corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » -40 mm camber? / tyre wear

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author -40 mm camber? / tyre wear
Ant

User status: Offline
22nd Dec 03 at 16:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My tyres are wearing very badly on the inside. Well just the near side actually. Tracking is spot on had it checked. It had a bump about 6 months ago on this side, inner wing snd wing had to be replaced. Could something be bent suspension wise or is it just i need top adjustable mounts to sort this all out.

sits -40mm on 205/40/17s

Any advice would be apretiated on how to save me a few bucks on tyres!!
TOMAS

22nd Dec 03 at 17:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nah you shouldnt need adjustable top mounts (they are not suitable for daily road anyhow) Something is definatley wrong, i'd say toe isnt set right but if youve had it all checked Castor isnt adjustable so one would assume its set correct, but if its had a bump it may have been knocked out? Take it to a place that can do a proper toe,castor and camber check.
Ant

22nd Dec 03 at 20:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok will do, mat try new wishbone bushes also, a mechanic friend sugested these may cause a problem. Why are the adjustable top mounts not suitable for road use?

They used a laser system to check the tracking but said they did not have the equipment to check the camber.
CorsAsh

22nd Dec 03 at 23:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its me and tomas gettin into this again - mine's also lowered 40mm, and wears on inside of tyres, no other reason than the camber - ive got quite a lot from what i remember.

Camber cant be adjusted on a corsa, so you're stuck with it I'm afraid unless you get your adjusters...

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=106504

[Edited on 22-12-2003 by CorsAsh]
TOMAS

23rd Dec 03 at 11:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

NOPE you can EASILY adjust the camber by elongating the top hole where the bottom of the damper bolts to the hub. You must ONLY elongate the top hole, a file should do it and ive been told that even Vauxhall recomend this method. Once youve elongated it you slide the damper over into the fresh section youve filed out and bolt it up tight.
The top mounts are solid billet aluminium (no rubber) and although they give a real precise turn and feel they have no shock absorbing properties so you feel EVERYTHING and they cause the steering to be very twitchy, also the bearings wear out fairly quickly in them.

I'd definatley get the allignment checked especially if its just one wheel. Sounds daft but do you go around a lot of roundabouts quickly as this would put more wear on the one tyre...
CorsAsh

23rd Dec 03 at 11:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

alright, you can adjust it by filing the hole, fair enuff, but I meant theres no adjustment like there is with the tracking...

The roundabouts thing is a valid point too - so many round Cov, my left front wears like hell!

BTW, Tomas, did you get my u2u?
TOMAS

23rd Dec 03 at 11:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yup, jus replied
Adam

23rd Dec 03 at 13:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by TOMAS
Nah you shouldnt need adjustable top mounts (they are not suitable for daily road anyhow)

Yes they are
Adam

23rd Dec 03 at 13:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

reading this thread your mods sound a bit dodgy, buy the proper camber ajustment kit, it's only £130 + fitting
broster
Premium Member

23rd Dec 03 at 13:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im gunna get some of those top mounts soon, got a huge list in front of me of bits that i need! shame i dont have the money to make my wish list reality!
TOMAS

23rd Dec 03 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Adam if this is getting back at me for the other post when I was pi55ed give up
They are not recomended for daily driving, Rally Design, Transautosport and Demon Tweeks Motorsport who sell them ALL say that they wouldnt fit them to a daily-drive car. They are far to hard (damage chassis more quickly) and also the bearings in them will wear out quickly. If you dont believe me do a search on MIG (who's members tend to be a LOT more mechanical-orientated than ours) and ask the people who run them with their coilovers.

The method of elongating the top hole is approved by Vauxhall, if you dont believe me ask them, so its not dodgy! £130 + fitting is a lot of money to adjust camber when a file + adjustment is plenty good enough.

Im sorry if I was abusive to Stark, it was an old argument between us, but I bet noone in managment sent him cold U2U's making threats when he was abusive.

New Poll