corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » p90x - UPDATED - Getting ready to start round 2 - ish. p97

New Poll
  <<  10    11    12    13    14    15    16  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author p90x - UPDATED - Getting ready to start round 2 - ish. p97
Cosmo

User status: Offline
8th Oct 09 at 09:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
So Dizzy, is it a bad thing then if I'm still burning more calories than i'm taking in?

Is it actually possible for the body to build muscle AND lose fat at the same time?

or will the muscle gain be limited significantly because of the lack of intake?

Its not just a case of building whilst losing the weight, its having the energy to fully commit to the workouts how they are.

Why not just stick to the plan as they have made it for the 90 days before messing around with it?
DizzyRebel

8th Oct 09 at 09:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
quote:
So Dizzy, is it a bad thing then if I'm still burning more calories than i'm taking in?

Is it actually possible for the body to build muscle AND lose fat at the same time?

or will the muscle gain be limited significantly because of the lack of intake?

Its not just a case of building whilst losing the weight, its having the energy to fully commit to the workouts how they are.

Why not just stick to the plan as they have made it for the 90 days before messing around with it?

Im with cosmo on this, stick to the plan - it was designed that way for a reason. You may think you are going to see better gains by dropping your calorie intake lower than that suggested by the programme but you are more than likely going to stunt your progress. Know that all calories were not created equal, for example: every 100 calories of protein you ingest, 20 of those will be used simply digesting it. The rest will 99% be used as building blocks for muscle, hair and nail cells.

Again calories from dietary fats such as peanut butter, fish oil, cheeses, other nuts etc will usually be used as energy, or as a base for hormone production. The only ones that really affect fat storage are calories from carbs, as if they are not used up for energy or to fuel muscle repair they will be stored as fat. So use your carbs wisely. Like the programme suggests, eat your carbs in the morning and post training, although i dont agree for not taking carbs before or during a workout as these are the times you most need them, without them you are going to massively inhibit muscle growth.

If you stick to the plan you wont go far wrong.
BarnshaW

8th Oct 09 at 10:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so whats the best process for cutting? i have managed to bulk up and put some good muscle on, how would i go about losing body fat and becoming more defined (abs showing etc) without losing the muscle?
DizzyRebel

8th Oct 09 at 10:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If your doing p90x just follow the programme.

Otherwise, you need to be in a calorie deficit with ample protein to protect the body from using stored muscle protein for fuel. So cutting down to 50g carbs a day on none training days with 300g protein and 70g fat and 150g carbs on training days with 250g protein and 50g fat would be a good cutting diet.
Cosmo

8th Oct 09 at 10:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I presume you're talking about non-sat fats there?
BarnshaW

8th Oct 09 at 10:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nice one, so really, how long should you give for a cutting diet to give effect? for example if you wanted to cut for summer when should you start?
Paul_J

8th Oct 09 at 11:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

I thought I was sticking to it, before I was told I was not eating enough

- Post your diet / meal plan up!
Cosmo

8th Oct 09 at 11:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im still typing it up, will have done by tonight
DizzyRebel

8th Oct 09 at 11:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I presume you're talking about non-sat fats there?

Depends on the source, but you need an even mix of saturated, poly unsaturated and mono unsaturated fats to be healthy. Saturated fats are important to your diet but from the right sources and in the right amounts only.

Saturated Fats:
Animal fat (found in meats)
Eggs
Cheese
Coconut oil

Monounsaturated fat:
Extra virgin olive oil
Nuts and peanut butter
Avocados

Polyunsaturated fats
Flax seeds/oil
Fish oil
Nuts and Peanut butter
Vegetable oils.

you need a 33/33/33 mix of them to get your required dietary fat intake.
DizzyRebel

8th Oct 09 at 11:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW
nice one, so really, how long should you give for a cutting diet to give effect? for example if you wanted to cut for summer when should you start?

allow 2-3 months depending on how strict you are going to be. My cutting phase next year will be 6 weeks but ill be using a test blend by pro chem called 'one rip' and T3's as well.
BarnshaW

8th Oct 09 at 12:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so would you train as normal with free weights to cut? Or would you concentrate more on cardio?
DizzyRebel

8th Oct 09 at 12:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Still weights, cardio will never give the same fat burning and conditioning weight training does.

Id either train with a push/pull 4x a week split or 3 full body workouts a week but instead of focussing on hypertrophy with 6 rep sets id use the 10-12 rep range and cut rest down from 90 seconds to 30-45 seconds.
BarnshaW

8th Oct 09 at 12:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so maybe train 4 times a week, reduce weights a bit from when you were bulking and make the train more intense with less rest between sets?
DizzyRebel

8th Oct 09 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes, and on rest days id perform 45-60 minutes of steady state cardio as well as 10 mins hiit training 3 times a week. Remember to keep protein levels sky high during cutting phases to protect your precious muscle.
Cosmo

8th Oct 09 at 12:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What happens if you over eat on Protein...in fact can you?
BarnshaW

8th Oct 09 at 13:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im sure your body only takes what it needs, if you over do it then it will just come out the other end wont it?
DizzyRebel

8th Oct 09 at 13:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The prcess of turning protein into fat is very difficult, but your body does not like to waste anything so it can happen although unless you eat something like 600g + of it daily its unlikely to happen. It will just be shat out, esp if you eat plenty of fibre.
Paul_J

8th Oct 09 at 13:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what was the rule of thumb on how much protein must be consumed to gain muscle, depending on body weight?
DizzyRebel

8th Oct 09 at 13:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
what was the rule of thumb on how much protein must be consumed to gain muscle, depending on body weight?

1.5g per lb of bodyweight.
Cosmo

quote:
Originally posted by DizzyRebel
The prcess of turning protein into fat is very difficult, but your body does not like to waste anything so it can happen although unless you eat something like 600g + of it daily its unlikely to happen. It will just be shat out, esp if you eat plenty of fibre.

Cool, I know excess carbs very easily get turned in to fat but didnt know that about protein
BarnshaW

isnt it 1.5g of protein for every kg you weigh?
Pop

8th Oct 09 at 13:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What kind of diet would people recommend for someone who is slim to start with and is looking to build muscle?

I'm going to do the p90x programme as it will fit well in my lifestyle at the moment, I don't have enough time to be going out to the gym as there isn't one very near me.

I was thinking of jumping straight to phase 2 of the nutrition plan.
Cosmo

8th Oct 09 at 13:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

FFS, will people just do the diet/workout plan as it states

Its been designed specifically to get the results you'll want, dont start going off from it to start with when this is a proven plan.
Pop

8th Oct 09 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I haven't got much fat to lose. I'm 6'3" and weigh just under 10 stone.

Phase 1 food intake will leave me looking like a refugee.
DizzyRebel

8th Oct 09 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW
isnt it 1.5g of protein for every kg you weigh?

Nope, every lb to build, every kg to maintain.

Pop - P90x has everything you need to cut body fat and add mass. If i was you id follow the programme fully and uniformly and at the end of it see what the results are. If you didnt bulk up as much as you liked, perhaps try conventional bodybuilding diets and drills afterwards. P90x is as good a starting point as any to enter into the world of body conditioning.

<<  10    11    12    13    14    15    16  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » p90x - UPDATED - Getting ready to start round 2 - ish. p97 23 database queries in 0.0233738 seconds