corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Pioneer head-unit problem

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Pioneer head-unit problem
Deepan

User status: Offline
   24th Nov 03 at 14:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got a problem with my head-unit.

Basically, it's a Pioneer DEH-P6400R, the 2002 model with the blue OEL display (dolphins and all that crap). I have standard components running off the head unit directly which is fine because I also have a Pioneer 12" sub powered by an Alpine class-D digital amp.

The head unit has two RCA pre-outs... fronts and sub. This can also be changed for front and rear (no sub). Obviously, I have it set to front and sub (I'm not using the front RCA pre-out).

With the sub on, the front speakers work, but if I try and wire up 6x9's so they're running off the head unit (yes, I know, but only for test purposes) nothing comes out the speakers. In this situation you cannot fade the sound between the front and rear, only balance (left and right) so I cannot fade all the tunage to the rear (for the 6x9's).

Changing the head unit so it's setup for front and rear RCA pre-outs, the rear speakers work fine (6x9's), as do the front speakers, but the sub is on as well (obviously because the RCA leads are in the sub sockets which is also the rear in this situation). However, the vocals and mid-range etc are all going through the sub, and there is no way of turning up the bass (or down for that matter) from the headunit and you cannot change the LPF cut-off frequency because it's not in Sub mode.

Can anyone shed some light here please? Why, in front+sub mode, does the headunit not put anything through the rear speakers (6x9s) yet it does in front+rear mode?

Any help please?!

Thanks

-[ Deepan ]-
Richie

24th Nov 03 at 14:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mate i have this unit in my mothers shogun. When the unit is off you hold down FUNC to get into the setup menu. Keep pressing it till you go to the end and it should say REAR SP. Now this is where you get to control the INTERNAL amp of the headunit. If you set it to SW only, any rear speakers that are connected to your headunits amplifier will only output low frequencies. Use up or down to change this to FULL. Then your 6x9's will output full frequencies. BUT to still have ur amp running the sub from ur headunits RCA's, you need to press left or right on the same setting until SW. Control: INT appears. Once you have done that, exit the settings.

Turn your unit on, and keep pressing audio until SUB-W1 appears. Press up or down to turn it to NORMAL. Then the sub should be working
Deepan

24th Nov 03 at 14:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the reply mate, but your suggestion didn't work.

I held down the FUNC button, and I thought this was different to what I was doing - I was holding down FUNC and the power on button which brings up the same setup stuff.

Basically, if I keep pressing the FUNC button, it doesn't come to REAR SP. All I have is SUB, where the options are either FRONT+S/W or FRONT+REAR.

Or am I missing something?

If set to FRONT+S/W I get the SUB-W1 and SUB-W2 functions but having it set to FRONT+REAR doesn't give me any sub functionality.

Still stuck... Any other ideas?
Dom

24th Nov 03 at 16:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quick solution, wack it to front and rear, then on your amp for your sub, there should be a cut control and set it so it allows all freq's up to 80Hz (or higher if you wish, but dont dont set it higher than 500Hz, otherwise your gonna start getting other shite coming through).

This is only a quick fix btw ...i would try and get your HU to do all the work though
Deepan

24th Nov 03 at 17:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, I did think of doing it that way... However, there is no way of raising or lowering the output from the headunit (pre-amplified output) so always constant output which can be a pain.

However, as you say, it does offer a quick fix. Thanks for your suggestion
Dom

24th Nov 03 at 17:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea, but surely if its set to front & rear, then it will be volume controlled?

New Poll