corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » want to get an MFD, what connections?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author want to get an MFD, what connections?
uprated

User status: Offline
20th Nov 03 at 17:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my car hasnt got the wiring for an MFD, but i want one for the clock etc, what are the necessary connections for it? just a 12v and earth or is it a tad more complex?

Ta
James@CCC

20th Nov 03 at 18:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its more complicated, id guess there was about 10 wires to it, but i dont have a clue where they all go/ come from.

Itll be a ignition live, an earth, one goes to the headunit, but if you have an aftermarket headunit this wont matter, and then a fuck load of other wires.

Ill have a look in the maynes manual see if i can be more helpful...
Kris TD

20th Nov 03 at 18:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

look at the wiring diagram in the back of the haynes manual, it will show you wat colour goes where
James@CCC

20th Nov 03 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok, ive had a quick look, not in too much detail tho, and found their are actually 12 wires. 7 are to do with the headunit, but i cant believe that it takes this many to say 'radio 1' or wotever, so i dunno wot they do but u dont need them.

Another 2 are used going to and from an outside temperature sensor, so ull also need one of these and mount it whereever it goes.

Yet another 2 go towards the dimmer by the headlight switch ( in my opinion the most annoying fucking thing in the world)

Another couple go to the instrument panel i believe, and then youve got an earth.

So it is quite complicated, but if you just want temp, date and time, i reckon you should be able to get away with an ignition live, an earth and two wires for the temp sensor.
uprated

20th Nov 03 at 20:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

kay,, i dont want it to be involved with the head unit, and i dont have a dimmer control, (it annoyed me too, kept hitting the thing and dimming the lights, so i had it removed)
im not bothered about the temp sensor for now, but in future, or when i can be arsed, yes ill buy one.
i just want it to come on when i turn the ignition off and go off when the ignition is off, oh and keep the time, so its gonna have to be connected to a permanent 12v too isnt it
ainsley_brader

20th Nov 03 at 22:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if a corsa doesnt have an mfd whats there instead? any pics?
NeilRocks

20th Nov 03 at 22:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IMPORTANT.

If you a getting a MFD from a scrappy do the following.

After un-screwing the screws behind the vents lift up MFD.
You will see the loom attached to the MFD.

Do not pull it out!!!!!!
Why? Because pulling the plug that is connected to the MFD will fcuk up the connectors inside the Unit.

Instead cut the wire loom about 3 inches and get it with the plug still in the MFD.
I have broke 3.

The bloke above.
I think their is a little shelf thing to put things on.

[Edited on 20-11-2003 by NeilRocks]
uprated

20th Nov 03 at 23:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea, theres a crappy plastic cover that goes over the hole

New Poll