corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » R1 fuelled XE GSi project - Pending Swap

New Poll
  <<  11    12    13    14    15    16    17  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author R1 fuelled XE GSi project - Pending Swap
chrex

User status: Offline
24th Mar 09 at 09:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ahhh okay...
sargrave

24th Mar 09 at 09:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

got any pics of the mk2 cav
chrex

24th Mar 09 at 10:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sargrave
got any pics of the mk2 cav

the donor car?? no, i only ever had an engine. Apparently it was completely rusted through, but thats why we do these things...the car was not completely wasted!
chrex

8th Apr 09 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, long time since an update, so thought i would pop some things in.

Last week i bought some more cleaning products. Zymol auto wash, Zymol cleaner wax and a Meguiars clay bar kit. Made such a difference. Didn't manage to get any pictures im afraid as the end of the day didnt go as planned, but i assure you...it looked amazing! Just got to get the two dents pulled out now to tidy it up a bit.

Then on tuesday i got the carbs set-up again. Again, big disappointment...peaked at 95bhp. However, i do think i have found the problem, so i will update on that over the next week or so. More money that i shouldnt have had to spend tbh! Ah well!

Thats all for now. Will try and get some pics next week as im off and i will wash it again to try and get more dirt out from the clay, but shouldnt have to tbh as it is smooth as it can be. So may just be a wash and polish.

corsaboi1992

9th Apr 09 at 08:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i swear this cars on the corsa-b site lol
Adam-D

9th Apr 09 at 09:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its highly possible

corsaboi1992

9th Apr 09 at 10:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yep i say it is lol
chrex

12th Apr 09 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok, well following a bit of debate, i am going to get myself a cam kit, as the cam that is in there at the moment...is (quite frankly) shit.

I have been recommended a Newman Camshaft and follower kit. This should suffice as i do believe that it has kent springs and Anti-pump lifters in it, however...this has yet to be proven (when the head gets stripped down and swapped over). So, after £150 worth of head work and a £220 cam kit, i should see the power gains that i am after.

Also, could have a different exhaust system on the way (dependant on Adam's opinion of the ashley). I had a scorpion imola on my last corsa and sold it (regretted since) and as adam has one on his recently purchased corsa, i have offered him a swap for my competition spec Ashley system. We will see...but i am hoping i can get the imola...as i fancy some shiny on the back. Plus, i always loved how the imola's backbox sat.

Anyways, will keep the updates rolling on the cam...but i need to get my Pro Races sold first, so if you are after a bloody good set of wheels for £300, let me know!
--ToM--

12th Apr 09 at 21:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

told u sell the cesaros to me and spray 1.2s white and put em on yours
chrex

13th Apr 09 at 08:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No, because whatever money i get from whatever wheels will go into the engine, and so i cant afford to get the PR 1.2's powdered and so i wont be happy with them. So, no!

Well on saturday morning, Adam decided that he did want the ashley for his track car and so we proceeded to get that off mine and fit the scorpion that he had on his white c16 corsa. Was a bugger as the pipe flange was battered and the custom decat pipe had be be played with some more with a grinder to make it fit. However we got there in the end and it is all on fine now. Looks great, exactly what i liked about my old one, and exactly what i wanted. Plus it is a little quieter apparently, so again, what i wanted. It is also a 2.5" bore :shock: so should be perfect for the engine once its been sorted out!

Getting loads of pictures today, so you will see what i mean later!
chrex

16th Apr 09 at 22:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, i have decided on the cam kit that i will be getting. It is a cam, made from a blank, that is designed specifically for carbs. Should do the job nicely and give the power gains that im after as it works with the springs and valves that are already in there, plus the newly ported and polished head that will be going on when it all gets swapped over and fitted.

As i had a spare head, i decided that it would be a good idea to get this head ported and polished to stage 2, with the valve seats being worked and the stems smoothed too. This solves the problem of the snapped manifold stud in the front, which means there wont be any loss associated with that...and the rest of the engine, all being new stuff...should take a beating and work nicely with the cam setup.

I have a table below which shows the details of the cam. Should do the job nicely. This is the one i have been recommended too, apparently they are very easy to squeeze a good amount of power from, but without a limit to the mid-range. So am excited about the prospect.

i am toying with the idea of going for the tarmac rally cam though, just to try and drag that little bit more out of it. I will be looking to maybe get the head port-matched to the manifolds too...just trying to think of ways to drag more power out of it as much as possible without damaging the torque too much low down. Will be speaking to the garage who set it up before i order it though. As they can get hold of the cams direct...they have alot of experience with them, and i hope will know what is the best for it.
--ToM--

17th Apr 09 at 19:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lets hope the cam is the source of the problem youve spent so much on it now it would be a shame not to see so decent power out of it, still should of jumped on band wagon and put a redtop in it though
chrex

17th Apr 09 at 22:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea i hope so too.

i wont put an 'XE' in....(hate the 'R' word)...i may think of doing something different and buying a SR20 from jimmy tho.

i am hoping that the cam can free the fuelling up a little bit, and then maybe that will trigger everything to work much better then. I would be happy wit 120/130bhp ATW.
--ToM--

18th Apr 09 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sr20 in a corsa would be fuckin nortyy
chrex

18th Apr 09 at 21:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

... well im thinking of getting it done. Would be proper custom...and would have to get the front mount sorted somehow...but i reckon i could make it work!

Maybe after a couple of years with this i will have a go at doing it. I do want to do it tho, so i will certainly have a go. Even if i buy a crapper to practice, bodge the mounts etc, and then get a decent shell to actually put it into.
chrex

27th Apr 09 at 22:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Monday 27th April

Well this is the first update for a while. Havent done much at all to it for a while, but there is lots on the horizon. With the looming collection of the pro races at the weekend, i am preparing myself for the excitement of the cam kit ordering. However, there has been an unexpected turn.

i have recently decided that for the summer months, i would like a set of 16" wheels. Speedlines look great on the corsas because they are 16's, and they make a huge difference when looking at the car from an angle. So, i decided that i needed some 16's. A set of 16" Pro Races would mean a good £400 second hand, and at least £600 new. i also dont like speedlines, every bugger has them. So...having been searching for a good month...i have found, and won what i was after.

A set of Vectra B SRi wheels. 16", 4x100 (rare as they are mostly 5 stud!) and ET44. They look great on corsas, and being rare in 4 stud, they are rare on the cars. Intention is to get rid of the tyres, re-spray them white as i did with the cesaros and then get some new tyres eventually to wrap them in. Hoping to have them on the car by september. Will look ace, and am going to have to photoshop a blue speedline on them to see if it will work or not on the car.

heres some pics anyways:

And wha they look like on a car (Sean lawton's car sporting them here):

Cant wait to get them on, i think they will transform the look...but they are going to be the summer wheels, wit the cesaros getting the winter harshness.

Opinions welcome.

[Edited on 27-04-2009 by chrex]
--ToM--

29th Apr 09 at 11:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cesaros please
chrex

29th Apr 09 at 22:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nope...am keeping them matey, sorry!
chrex

3rd May 09 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, i got my new camera for my birthday, and so i thought it was about time to use it. So i spent the day washing the car. Weather was cloudy and real windy, but dry...so was okay.

Was a bit of a mess before as i havent had the chance to wash it in about a month, so there was quite a layer of dirt that the old wax had hold of. I also had a new sheepskin mitt that was bought for my birthday, so used that with Zymol auto-wash.

Some pics of the dirt before:

So, i washed it over twice, first with sponge to get rid of heavy dirt, and then with the mitt. Came out well just after a wash...i love this colour when it's clean! Then i moved it out from under the trees as i didnt want leaves falling on the wax.

Next i gave it a clay and a go over with the speed detailer.

This was followed by a layer of Zymol Cleaner wax and then, Turtlewax paste (probably the last time its gonna get used as am getting poorboys and dodo juice).

Then the wheels got their silica coat and i put some tyre gel on the paradas. Also cleaned the windows wit auto-glym glass polish, and then it was done.

Location Shots

[Edited on 03-05-2009 by chrex]
--ToM--

3rd May 09 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i like the gsi8v badge idea, need to clean up the glue from the old 16v badge tho
chrex

3rd May 09 at 18:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

na its not glue...its actually the paintwork bubbling, but i will get that sorted when the boot gets done.
chrex

5th May 09 at 20:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have today ordered my new Cam and Followers.

Newman Cams 'Fast Road/Rally'.

Should do the job nicely. I am also giving them the spare head to port and polish, then swap everything off the current head onto the new one.

Should be interesting. I need to get a new headgasket and timing belt, then it should be sweet as a nut, and run much better.

Expecting to go and collect the kit on Thursday morning.
--ToM--

6th May 09 at 09:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wiil it be ready for PVS?
--ToM--

6th May 09 at 09:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i hear you had a little play with colins "sport" lol on the a41
chrex

7th May 09 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by --ToM--
i hear you had a little play with colins "sport" lol on the a41

really? when? What colour was it? I have no idea, not intentionally i dont think.

Well the kit has arrived at the place iv ordered it from, but i cant get there to pick it up until monday...so thats a bit crap. Not that there is any rush as i cant afford to put it in yet anyways, as i need about £150 worth of head work doing to my spare head. So i have a feeling its gonna be after PVS. Just get it tidied up for now and see what i can get sorted.

Its sat waiting for me anyways!

<<  11    12    13    14    15    16    17  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » R1 fuelled XE GSi project - Pending Swap 23 database queries in 0.0225592 seconds