corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » More Urgent ENGINE help needed

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author More Urgent ENGINE help needed
Greasemonkey

User status: Offline
18th Nov 03 at 08:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right took the head off put it back on, it turned over about 5 times and then stopped, the starter motor makes a buzzing sound when the keys are turned whats wrong it was fine before, all wires connected help
Greasemonkey

18th Nov 03 at 09:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I aint smashed the pistons into the valves have i, the timing marks are spot on so that canrt be it, only other thing i can think it would be is maybe i put the exhaust cam on the inlet valves and the inlet cam on the exhaust valves but even then it would still turn over and the valves wouldnt touch the pistons cos they would just be opening when they should be closing surely
carnoisseurcraig

18th Nov 03 at 09:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

DOH, Sounds like summin is stopping the cranck turning. and if its only the head you took off then id be taking it off again and finding out what the problem is. It could be a few things. The problem you had before has got worse and your cams wont turn over the rocker arms, the pistons are hitting the valves, causing the starter to buzz under load. take the plug off cylinder number one. Put a a pencil into the hole and turn the cranck pulley. Check to see if your piston no 1 is TDC when the timing marks are even.

either way the head is gonna have to come off again. Which means new head bolts cause these are stretch bolts as you probably well know and wont provide a sufficient seal if used again.
Greasemonkey

18th Nov 03 at 10:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The engine will turn by hand, if ya stick a socket on the crank pulley you can turn it that way, the timing is definately right, i mean it turned over a few times then made a noise like the starter motor was spinning and not engaged now the starter just buzzes!!!!!, can you only bolt the gear box bell housing on if the input shaft is engaged
miles

18th Nov 03 at 11:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The inlet and exhaust cams are pretty much identical.

The cams rotate twice for every rotation of the crank, so you could time it in with piston 1 at bdc, but if its turning by hand then the timing must be ok.

What did you do to the head whilst it was off? What did you change? Did you find the problem?

The starter might be fooked, if you can turn it over by hand then there cant be too much load on the starter. Check its engaging the flywheel, if it is give it a whack with a hammer
carnoisseurcraig

18th Nov 03 at 11:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you can turn it by hand then like miles says the timing is good.

Id check the starter. Basically just do what miles says. Are you getting good compression when turning over by hand?
Greasemonkey

18th Nov 03 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no i didnt find the problem with the new head, i am putting the old one on for the mean time til i can find the problem, all the valves open now, springs are all fine but it seems like the valve springs are too tough and the lifters carnt cope.
The lifters are meant to be solid, you shouldnt be able to compress them by hand should ya.
hammer sounds good
Paul H

18th Nov 03 at 11:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the lifters only go solid once they are full of oil.you should be able to press them in with ease when there new.
Greasemonkey

18th Nov 03 at 11:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they are like a bucket with and excuse my french, a nipple inside, on some lifters you can compress this nipple real easy on others it solid wont budge
i thought the broken ones were the compressible ones, they were all solid when they were brand new!!!!.
Paul H

18th Nov 03 at 11:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

must be different now then mate on the old vaux engines it used to be the other way round
leafgreencorsa

18th Nov 03 at 11:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the engine turns over by hand then it just sounds like the starter has jammed. I'd either remove it or thump it to see if that frees it.
miles

18th Nov 03 at 14:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your meant to be able to move the small piston inside them. You can knock the insides out of them and physically check to see if the spring is broken. They are hydraulic lifters, not solids
Greasemonkey

18th Nov 03 at 14:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hhmmm, in the haynes manual it quoted, before fitting the lifters immerse them in oil and charge the my hand by compressing them but i couldnt do it cos the inside wouldnt move!!!!, i am seriously thinkin about jacking in the modified car scene i have had about as much as i can take.
so would you re-use the lifters that do compress or put the ones that dont back in!!!
oh and there is no way you can get the gearbox bell housing on with out the input shaft engaging is there, cos you put it in gear turn the wheels and the engine dont turn!!!
miles

18th Nov 03 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Take the lifters apart and see if the spring is broken.

Just because they do or dont compress isn't conclusive as to whether they are broken or not.

I wouldn't have thought you could fit the box without it engaging. You sure the linkage is fitted properly? And its not stuck in neutral?

Rome wasn't built in a day!
jjcymru

18th Nov 03 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this happened to me before, i belted the starter with a hammer and it sorted it out.
ainsley_brader

18th Nov 03 at 19:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not just flat battery is it?
What was the problem before?
Mikorsa16v

18th Nov 03 at 20:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have u tried a new starter/hitting the starter motor, how old is the starter motor, could it be fucked? bearing solid or something
DangerousDave16v

18th Nov 03 at 21:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mite sound foolish but,are all your tools present? its easy to lose small bits in to dark holes.
sounds like the starter is incurring resistance. has it been off?

backtrack and retrace your steps.
i can relate to your situation.take your time.hope youve got another car in meantime
Greasemonkey

19th Nov 03 at 08:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right all back together now, turning over and starting but, its rough as a dog only just holds idle and the metal on metal banging sound is there again and has now been sorced to the crank!!!!!near number 1 piston but hard to say for definate. Its a metallic sound bangs once per revolution, the sound is like the crank hitting the sump but it aint thats what it sounds like, it wouldnt be the water pump would it, there was no timing marks on it!!
Greasemonkey

19th Nov 03 at 11:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

/\ still need help
JJ

19th Nov 03 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New lifters come pre filled by vaux, thats why they feel solid when new, how bad is the bangin noise??
Greasemonkey

19th Nov 03 at 12:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

real bad, its definately bottom end now, so would a water pump make this noise i didnt align the timing marks on it cos there wasnt any!!!
If you hit the engine block with a hammer just light it will make a sound just like i am getting, its that bad
bradfincham

19th Nov 03 at 12:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

check the water pump, mine went on my 1.4 16v
Greasemonkey

19th Nov 03 at 12:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

does it make this kind of noise then when they go, and do they need timing up
bradfincham

19th Nov 03 at 12:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine was a lump lump type noise, wasnt too loud tho, when u revved it got faster so had to be something with the engine

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll