on in januray and its an aftermarket. I'm taking my corsa to where i got that fitted to get my new one done.

New Poll