corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Take 2

New Poll
  <<  9    10    11    12    13    14    15  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Take 2
jibjob

User status: Offline
23rd May 10 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right. A major update. I retested the head and noticed a small leak from a couple of the valves that i didnt notice before. I cleaned all the chambers and valves and cleaned all the coke off them and retested it again and when i put fuel in the ports it pissed out of 4 valves and slowly out of a few more. Guess the coke was forming a seal but then under pressure wasnt enough to hold it tight so thats why we had no compression but it didnt leak. Anyway ive got new valves on the way courtesy of Andyc1234 so they are getting fitted tomorrow. Which means it should be up and running tomorrow Found out i used the wrong throttle body aswel as the cable wouldnt work so ive had to change that so ive got to repaint that along with the inlet as ive scratched it But oh well atleast it should be back on the road tomorrow

A few parts arrived aswel this week. My new silicon hoses, head gasket and head bolts, tb gasket, new coolant bottle and exhaust manifold Should fit my superchip tomorrow aswel

The only problem i still have is one of the silicon hoses (the one that goes from the back of the block to the rocker cover) Doesnt look the right shape and doesnt want to fit onto the rear of the block so im going to try warming it up to get it on the back of the block and then just hope it will fit on the rocker cover. If not its getting sent back and i'll be getting another one.

I'll be putting pics up in a min aswel Just putting them on my computer now
jibjob

23rd May 10 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right pic whorin time

Nice shiny rocker cover

Engine on its way out

Dirty engine bay

Worrying find about alloy lower strut braces

Garage full of parts

Shiny shiny

More shiny

Old vs New

Full set up

Engine going back in

Manifold

All plugged in right before disaster strikes

And how it now sits

Theres still a lot to do light painting my slam panel and touching up bits and bobs but hopefully it shouldnt take long now
jibjob

6th Jul 10 at 13:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well....Where do i start. I got the engine back in and running. It ran lumpy at low revs though. Went to PVS and ran 17.3 which wasnt bad but it had no power low down. Got home from PVS and just been playing about with it since then. Put a new loom on it and it ran sweet as a nut...right up until it threw a shell and blasted the con rod through the front and rear of my block last night

A fist sized hole on the front on cylinder one and the same at the back. So its game over for that engine

On the plus side im picking up a c16xe block with .5 overbored pistons tonight Ive ordered basically a full new engine from Autovaux - all new sensors, bearings, gaskets, seals, bolts, washers, etc. So for the next week or so i'll be rebuilding a new engine for it I dont know if its damaged the head yet but it seems ok so far.
shaunmods
Premium Member

6th Jul 10 at 14:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ahh damn it mate gutted for you. Glad to hear your sticking at it though. I'm doing pretty much the same with mine as well. Getting a new engine and starting from scratch Keep us updated with it jon
andyc1234

6th Jul 10 at 17:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pics of the hole or it didnt happen. is it as bad as mine was
jibjob

6th Jul 10 at 17:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ye i'll try and keep it updated Shaun. Picked up all the engine parts and cleaned up the pistons and gave the block a lick of paint just got to wait for the other parts to arrive now

Ive lost the cable to upload pics from my phone but the hole on the front is about the size of 2 tennis balls one on top of the other and the hole at the back is about the same
Kurt

8th Jul 10 at 17:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sell it back to me cheap?
jibjob

8th Jul 10 at 19:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would but i refuse to be beaten

Got quite a bit done today. Old engine's out. New engines been painted and put the pistons in. Transferred most of the stuff from the old one to the new just waiting on the parts to finish it. Old slam panel is off aswell so new one can be fitted when it arrives Ordered a new CV boot aswell to replace the split one that was chucking grease all up my wheels
andyc1234

8th Jul 10 at 19:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

good stuff fella. how were the valves? or you not looked yet
jibjob

8th Jul 10 at 19:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not looked yet mate. Ive lost my power bar so cant get the head bolts out Get those pics uploaded It looks like they should be ok though. Con rod snapped clean across the middle and pistons wedged half way up so ive got my fingers crossed if not worst case its going to be 4 new valves again
boz_gsi

8th Jul 10 at 21:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

we will sort u having my engine lift for the new one going in dude
jibjob

8th Jul 10 at 21:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No problem mate. Im using an A-frame at the moment and it works but it means i cant move the engine so i really could do with yours for when i put it back in.
boz_gsi

8th Jul 10 at 21:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yer its cool, you just sprung it on me today for today lol and was to busy.. but yer thats cool with me mate

[Edited on 08-07-2010 by boz_gsi]
jibjob

8th Jul 10 at 21:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ye sorry about that I wasnt going to start it today but i got bored Just bring it down went ever youre ready mate as i probably wont have chance to get it finished until next week.
jibjob

11th Jul 10 at 17:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well ive completely stripped the old block of anything useful and cleaned it all up the best i can. Ive jet washed the gearbox (bollocks to the hose pipe ban) so its now nice and clean again New slam panel and cv boot arrived. Finally got the head off aswel and its bent 2 inlet valves in cylinder 1 and 2 exhaust in cylinder 4 Oh well atleast its not as bad as last time! New valves are on thier way again courtesy onf Andyc1234 again The rest of my parts should be here tomorrow aswel. So fingers crossed i should have it finished by next week
jibjob

8th Aug 10 at 16:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

An update of sorts

After my last update it all went back together fine and started first time and was all hunky dory for a while until i realised there was very little oil getting to the inlet cam. I thought there might be a blockage so i had the system flushed and nothing. Had the rocker cover off and blew down the holes with an air line, nothing. Took it for a long drive, nothing. Poked welding wire down the galleries to dislodge anything, nothing. So the head came off again

On the plus side its been off a week now and its been with Philip2 for a chemical clean, port, polish and valve relap and it should be back on tuesday

It should all the back together on Weds night and running perfect again hopefully Its given me a chance to repaint everything and make everything shiny and white again

On a slightly different note im umm'ing and arrr'ing as to whether to buy a new engine for next year. Ive been offered one cheap and it seems a good idea but i know its going to be a lot of work. I think by Friday i'll have decided though Boooossstttt Baby!
corse-seth

8th Aug 10 at 18:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

c20let? would make a great car even better
jibjob

8th Aug 10 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Z20let Thats why its going to be a lot of work but its just something else to make it stand out that bit more
corse-seth

8th Aug 10 at 21:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nicee, should go like stink! How much for the conversion kit, engine, gearbox and everything else u need to do the conversion??
jibjob

8th Aug 10 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Engines hopefully going to be cheap around the £550 mark but with no turbo. The turbo will probably be another £500 or more depending on what stage i go for. I'll need a fly-by-wire throttle from an Astra G or a Corsa C. The mounts will be custom made. The gearbox will just be a normal F20 with uprated shafts and normal conversion mount. I'll have to run it on after market management which will be another £1000 but hopefully less.

In total im probably looking around £2.5k in parts and if all goes well around 100 hours labour.
Kurt

9th Aug 10 at 10:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes you have my full blessing
jibjob

9th Aug 10 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Glad you like the plans Its still an idea at the moment but ive been offered parts cheap so i really am tempted
stu_c

9th Aug 10 at 16:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ooooh lot of work i see here

good luck matey
jibjob

9th Aug 10 at 16:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well ive finally managed to get the pics off my phone and onto my laptop so its time for some pretty pictures

Dont think i mentioned that between me and my mum we retrimmed the front seats They are looking nice and fresh again

I never got any pics of it going back together before PVS as i was in too much of a rush to get it running.

Well about 2-3 weeks after i rebuilt the head this happened.

Due to this

Closer inspection revealed.

Which was all caused by

Which led to

Which a week later led to a working engine. Then a week later it came apart due to oil not getting to the inlet cam.

And a week later here we are Picking the ported and polished head up tomorrow and it should be back together on weds hopefully!

Cheers Stu. It could be a massive amount of work Im debating buying a shell just so i can mock it all up and get it all working whilst still using the corsa daily as i do at the moment. It would just minimize the amount of time it was off the road.
jibjob

10th Aug 10 at 21:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Picked the head up earlier and i have to say Phil's done a great job of it! I highly recommend him for any sort of engine work!

Just got to nip down to Euro parts tomorrow and pick up a few bits and bobs and it'll all be back together

<<  9    10    11    12    13    14    15  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Take 2 23 database queries in 0.0186861 seconds