corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Mileage - does it bother you? Also a BMW 1 Series thread.

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Mileage - does it bother you? Also a BMW 1 Series thread.
mattk

User status: Offline
29th Dec 11 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

look past the end of your nose. if you are trying to save money a BMW is not the answer
daymoon
Premium Member

29th Dec 11 at 13:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What about a VW Bora or Golf? If speed doesn't matter then a 90PS Golf/Bora will be brilliant on juice. I never seen less than 50 MPG in mine, cheap tax and insurance, while being very comfortable.
daymoon
Premium Member

29th Dec 11 at 13:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Graham88

29th Dec 11 at 13:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wtf? Suggest me another car that ticks all the boxes then. I'm not going to drive around in a 1k shitbox just to save money I still want a nice car. This isn't some 'save as much money as possible' exercise it's just to get rid of a car that's pointless her owning and replace with something that's more suitable as an all rounder for both of us, think everyone has got held up on the words 'save money' too much.

BMW's are renowned for reliability. Deano bought a Punto for 3k or something, it shit itself and cost him more than what a 1 series would have cost that might be fine? It's a risk you take with cars you should know this, like Fro said.

I was merely asking for peoples opinions on high mileage & 1 series, everyone else has started suggesting other cars, I haven't asked for that.
Graham88

29th Dec 11 at 13:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by daymoon
What about a VW Bora or Golf? If speed doesn't matter then a 90PS Golf/Bora will be brilliant on juice. I never seen less than 50 MPG in mine, cheap tax and insurance, while being very comfortable.

Like I said she likes Golfs and that's a consideration yeah, so I will have a look at those too. Anything to particularly look for? Service schedules and stuff? Common problems?

I would go for a 130pd I think though, get a little remap and still have some poke

[Edited on 29-12-2011 by Graham88]
Graham88

29th Dec 11 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This link should work?

http://www2.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201150436141070/
mattk

29th Dec 11 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Deanos punto was a petrol

My diesel is on 85k now, its very comfortable, has climate control leather seats panoramic roof, its quicker than the BMW and I bet its better on fuel. costs less to insure, its £150 for a service with a stamp from a Fiat dealer. and its worth about 3 grand.

Doesnt say BMW on it though and the services arnt called INSPECTIONS

Not saying you should get one, just there are loads of cheaper cars that are as good.

I personaly would get a Panda 100hp or a Suzuki Swift
deano87

29th Dec 11 at 13:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Fro
Found my mini to be very good on juice tbh high 30's when I wanted it too.
If the BM has high miles but full service history and low owners it should be fine but there could also be the chance it shits itself shorty down the line, but you could get that with any car.

My 4 year old Punto with 40k on the clock shit itself.

Fiat shite.

EDIT: LOL didn't see the above replies, just quoted Fro's bought my Punto for £5500 and it shit itself but I reckon it had dodgey servicing and the Mazda garage I bought it from were cowboys putting the wrong oil in it etc etc. Live and learn.

If I had £5k to spend and was trying to save money. I'd be trying to find the best shit car I could find, not a shit best car.

[Edited on 29-12-2011 by deano87]
daymoon
Premium Member

29th Dec 11 at 13:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

With Golfs it's just turbo's to check really. Everything else is just bushes etc. as in any car.

With regards to BMW, I had a 323i last year. I got it on 117k, Had to replace one bush on front suspension and lambda sensor. Sold it on 121k, and it was for sale with 128k miles just few months later. Spoke to the new owner and he hasn't had a single problem.

Currently drive a 530D, got it on 105k. Now it's just over 109k. No problems so far, but it has full service history.
Sunz

29th Dec 11 at 14:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We have to put in to perspective this isn't a "cheap money saving car please" its a "cheaper then a supercharged mini and M3 car"
johnhara1

29th Dec 11 at 18:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a golf tdi 90 with 185k miles on it, it runs and drives superb and the engine pulls like a train.

Any car can have issues, if it's well maintained, i wouldn't give high mileage a 2nd though.
big eck

29th Dec 11 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

High mileage doesn't bother me at all as long as the price reflects it and it's been looked after. My old 106gti had just under 100k miles on it when I sold it and I can honestly say it never missed a beat and was 100% more reliable than my 4yr old Astra vxr with only 32k miles.
Ian
Site Administrator

29th Dec 11 at 18:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you're buying a 1 series, whether it works or not is the least of your worries, you need to look at the thing

As said, 100k on one of those should be OK, certainly no worse than an Astra on 50k.

Also a haggling point when you buy. The only problems for me would be availability of parts and the fact that people selling stuff for them think they're special.

Chances of it braking are lower but if it does you might have a big bill. But any car might break. I say go for it.
daymoon
Premium Member

29th Dec 11 at 19:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Prices for parts can be a joke sometimes.

Bought Bought a fair few brake discs and pads over last few years for different cars.

Mondeo which is fairly common - £88 (never actually bought them)
BMW 323i - £59.95
Pug 206 1.4 - ~55
Rover 25 - £40

All from same shop. Was shocked at price of Ford parts bearing in mind how common they are.
Graham88

29th Dec 11 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The last few replies have been alot better to what I was asking, thanks guys maybe I should have made what I was asking clearer.

Deano you saying about a shit best car etc I kinda see what you're saying but that was my question about whether high mileage was acceptable the only thing about the car is the mileage, does that make it shit?

Daymoon you love a high mileage car

Sunz that sums it up pretty well tbh

Oh yeah I know I have to go look at it Ian just wondered if it was worth my time as 100k on a 1 series might be bad news for all I knew But it seems it's not that bad aslong as you have a good look around to check it's been looked after accordingly, like Eck said.
taylorboosh

29th Dec 11 at 21:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

daymoon also likes old suzuki swifts though
cavmad

29th Dec 11 at 21:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by alan-g-w
quote:
Originally posted by scottyp1989
Never had a problem with high milage cars, every car iv had has had over 100k on it. At the end of they day cars are made to be driven, a 30k mile car will still have its problems just like a 100/200k car can

But a 30k car won't have nearly as many/ serious problems as a 200k car of the same make and model, it's just common sense tbh

Not neccessarily so. A low mileage car may have just trundled round town and (virtually) never been off choke or got warmed up properly. Known plenty of people in the past who've bought low mileage cars, started using them properly and had no end of grief.
You get a car that's done say 150,000 miles plus and 1) it'll have had proper use and 2) most major components (clutch, headgasket etc) will have been replaced most likely.
Also the high mileage cars wouldn't have made it that far if they hadn't been maintained to a decent degree.
daymoon
Premium Member

29th Dec 11 at 21:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by john-d
daymoon also likes old suzuki swifts though

So what? You like old imps? each to their own.

I am sick of people saying all cars are shit apart from what they own or had.

Graham, I do buy cars with higher mileage, usually cos I get more for my money.

I had something like 8 cars now in 4 years and the only car that needed a lot of work every week was car with lowest mileage - 60k.
taylorboosh

29th Dec 11 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mate i was jesting
3i_gaz

29th Dec 11 at 22:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just make sure its been looked after mate a car with 100k on can go 2 ways....

had fuck all replaced in its life and be a money pit for you...

Or been looked afteer had many new parts fitted and redy for a new lease of life over 100k

i wouldent let the mileage put you off you see BMW diesels with silly amounts of miles on and still sweet as a nut.

Not have a PD VW diesel?
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

29th Dec 11 at 22:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

spin off from what gaz said

my dad had an a4 tdi years ago covered 130k and had nothing repaced on it except for brakes tyres and service parts

i seriously doubt that would have turned into a money pit because nothing had been changed

bmw is one of the makes i'd trust with high miles
3i_gaz

29th Dec 11 at 23:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My ibiza had upwards of 130k on it and it was used daily, track day'd etc.... i changed brakes and bushes ready for track etc... but tbh alls it wanted was servicing. 170k veccy B sri never had an ounce of bother with that either ran that for 30k wanted tyres brakes and top mounts.

Just consumables. Wouldent worry over mileage
Graham88

30th Dec 11 at 00:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3i_gaz
Just make sure its been looked after mate a car with 100k on can go 2 ways....

had fuck all replaced in its life and be a money pit for you...

Or been looked afteer had many new parts fitted and redy for a new lease of life over 100k

i wouldent let the mileage put you off you see BMW diesels with silly amounts of miles on and still sweet as a nut.

Not have a PD VW diesel?

Thanks mate. Yeah as I said earlier I'd consider a PD130 Golf as I know they are also pretty bulletproof.

Probably gonna take a look at the 1 series I posted and see what it's like. It's the only car that I've seen which I've thought to myself that it looks really nice which is normally the way I buy my cars
3i_gaz

30th Dec 11 at 01:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My PD was sold with 150k on it and you could literally drive it and think it was a 60k car, was a 1 owner fleet car previous to me getting it.

Would have another PD tomorrow, some haters on here but get over to seat cupra or uk mk4's and they will give you the inn's and outs.

Beemer will be a nice buy if its straight though!
Graham88

30th Dec 11 at 01:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for your advice mate, all points taken onboard!

Yeah I know someone who knows their way around BMW's so they'll be coming with me too, get it HPI'd etc

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Mileage - does it bother you? Also a BMW 1 Series thread. 22 database queries in 0.2034612 seconds