corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » hw fast is a corsa b 1.2 16v is there any go faster mods??

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author hw fast is a corsa b 1.2 16v is there any go faster mods??
leecorsa18

User status: Offline
15th Dec 03 at 19:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what power they gt any one got one with go faster mods
mike_1.2LS96

15th Dec 03 at 19:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.parkers.co.uk/choosing/tech_data/index.aspx?range_id=449
blackula

15th Dec 03 at 19:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They ain't fast, about 65 bhp but some say its 75.

On a Corsa B I'd stick in a 2.0 lump.

Insurance and finances allowing.

Otherwise if you have the cash the Dbilas manifold and its like would set you back at least 600 quid and gives at least 20bhp.

But that is 600 odd quid or more towards a bigger engine.

If yo uwant instant power make your car lighter, the less power you have (in this case 65-75bhp) the more weight is a factor, so take out your spare wheel and tool kit. Not brilliant but cheap as chips.
leecorsa18

15th Dec 03 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

110 or nt that fast
blackula

15th Dec 03 at 19:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

book says about 105 or something, and they over rev..short gearing
Paul_J

15th Dec 03 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it is 75 bhp (well the Sxi is Corsa B and Corsa C) as proven by Rolling road results - myself included.

Blackula is one man who knows what he's talking about though, he modded his 1.2 16v with the dbilas flowtec manifold and got 105 bhp from his!!

Though, as the man says, for the cost you could be putting a 1.6 16v in or saving for a 2.0 16v.

standard 1.2 16v sxi has 75 bhp, does 0-60 in about 11.5 seconds (close ratio gear box) and does about 106-110 mph - I've seen 117 mph on the clocks of mine, but that was down hill and with speedo inacuracys. Apparently Vauxhall released slower official figures to keep it in group 3, although I believe insurance companies, know about it and thus charge it as group 4?

Paul J
M4rk P

15th Dec 03 at 22:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

theres a go faster mod called a c20xe. works a treat
vibrio
Banned

15th Dec 03 at 23:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you can get an inlet manifold for them from dbilas adn then you could fit an exhaust manifold, a straight through system, a filter, some head work and some cams and you 'd proabbly se around 105-110hp
Paul_J

15th Dec 03 at 23:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

vibs read above, blackula fitted the dbilas inlet manifold + had a dastek chip and got 105 bhp on the rollers...

thats with a standard exhaust!

full system + decat, + head work + cams and your looking more like 115?
leecorsa18

16th Dec 03 at 16:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok peps cz insurance want 1800 for a sport so im going to gt sxi and do some go faster mods nt say shit and im happy its a nippy little motor and insurance no shit ha ha ha hope i dont crash what sort off money am i looking at to gt 110 bhp out off it and hw fast will it become then
Paul_J

16th Dec 03 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by leecorsa18
ok peps cz insurance want 1800 for a sport so im going to gt sxi and do some go faster mods not say shit and im happy its a nippy little motor and insurance no shit ha ha ha hope i dont crash what sort off money am i looking at to gt 110 bhp out off it and hw fast will it become then

Yeh, I msut admit that is one advantage if you get away with it, you basically have GSI or more performance, with Sxi insurance providing you don't crash.

Afterall, its not like a engine conversion, at the end of the day, you were insured on a 1.2 16v and its still a 1.2 16v.

Don't know if I'd take the risk, but it is a definate advantage of tuning a 1.2
leecorsa18

16th Dec 03 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hw much for the work needed
luca2020

16th Dec 03 at 22:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
quote:
Originally posted by leecorsa18
ok peps cz insurance want 1800 for a sport so im going to gt sxi and do some go faster mods not say shit and im happy its a nippy little motor and insurance no shit ha ha ha hope i dont crash what sort off money am i looking at to gt 110 bhp out off it and hw fast will it become then

Yeh, I msut admit that is one advantage if you get away with it, you basically have GSI or more performance, with Sxi insurance providing you don't crash.

Afterall, its not like a engine conversion, at the end of the day, you were insured on a 1.2 16v and its still a 1.2 16v.

Don't know if I'd take the risk, but it is a definate advantage of tuning a 1.2

wrong, u wont have gsi performance

u may have similer BHP, but due to the fact its a 1.2 u will have fuck all tourqe compared to the gsi, and tourqe is the main factor for faster times

at the end of the day u could throw 100s or 1000s at the 1.2 engine, when with all the money uve spent u could just save up for a year or 2 and get a 1.6/20 conversion

at the end of the day its ur money, ur car, u decide on what u wanna do with it, im just telling u the facts
blackula

16th Dec 03 at 22:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not telling the insurance is a bit of a risk, you'd have to weigh it up.

To be honest if yo uwant speed throwing cash at an sxi is probably not worth it, as you can buy cheaper faster cars even if you pay insurance cost they are cheaper, I mean GSi's go on Ebay cheap so do 1.4 Sports, the 1.4 being a good compromise on speed and insurance.

vibrio
Banned

16th Dec 03 at 22:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
vibs read above, blackula fitted the dbilas inlet manifold + had a dastek chip and got 105 bhp on the rollers...

thats with a standard exhaust!

full system + decat, + head work + cams and your looking more like 115?

so the dastek and the inlet gave him 30hp.

do you have your before inlet graph and after the dastek was fitted. be interesting to see the gains mid range
blackula

16th Dec 03 at 23:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine has 60 bhp wheels with a drilled airbox.
Otherwise std. Thats about 20% tranny loss over quotes 75 bhp flywheel figure.

I fitted the Dbilas and got a Dastek, which was needed as when you get the manifold new it needs the chip.

This netted 78 bhp wheels. which is about just under 100 flywheel or something. Thats 18bhp wheels gain which is about the claimed flywheel of 22hp gain.

I later fitted a k&n element, a cold air feed to airbox, junking the inlet pipe trumpet resonator thing and I got a powerflow system retaining the cat and std cat manifold. I got it RR again and was using optimax, and continued using it. I only gained another 5 bhp wheels.

Thats 83 wheels bhp or about 105 fly, but the car seems faster now as its done 10,000 miles and had loosened up.

If I keep it it'll get a 2 litre of whatever type fits into the Corsa C, but not for a year or so or more.

The other reason its relatively quick is I junked lots of weight of it.
The brakes are pretty crap though.

Its not as driveable as a simialr powered 1600 either as the power it all up the top end, when you get to like 4000 rpm it sounds like a high powered motorbike, its like Vtec.

On the std car you can feel the power come in at about 3500 - 4000, quite cammy for a poxy engine, peaky, and then the power drops off at 5500 rpm, but this pulls well past 6000 rpm.

Its not spectacular by any means, but its nippy.

[Edited on 16-12-2003 by blackula]
Paul_J

17th Dec 03 at 00:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by luca2020

u may have similer BHP, but due to the fact its a 1.2 u will have fuck all tourqe compared to the gsi, and tourqe is the main factor for faster times

at the end of the day u could throw 100s or 1000s at the 1.2 engine, when with all the money uve spent u could just save up for a year or 2 and get a 1.6/20 conversion

at the end of the day its ur money, ur car, u decide on what u wanna do with it, im just telling u the facts

erm, firstly - bhp is worked out from your torque figures, so to get 105 bhp - you need to have torque * revs = 105 bhp. Ok, the GSi might have more torque (note might, since even they were restricted as standard and are thus a bit strangled) - but even if the 1.2 16v has less torque, to produce the same power - the torque must continue further along the rev range - which isn't necisarily a bad thing as blackula a standard one sorta drops off after 5500 rpm, but this keeps going strong past 6000 rpm.

Secondly, who's talking about spending 1000's? we're not talking about turboing or supercharging, we're talking about possibly doign what blackula did and get a 2nd hand dbilas manifold from ebay for a few hundred quid, then getting a dastek chip - and if this guy doesn't declare it on insurance, he's got a pretty nippy, cheap to insure car (not that I'm saying that not declaring things is a good idea)...

Yes, dropping a 2.0 16v or even a 1.6 16v is the best cost effective way of getting power, but this guy probably won't even get a quote on a 1.6 let alone a 2.0 - so this is simply - not an option

Paul J
Paul_J

17th Dec 03 at 01:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The other thing some of you are forgetting. Anyone can beat a Saxo VTR or something like that with a 2.0 16v Corsa. However if you can beat a Saxo VTR with a 1.2 16v thats something more to be proud of.

Hell, at the moment I beat some bigger cc'd cars than myself with my relatively standard 1.2 16v Sxi - It's not all about power, I've got a full suspension kit on mine and a lot depends on the driver you are.

So many people think it all revolves around straight line speed, but if your racing someone along a twisty downhill dual carriage way, or around a race track - being able to take corners faster than the other guy is as big a thing as having the power to blast down the straights.

And even on the straights, skill on knowing when to change gear and changing gear effectively counts too! - Some people here remember seeing me beat that 1.6 16v Corsa Gsi down Santa pod earlier this year and that was in my Sxi.

Basically, being able to have the bottle to take a bend faster than someone else, makes a great deal of difference, as if you back off then you have to build up the speed again - however, if they back off and you carry you speed through the corner you can accelerate from the new speed your now doing.

About that insurance thing again, even if he was to get insured on the 1.2 16v with the engine mods it'd still be cheaper to insure than a GSi as a lot of insurers only add 10% for engine mods.

My final point is, I'm sure a 1.2 16v with a dbilas flowtec manifold weighs a lot less than a big 2.0 16v redtop that everyone keeps talking about dropping - so it should handle a bit better and not understeer as much.

Overall, when you look closely there are some big advantages to having a 1.2 16v with a dbilas inlet manifold, even if most people discard it because its simply a 1.2.

Paul J
corsa-sxi

17th Dec 03 at 01:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive got a 1.2 16v corsa c, they are quite nippy, what do u say will gimme 105bhp?
dbilas Inlet manifold,
and dastek chip?
if i was buying them new how much would they be inc fitting etc?
Paul J, u beat a 1.6 gsi? with a std 1.2 sxi? u must be a good driver lol, how much lowering u got?
Paul_J

17th Dec 03 at 01:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

40mm, I am a good driver, but no offence to her - the driver of the Gsi was female

corsa-sxi contact regal autosport, I think they sell a whole kit of dbilas flowtec manifold along with the chip and possibly cams? all rolling roaded by them.

email sales@regal-auto.co.uk for more info.
luca2020

17th Dec 03 at 03:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by luca2020

erm, firstly - bhp is worked out from your torque figures, so to get 105 bhp - you need to have torque * revs = 105 bhp. Ok, the GSi might have more torque (note might, since even they were restricted as standard and are thus a bit strangled) - but even if the 1.2 16v has less torque, to produce the same power - the torque must continue further along the rev range - which isn't necisarily a bad thing as blackula a standard one sorta drops off after 5500 rpm, but this keeps going strong past 6000 rpm.

Secondly, who's talking about spending 1000's? we're not talking about turboing or supercharging, we're talking about possibly doign what blackula did and get a 2nd hand dbilas manifold from ebay for a few hundred quid, then getting a dastek chip - and if this guy doesn't declare it on insurance, he's got a pretty nippy, cheap to insure car (not that I'm saying that not declaring things is a good idea)...

Yes, dropping a 2.0 16v or even a 1.6 16v is the best cost effective way of getting power, but this guy probably won't even get a quote on a 1.6 let alone a 2.0 - so this is simply - not an option

Paul J

Tourque gives the acceleration yer, so where is the peak tourqe on the 1.2? if its above the rev limit then the 1.6 will win as the 1.6 peak tourqe is in a usuable rev range

also i said 100s OR 1000s, u can easily spend over a grand on a 1.2, and a standard 1.6 will still beat it, blackula has done well to get a 2nd hand manifold, which reduces the cost, but still if u put it this way: exhaust system £200+, decat = £50 odd, Dbilas dynamic FLOWTEC-inlet manifold = £810!, unichip = £200, R&R = £50 + fitting = £200/300+ and what would that give? 110bhp? if lucky

thats alot of money on getting similar performance on a 1.6, u may as well save up and wait till u can afford to insure a 1.6 or 2.0, BUT as ive ALLREADY said its his money and he can spend it as he wishes, if he wants to spend it now good luck too him, i hope his happy with his achievements
Paul_J

17th Dec 03 at 09:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes luca, but it totally depends on the route you take. RR is included in the package, I'm not sure about fitting, but it comes with detailed in depth instructions, so thats a part of your cost gone. You don't have to have afull decat exhaust system as proven by blackula, but most people doing this mod will probably already have a full exhaust system.

So at the end of the day your looking at £810 new, and that possibly includes cams - or try and find a 2nd hand one like blackula did.

You keep saying, drop a 2.0 or 1.6 in, or wait until your old enough to insure one.

But at the end of the day its his choice, and if he wants to spend £700ish quid now, for a faster car - I'm sure he'll probably be able to sell the manifold and chip to another sxi owner 2nd hand when he decides to move on to a 2.0 16v or whatever else.

The money he saves from only paying insurance for a 1.2 rather than a 1.6 or 2.0 can actually help pay for his 2.0 16v conversion when he is old enough to insure one.

All I'm saying is alot of people say 'Wait a few years and drop in a 2.0' - why should you wait a whole 2 years being bored, when you can have a little fun while you wait?

[Edited on 17-12-2003 by Paul_J]
vibrio
Banned

17th Dec 03 at 12:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by blackula
Mine has 60 bhp wheels with a drilled airbox.
Otherwise std. Thats about 20% tranny loss over quotes 75 bhp flywheel figure.

I fitted the Dbilas and got a Dastek, which was needed as when you get the manifold new it needs the chip.

This netted 78 bhp wheels. which is about just under 100 flywheel or something. Thats 18bhp wheels gain which is about the claimed flywheel of 22hp gain.

I later fitted a k&n element, a cold air feed to airbox, junking the inlet pipe trumpet resonator thing and I got a powerflow system retaining the cat and std cat manifold. I got it RR again and was using optimax, and continued using it. I only gained another 5 bhp wheels.

Thats 83 wheels bhp or about 105 fly, but the car seems faster now as its done 10,000 miles and had loosened up.

If I keep it it'll get a 2 litre of whatever type fits into the Corsa C, but not for a year or so or more.

The other reason its relatively quick is I junked lots of weight of it.
The brakes are pretty crap though.

Its not as driveable as a simialr powered 1600 either as the power it all up the top end, when you get to like 4000 rpm it sounds like a high powered motorbike, its like Vtec.

On the std car you can feel the power come in at about 3500 - 4000, quite cammy for a poxy engine, peaky, and then the power drops off at 5500 rpm, but this pulls well past 6000 rpm.

Its not spectacular by any means, but its nippy.

[Edited on 16-12-2003 by blackula]

no offence but you cannot say that you have got so much at the fly. on the rollers you got an 18hp increase @ the wheels. then when you fitted the filter and exhaust you got 83 @ the wheels. so you have gained 23hp @ the wheels. this is a good amount however een when you do the step down test you can get lower wheel power but higher fly figure and vice versa. 105hp could be a bit much of a guestimate but I don't think you are far off. maybe you should get the car remapped now as you are using optimax and have the exhaust/filter on
vibrio
Banned

17th Dec 03 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

And even on the straights, skill on knowing when to change gear and changing gear effectively counts too! - Some people here remember seeing me beat that 1.6 16v Corsa Gsi down Santa pod earlier this year and that was in my Sxi.

Paul J

what time you get ?
vibrio
Banned

17th Dec 03 at 12:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
40mm, I am a good driver, but no offence to her - the driver of the Gsi was female

corsa-sxi contact regal autosport, I think they sell a whole kit of dbilas flowtec manifold along with the chip and possibly cams? all rolling roaded by them.

email sales@regal-auto.co.uk for more info.

or buy the inlet and take it to someone who knows what they are doing

New Poll