corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » The Official F1 Season 2015 Thread

New Poll
  <<  36    37    38    39    40    41    42  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author The Official F1 Season 2015 Thread
Dave

User status: Offline
10th Sep 15 at 10:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They should be, they are pretty much becoming Ferraris B team.
Kyle T
Premium Member

10th Sep 15 at 10:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by djgritt
Surely if RBR go for Ferrari, and want to bring STR into the same circle; Horner & Marchionne would have a little word with Bernie and a regulation change to allow Engine Manufacturers to supply 5x teams would conveniently come around...

I can see benefits to both, for years RBR ran Renault whilst TR were on Ferrari engines.

When both on the same engine, they effectively get a development team running every race weekend - but if they end up with a sucker of an engine, perhaps a bit of insider knowledge on a Ferrari lump wouldn't have gone amiss...

I'm not sure where the 4 team limit came from, but presumably it's to balance the field. Let's face it, we'd have a grid full of Mercedes cars come contract renewal if the rule wasn't in place.

Manor are using 2014 Ferrari engines if I remember correctly, perhaps for that reason they don't fall into the 4 team limit.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ben G

10th Sep 15 at 13:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by whitter45
quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
Bare in mind that Haas will also be using Ferrari engines.

are they definitely confirmed to race though - heard stories they won't be ready

As far as i'm aware, they're in for next season. That's according to the skysports F1 team anyway.

Is there a deadline for them to pull out without any financial penalty?
tom130691
Premium Member

11th Sep 15 at 07:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Virtual tour of the pit garage of Ferrari

http://scuderiaferrariuncovered.shell.com/
nibnob21
Premium Member

15th Sep 15 at 18:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Didn't realise how similar their stats are:

MX5 Project Thread
Kyle T
Premium Member

15th Sep 15 at 20:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been following the 41 wins from 161 starts stat for a while, media doing their best to jinx it now that we are one race away!

Impressive record(s) nonetheless.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
tom130691
Premium Member

16th Sep 15 at 13:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Senna didnt start life in a McLaren, but still really impressive
Tiger

16th Sep 15 at 21:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Renault boss has been ranting today:

Ghosn said: "We have already alerted the F1 authorities and told them: 'Don't count on us as a provider of an engine - it's over.'"
Tiger

16th Sep 15 at 21:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by nibnob21

Very difficult to make comparisons with what must be like driving prehistoric technology. I would love to see Hamilton drive the 1988 Maclaren though at, say, Monza to make a more comparable side by side video.
Steve
Premium Member

17th Sep 15 at 06:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd like to see you making less racist comments in future
Kyle T
Premium Member

17th Sep 15 at 08:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tiger
quote:

Very difficult to make comparisons with what must be like driving prehistoric technology. I would love to see Hamilton drive the 1988 Maclaren though at, say, Monza to make a more comparable side by side video.

That's the whole point, two different drivers in two different eras of the sport and technology with uncannily similar statistics, all prefixed by the fact Lewis has openly wanted to emulate Senna's career in the best way he can.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ben G

17th Sep 15 at 11:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why do people always say the older generation were better? Same thing has happened with Rooney.

What would you like them to do? Go back in time and be reborn in a different era? They can only be the best at their sport in their time.

It's hardly Lewis' fault the game has moved on and they're driving spaceships compared to the old stuff.
Tiger

17th Sep 15 at 11:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
Why do people always say the older generation were better? Same thing has happened with Rooney.

What would you like them to do? Go back in time and be reborn in a different era? They can only be the best at their sport in their time.

It's hardly Lewis' fault the game has moved on and they're driving spaceships compared to the old stuff.

Well I blame Lewis for everything that happened in the sport, and the fact he drives a spaceship.
A1EX

17th Sep 15 at 12:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tiger
quote:

That wouldnt be a fair comparison either, i'm sure Lewis wouldn't be able to drive the older car to Senna's standard and Senna wouldnt of been able to drive the newer car to Lewis' standard neither straight away.
Tiger

17th Sep 15 at 14:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I meant if they both had each other's cars for a day, for example.
A1EX

17th Sep 15 at 15:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ahh i get ya, i imagine Lewis would do better driving an older car than Senna would of in a newer car with all the technology and changes that need to made on the fly.
Ben G

18th Sep 15 at 01:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Definitely. Senna would need a lot longer due to the complexity of the steering wheel controls alone, let alone learning how to sufficiently charge up the batteries.
whitter45

18th Sep 15 at 06:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pointless agruement in some regard

Key element is how the championships are won

For merc they have dominated so one of his championships was default apart from his team mate possibly winning it

Even Schumacher had a few championships that were default

[Edited on 18-09-2015 by whitter45]
Kyle T
Premium Member

18th Sep 15 at 09:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

For merc they have dominated so one of his championships was default apart from his team mate possibly winning it

As with Senna's 1988 WDC.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
whitter45

18th Sep 15 at 11:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
quote:

As with Senna's 1988 WDC.

agree - not taking it away from Hamilton, Schumacher (who I am a massive fan of) and senna but titles won in which cars dominated is very different to when it went to the final race

Consider when Alonso won his 2 titles - he was challenged to the end. 2006 Schumacher could have won it but punctured made sure he didn't in the last race
Vettel was challenged to the end a few titles although they had a dominent car
Hamilton 2008 pushed by Massa
Kimi pushed by hamilton, alonso and massa
schumacher 2000 with Mika
schumacher walked it in 2001
Schumacher was over a 100 points ahead of the next team in 2002
Schumacher 2003 was 2 points
Schumacher 2004 nearly double the points of the closest team

all on old points system which is huge

Kyle T
Premium Member

18th Sep 15 at 11:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In your opinion, would you rate these two differently based on team diversity at the top?

Hamilton 2008 pushed by Massa?
vs
Hamilton 2014 pushed by Rosberg?

In many ways I think having a WDC battle across multiple teams is by far the best for the sport, but I think a WDC battle with team mates carries more pressure on the contenders.

Using the 2014 Merc campaign for example, the slower of the Merc drivers was almost certain to finish in P2 because the car was so good. This means that the faster driver can only ever pull out chunks of 7 points in the WDC battle. As a result, the battle was almost certain to come to the final race of the season.

On some of the RBR WDC campaigns, there were multiple WDC contenders from different teams, this could "allow" Seb to have a chunk of bad luck or even poor performance as the points were being shared out across more people.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
whitter45

18th Sep 15 at 13:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fair comment - but for me multiple teams puts a championship win in better light - more variables with different teams
Kyle T
Premium Member

18th Sep 15 at 14:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I think I'm inclined to agree, and I would much prefer if 2015 was a legitimate "Hamilton vs Vettel" or whatever - it just builds the drama.

I don't think Lewis' 2014 campaign is diminished though

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
whitter45

18th Sep 15 at 14:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
Yeah I think I'm inclined to agree, and I would much prefer if 2015 was a legitimate "Hamilton vs Vettel" or whatever - it just builds the drama.

I don't think Lewis' 2014 campaign is diminished though

agree - I am not taking away the fact Hamilton won the championship as was the best driver to do so, it just would have been more definitive if the competition would have had better cars - that's not his fault and some of the races he drove spot on which again is another way of measuring how good a driver he is

Look at alonso - this year looks so average - yet for me has been one of the best drivers in the last 8 years - his car simply does not allow him to show his talent

Vettel now is similar to where alonso was with Ferrari - very good car, not the best, but his ability makes his performance stand out and not just the car
Dave

18th Sep 15 at 17:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/34297046

More VW/Audi and Red Bull rumours.

<<  36    37    38    39    40    41    42  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » The Official F1 Season 2015 Thread 24 database queries in 0.0478001 seconds