corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Spraying with metalic paint

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Spraying with metalic paint
Melville

User status: Offline
25th Nov 03 at 11:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it different to spraying with a solid colour? And are there any ways to get a good colour match?

Cheers
Melville

25th Nov 03 at 11:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

anyone?
daryll

25th Nov 03 at 12:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its a lot harder to get a colour match with metalic, and you have the problem of getting an even spead of flakes.

I dont know how acurate this is but a spray paint shop told me that if youve never done it before then you would struggle to get better than a 60% match.
Red_SXi

25th Nov 03 at 12:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That sounds like bullshite i'm afraid Daryll.

I colour coded my mates car.......

This is arden blue which is metallic, i done it with cans from halfords, not even a compressor !!

I think its easier to get a good job with metallic because its lacquered and therefore allows you to rub down the base coat before the lacquer is applied to get a good finish
MattyB

25th Nov 03 at 12:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When i did my interior bits for my corsa, i used Ford Azure blue, which was such a gorgeous, almost "flip" type colour. Was like an arden blue + carrabic blue together.....

anyway, back to the point. whilst spraying, i found it pretty hard to get an even coverage of flakes, dispite loads of practice with solid colours etc.

Therefore i reckon gettin a good finish from cans wud be pretty tricky. Well harder than solids.

The best tip would be, take your time to build up light even coats!

Matt
Melville

25th Nov 03 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers guys.

Think I might give it a bash on summit I can get from a scrappie and see how it comes out
Melville

25th Nov 03 at 13:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh and another thing....what sort of time scale are we talking about to get it off fully prepared and sprayed cos I dont have a garage so my car will be on the drive with no bumpers and shit!!

mike16v

25th Nov 03 at 13:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u can remove a bumpoer in a few minutes, then really it depends on how fast/slow u r and how much help u get from mates etc
Red_SXi

25th Nov 03 at 13:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends what you're planning on doing? Flattening out the textured effect on the plastic parts of the bumper takes quite a while, you can drive around with no bumpers tho, just stick your rear plate in the rear window and front plate on the metal bumper
Rob H

25th Nov 03 at 13:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Melville
Oh and another thing....what sort of time scale are we talking about to get it off fully prepared and sprayed cos I dont have a garage so my car will be on the drive with no bumpers and shit!!

Depends how good a finish you want. If yo uwnat it looking perfect, expect to spend a good few hours just rubbing one arch down untill its totally smooth.
Greasemonkey

25th Nov 03 at 13:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i take it your gonna paint inside, bodshops spray cars in a clean environment with air purifiers and what not, the dust in the air will cause the finish to be a bit pants, best advice is to spray in a garage, make sure its warm, wet the floors down to settle the dust, i am gonna get a compressor soon and start like you are with bits from the scrappies!!!
Good luck mate hope it goes well for ya, the painting takes no time its the sanding down and the preperation work that makes it a long job, if it takes 2 days all the better cos it means the finish will be better cos you have but the time in on the preperation
Melville

25th Nov 03 at 13:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks again. Im gonna spray the parts in my garage, I just cant get the car in cos my dad has all his work stuff in there, but I can shift that for a few days while Im spraying
cobra148

25th Nov 03 at 14:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can't give you any tips for different techniques between using solid and metallic paint, but I painted my scuttle with paint mixed at a local paint factors and put in an aerosol can. I can't tell any colour difference between that and the original paintwork.

Red_SXi

25th Nov 03 at 14:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also with metallic when you've finished the base coat (in this case arden blue) before u spray the lacquer rub it down with 1200grade wet and dry so it looks dull (not shiny), when you do this it shows any imperfections because the dips in the paint stay shiney where the wet and dry hasn't touched them, this allows you to get a perfect finish before applying the lacquer.
Melville

25th Nov 03 at 14:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

will this not mean I get a dull finish or do you spray it again after youve rubbed down the base coat?
Red_SXi

25th Nov 03 at 14:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no the lacquer gives the dull finish the shine, i was worried when i first did it but it turns out real good
Melville

25th Nov 03 at 14:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh I get it!

Thanks for the help

You might be getting a U2U if I get stuck lol
Melville

25th Nov 03 at 15:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what about the weather? does it matter if I was doing it in my garage? Is it best to stick a heater in there so its a decent temp?

New Poll