corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » R1 fuelled XE GSi project - Pending Swap

New Poll
  <<  10    11    12    13    14    15    16  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author R1 fuelled XE GSi project - Pending Swap
andys sxi
Premium Member

User status: Offline
16th Feb 09 at 16:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do u work at a garage in bromborough i think it is ? there is a petrol station right next to it im sure ive seen this parked up when ive been going to college

April 08 feature car
chrex

16th Feb 09 at 17:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Halfords in Bromborough pal. There is another carabic GSi around that is on silver speedlines.
andys sxi
Premium Member

16th Feb 09 at 18:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chrex
Halfords in Bromborough pal. There is another carabic GSi around that is on silver speedlines.

no dont think it has speedlines think its got black multi spokes ill have to see when im back at college what the name of the garage is it could be quick fit and the petrol station is BP i think lol

April 08 feature car
chrex

16th Feb 09 at 18:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well yea i have got the Black Pro Races, but i've never been anywhere near that Kwik Fit.

Dont know of another one

[Edited on 16-02-2009 by chrex]
--ToM--

16th Feb 09 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

your thinking of my mates car edgie his name is its carrabic blue on anthracite cav slabs he works in the garage by BP
marklawton

17th Feb 09 at 08:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah,it will be edgie. as said he works at the big kwik fit
andys sxi
Premium Member

17th Feb 09 at 16:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by --ToM--
your thinking of my mates car edgie his name is its carrabic blue on anthracite cav slabs he works in the garage by BP

o rite i must b getting mixed up thinking its got multi spoke alloys i only see it when i drive past on the way to college

April 08 feature car
--ToM--

21st Feb 09 at 18:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

easy mistake both wheels are dark lol
chrex

24th Feb 09 at 23:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, having decided not to sell it anymore...but to finish it, i thought it would be a good idea to give the GSi a wash. The cesaros made a return too after i fitted them on saturday. IMO they look way better and am gonna have to get the Pro Race 1.2's powdered i think.

Am so glad with how it has come out, being its first proper clean. Wash, 2 polishes and a wax, with silica on the wheels. Found a good location too. Unfortunately i only had my phone camera so they aint brilliant...but it still looks good!

And the final photo was ruined because the phone didnt take quick enough so ended up with a bloody shopping trolley in the picture! Not amused because its a good photo too!

evans_corsab

25th Feb 09 at 16:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thorton hough im liking the cesaros on it looks cool
chrex

25th Feb 09 at 22:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, having decided to get the few problems fixed so i can finally enjoy the car...i am going to have to order a few bits when i get paid on Friday.

Autovaux have quoted me £70 on a sump and baffle plate for it, which shouldn't be too hard to swap over tbh...just time consuming.

I then need to replace both of the lower arms, as the bush has gone in the right hand one...so am just gonna do them both and thats done then. Wont be putting poly's in there though, want that little bit of give in there to maintain some stability on the crap roads. New bolts will be going in there too...and they will be getting painted and waxoyled.

I have a new rear engine mount to go on, again, with new bolts and the chassis treated under and around it with waxoyl.

Lastly, the exhaust needs taking off and re-sealing as it is blowing from a few places. I didnt put it on last time...and the garage didnt bother doing it proper. So that all needs sorting before the rolling road day.

Luckily i have a week off from the 14th March, so i have plenty of time to make good the work.

Also, with the sump change, an oil change will also come from that...and i also intend to drain and renew the coolant as i expect that has picked up a load of crap. May get a new rad too...have to see how it goes.

[Edited on 25-02-2009 by chrex]
chrex

5th Mar 09 at 23:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, on monday whilst i was off, i had a go at sorting one of the jobs.

The weather was great so that inspired me on. I was planning to swap the frint lower arms with new ones, and in doing so, replace the bushes and make sure its all good.

However, foillowing the unbolting of the ball joint and removal of the arm from the car...i discovered it was most definitely wrong.

The ones i had ordered were for late spec corsas, and the holes for the ball joints were in a different place. Lesson learned...late and early spec did differ in more ways than i expected.

So, i just copper greased the bits back up, and made sure everything was torqued up as it should be.

I would have photos but it doesnt want to upload at the moment!

I also have my new sump and baffle plate, which will be going on Saturday morning.

until then...
chrex

7th Mar 09 at 23:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Saturday 7th March

Well, am a happy man today, as i have finally managed to solve the leaky sump problem. Spent a few hours this morning putting a new pan and baffle plate on. Not a hard job, just time consuming and awkward.

First thing that needed to come off, was the exhaust manifold. Found that the missing stud is causing a very slight blow, but nothing major. Another thing i will have to get sorted properly eventually...but anyways.

This was the problem:

There was damage to the bottom of the pan from when the engine was sat in the garage before being put in the car, so it was dripping from there. I had tried repairing it but to no avail so a new one was all that i could do.

So, off it all came...after about 30 mins of work.

Following inspection, and a chat with the engine's previous owner...i have discovered that the crank is in fact a steel item! Bonus as that was gonna be a future mod, but seems i dont need to do it. Engine is ready for whatever really.

So, following a quick clean up of surfaces...and a visit to the job by mark Lawton i was able to put it all back together.

Looks all shiny new now, and there is no leaks. Got the dipstick tube sealed too...so i shouldnt have any major leakages for a while (although i do know that is is a Vauxhall 2 litre and there is no way to make one stop leaking).

And whilst i was there, i changed my spark plugs and HT Leads. Plugs are Gold-Palladium NGK's, and the leads are decent bosch items.

Following me finishing, i took some wheels up to a friend in Denbiegh, so giving it a 100 mile round trip to bed in.

Roll on the RR day!
marklawton

17th Mar 09 at 23:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looking good mate. got some pics from when i poped round

Adam-D

17th Mar 09 at 23:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that is not a small blow. in fact i reckon thatll cost you some power.....

next job methinks...
chrex

18th Mar 09 at 13:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ooh, thanks mark! Hard at work pics!

yea i know ad, it will be...but i need to get the head off and have it done.

I need to buy a crap car to run around in for 2 weeks or so so i can get the head off and take it to AB, where i will get them to take that out and also port match and skim the head. Then need to find a metal head gasket to put bk on. I may just take the car to them and see if they can do the lot.

Need to put some money together so i can get it all sorted. will get a price when it goes to get set-up on the 7th April.

[Edited on 18-03-2009 by chrex]
sargrave

20th Mar 09 at 19:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks gd m8.u got any pics of the 130
chrex

21st Mar 09 at 15:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rolling Road Update

I was once again demeaned with an 82bhp figure. The fuelling is all to shit. Apparently its underfuelling quite a bit over 3.5 - 4k.

I got a set-up booked at AB Garages for the 7th April, but until then, i will have to keep it under 4k. I have spoken to them on the phone this afternoon, and they said that although that isnt dangerous, it is lean...and that the rolling road at Dyno Demon doesnt give true load. Its not a tuning dyno or something. They said they have rented it to tune a 600bhp car and due to the rollers not being able to do certain things...they couldnt quite do it properly. But it is a base.

It can be sorted, and eventually, the carbs can put out big power, but its getting that balance right on what is a hugely hybrid engine. If i can't get them to perform...i may have to invest in a set of Throttle bodies and go that way, but that means £2k.

Just have to see what can be done at the next set-up. Will be worth it in the end.

Here's some pics:

On the rollers

And...sods law, the throttle cable retaining screw then decided to come off...joy! so, 10 mins fixing that.

And back on track after that was sorted...

Then the readouts

Great morning though, good job paul came along, else we were struggling for numbers!

[Edited on 21-03-2009 by chrex]
gazza808

21st Mar 09 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

crank looks like the one i had in my stand old seh. Bummer on the figure's
chrex

21st Mar 09 at 22:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well it is lightened, and supposedly steel. I have got a spare crank and the profile on the counterbalances is different. They are slightly thinner and have been drilled/countersunk on the one in the car.

The engine can do it...as proven by the torque, but the fuelling is killing the power.
evans_corsab

23rd Mar 09 at 22:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just seen you go past me in heswall you sorted the fueling now ?
andyc1234

23rd Mar 09 at 23:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hope you get it sorted should be able to get a good chunk of power out of it. just seems wierd they can tune a 600bhp car but not a simple engine on carbs. i plan on doing this with my 1.6 8v engine and just planned setting the fueling up with a wideband on the road.
chrex

24th Mar 09 at 09:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Na, the car isnt getting set-up until April 7th, but i can still drive it.

AB can set the car up...its just that the engine has loosened off and so now when i take it back, they can set it up properly and set it to perform.

When i took it last time, they only set it up to 5.5/6k, a 'basemap' so to speak, to allow the engine to bed in over the 2k before the next set-up. So now when i take it, they will set it up for hitting at least 7k and properly sort all the timing and fueling to suit.
chrex

24th Mar 09 at 09:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by evans_corsab
just seen you go past me in heswall you sorted the fueling now ?

have you? i still dont know what your car looks like. Was i heading towards Gayton or away (i.e. was i on my way from bromborough or not?)
--ToM--

24th Mar 09 at 09:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

he doesnt drive so you wont of seen his car lol

<<  10    11    12    13    14    15    16  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » R1 fuelled XE GSi project - Pending Swap 24 database queries in 0.0249519 seconds