corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » help...juddering under breaking!

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author help...juddering under breaking!
essexracer

User status: Offline
19th Dec 03 at 13:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JAMIES CORSA
COULD BE THE SLIDERS NEED GREASING THE CALIPER MITE NEED FREEING OFF MINE DID THAT ALL THE TIME WAS SORTED WITH GREASE

sliders?

wat sort of grease? copper grease?

ttt

james
Greg_M

19th Dec 03 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive had the same problem since fitting my alloys? any ideas?
TOMAS

19th Dec 03 at 17:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah alloys will do it if they are not fitted perfectly/buckled or not ballanced. I have had alloys do this MANY times! just keep spinning them 1 bolt/ swap them around until they stop causing it. Actually it could be drums but not if the steering wheel shakes. I have warped two sets of drums in three years, mainly due to the brake bias valve being set wrong!!

If your steering shakes then its brake/suspension/steering related. If its JUST the brake pedal giving judder feedback then I guarentee it will be warped drums.
essexracer

20th Dec 03 at 01:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i looked at my drum shoes today and they had 4mm left except one which had about 1mm left! (haynes manual says minimum should be 5mm)

so i bought some new ones and iv fitted them. iv taken my car out for a quick spin and the breaks perform fine! theres no judderin anymore!

but i did ntice that the back left drum makes a noise sometimes wen i break

also my handbreak is shit now. it only locks the rear wheels on the 11th click of the handbreak!!!

i tried to adjust it but the fucking adjusting bolt has bured (because it was rusty and now its fucked) and thus the spanner slips on it! so how can i adjust it?

and finally the break feel aint that great; you have to push the pedal further before it bites. why is this?

cheers,
james
Dom

20th Dec 03 at 08:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

replace the handbrake cable is the easiest solution mate As for the low bite on the brake, you might need to bleed them to get rid of any air etc. Also top up on your brake oil
essexracer

20th Dec 03 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers for reply

i suppose replacing the hadbreak cable would be the easiest solution, but it will be quite a bit of hassel wont it, as il have to open up each drum and reconnect the new cable (wont i?)

i checked my break oil and it was fine (was full!) so i cant top it up!

and as for bleeding i think i may try this, though i have never done this before. will i need to buy a bleed kt?

james
essexracer

20th Dec 03 at 12:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh and what do ppl think the noise from the back left drum is wen i break?

im a bit worried about it, im hoping its just the new shoes bedding in

james
essexracer

20th Dec 03 at 17:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bump
CorsAsh

20th Dec 03 at 22:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by essexracer
oh and what do ppl think the noise from the back left drum is wen i break?

im a bit worried about it, im hoping its just the new shoes bedding in

james

if its a grinding noise, don't worry about it. Mine does that too, its either your new brakes bedding in, or its some dirt from the road thats got between pad and drum. Will be more apparent on left side as more muck/salt etc accumulates at the side of the road (esp at this time of year), so its more likely to get in there...
essexracer

21st Dec 03 at 00:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

went to get a new handbreak cable today but the shop was out of stock, so i ordered one, should get it monday.

and i bought a bleeding kit, so il do that 2mo.

any tips on bleeding the break fluid system?

james
essexracer

21st Dec 03 at 22:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i bled the system 2day and it doesnt really feel any different.

you still have to push the peddle down a lot before the breaks bite.

do you think this is because i have no handbreak at the mo? (theres no tension in the cable)

hopefully my new handbreak cable will arrive 2mo and il fit it then. will sort out my prob

y is the break pedal feel shit?

cheers,
james
Kris TD

21st Dec 03 at 23:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds like the rear drum mech isnt put back together properly, or the little star shaped clips might be broken, its suprizing what those broken can do, the pedal travel will be loads, feel really spony and the handbrake will be crap. i would take the drums off and check this first, same happened on mine, got some of the new star clips and it solved it instantly, it meens that the rear brakes and the handbrake cant self adjust so the rear drums hardly do anything.
essexracer

21st Dec 03 at 23:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers for reply chris.

lol i just read wat u said basically in a thread i found in a search i just did...u said sumic like the clips r 8p lol

i dont think the clips would have broken! and im 100% sure i put it back together correctly.

i screwed that fork think together and put the clip on the highest setting of the cog thing. and when i pressed the break pedel i heard the clicking sound (assuming it adjusted itself!)

when you fit new shoes does the handbreak need adjusting? i would assume so, and as i cant adjust my cable (as the adjusting nut is burred to badly!) i need to buy a new cable.

am i right? or have i just not fitted that adjusting spring thing in the drums right, hence y the handbreak is so slack; so therfore if i fitted it correctly it would make my handbreak fine!?

lol i hope u understand that!

james
Kris TD

21st Dec 03 at 23:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the handbrake is adjusted by the same mechanism as the rear brakes are, the clicking noise. mine still made the clicking noise but it didnt do anything, it may be worth just spending 20 mins checking that they arent broken. yeah they are like 8p might aswell change the hendbrake cable anyway, its only about 15 quid for both of them.
essexracer

21st Dec 03 at 23:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok. i think i will check the adjusting mechanism 2mo before i go and get the cable. hopefully i set it up wrong and it will work after i fix it.

if it works should i bother wih replacing the cable? suppose i should as i cant adjust the one i have at the mo.

u say its only 15 quid (wat i expected to pay) for both of them?

i only need the back right one (with the adjusting nut). i think il av to buy the whole lot though

back to this adjusting mechanism...how do u adjust it then? i dont want to do it wrong again 2mo (assuming i did it wrong the 1st time)

cheers
james
Kris TD

21st Dec 03 at 23:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i paid £13 for both cables, nbot worth only doing one cos you will only have to do the other at some point in the future.

just check that the clips arent broken, then check they are both the same. a good method i have is even if im only going to fiddle with one drum i take them both off and copy how to put it back together .
essexracer

21st Dec 03 at 23:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kris TD
a good method i have is even if im only going to fiddle with one drum i take them both off and copy how to put it back together .

thats wat i did the 1st time, i didnt put the drum back on the 1st side, so that wen i did the other side i could copy the assembaly.

oh yea... i found it very hard to pull the drums off (obviously i took the washer/baring/nut off 1st ) any tips? as each time it made one of the shoes slip out of position and i dont want that to happen 2mo as i wanna see how they r!

james
Kris TD

22nd Dec 03 at 00:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not being funny, but did you make sure the handbrake was off when you took the drums off?

could try slakening off the handbrake cable
essexracer

22nd Dec 03 at 00:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea i made sure the hand break was off it said to do so in the haynes manual!

wat u mean i could slacken the handbreak cable? oh, to help wen takin the drums off 2mo... lol well the cable is bloody slack at the mo so i shouldnt have a prob takin them off and if i could slacken the cable i wouldnt be buyin a new one 2mo my adjuting nut is fucked so thats y im gettin a new cable.

ok cheers for ur help kris! much appreciated

i just hope all goes well 2mo, wish me luck

james
Kris TD

22nd Dec 03 at 00:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

good luck, see if that helps, if not ill have another think.
essexracer

22nd Dec 03 at 00:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers bud! i was actually thinkin that maybe im avin this prob coz the handbreak cable couldnt be adjusted, so a new cable adjusted so its normal (taught instead of slack like it is now!) would sort it out!

though i think that sounds stupid now, and that ur right, that i didnt adjust the adjusting mechanism properly!

james
essexracer

22nd Dec 03 at 22:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

FIXED THEM!

u were right chris, the clip thing had slipped off in both drums.

so i reconnected them, and put the drum back on, pushed the break pedal, heard the clicking noise, then i opened up the drums to check it hadnt slipped off again, but it had!

that well pissed me off, and i couldnt understand why, then i realised it must be to do with the hand break cable being so slack.

anyway i then went and bought my cable (was 9 quid, i just got the short cable with the adjuster bolt) but it didnt come with the special nut that goes on the adjusting bolt (my one is fucked thats y i was buyin a new cable!) so i went to vauxhall and got one, was 2 pound odd.

so i fitted the new cable adjusted it, then did the drums....

and now my breaks r sound the pedal feel is much better

i recon the adjusting clip kept slipping coz the handbreak cable was slack (so therefore there wasnt enough tension on the shoes, if u see what i mean lol)

cheers for ur help chris, much appreciated

james
Kris TD

22nd Dec 03 at 23:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no worries fella, glad i could help
goodfellow

16th Aug 05 at 14:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if the car has been sittin for a long time then the front discs will warp.

it isnt possible to see th disc has warped the tell tale signs are when u put ya foot on the brake.

take it from me i'm a mechanic.
ash_corsa

21st Aug 05 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

think the prob will be sorted by now goodfellow! this post is 2years old!

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll