corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Monitor Recomendations

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Monitor Recomendations
ed

User status: Offline
25th Nov 14 at 17:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been given a budget of £2k for a new computer setup and need a bit of help choosing a pair of monitors as I'm not really sure what's good at the moment. I think the monitor budget will be about £500 after getting the laptop, peripherals and software I need; I think somewhere in the region of 22" would do. I just do programming and command line but still need something with decent colour and resolution

I've always though Dell made good displays in the past - anyone had any recent experience their stuff?

(The computer's going to be a MacBook Pro, not that it should make too of a much difference).

[Edited on 25-11-2014 by ed]
John

25th Nov 14 at 17:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get a decent 22" Dell monitor for about £130 quid these days, will get an amazing monitor for £500.
ed

25th Nov 14 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't have to spend the whole budget BTW! Looking to get a pair so about £150-£200 per display would probably work out nicely and leave a bit of money for a laptop bag or something.
Dom

25th Nov 14 at 21:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dell Ultrasharp or Professional (Ultra's tend to have thinner bezels; Pro's tend to have DVI instead of HDMI) would be my choice and i'd be looking at either the 24" U2414H or P2414H.
Ian
Site Administrator

25th Nov 14 at 22:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Dell stuff is a bit funny, some are excellent, some are really soft and shit.
evilrob
Premium Member

25th Nov 14 at 22:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Dell Ultrasharp or Professional (Ultra's tend to have thinner bezels; Pro's tend to have DVI instead of HDMI) would be my choice and i'd be looking at either the 24" U2414H or P2414H.

I just got a pair of U2414H's recently - they're fucking brilliant.

Got 'em on the cheap from an Amazon wonky seller:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00H3JIGHA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1EMP67XY9B256&coliid=I2XETFL3L5N2LH
ed

25th Nov 14 at 22:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was just looking at what seems like the replacement for that display:

http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&sku=906524

Looks pretty good, might see if I can sort a pair of those
evilrob
Premium Member

25th Nov 14 at 23:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If I had deeper pockets, I'd have done the same.

While I'm sure the latest model has all the bells and whistles and will suck you off or whatever, I figured 2 x old model was better than 1 x new model for the £400-odd quid I had to play with.

Not jealous.
ed

26th Nov 14 at 07:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think I might need to go for the older model display as I'm about £100 over First world problems.
pow
Premium Member

26th Nov 14 at 08:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rob will the older model do daisychain DisplayPort?
pow
Premium Member

26th Nov 14 at 08:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fuck it I should just read
Balling
Premium Member

26th Nov 14 at 09:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

At work I have a 24" Eizo and just use my laptop as a secondary monitor.
It's on some Griffin laptop stand, that raises it to the same height as the monitor.

Given the choice, I'd much rather upgrade the 24" to something larger, than the laptop.

Going to agree with all the Dell comments. I've mostly owned Dell monitors in the past and they've all been spot on.
Some of their better monitors come with calibration certificate and have the best out-of-the-box colour reproduction I've ever seen.

ed

26th Nov 14 at 09:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Rob will the older model do daisychain DisplayPort?

Is this a thing? Would be useful to only have to plug in one cable
ed

26th Nov 14 at 09:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This makes me happy (providing it works over HDMI too)

Balling
Premium Member

26th Nov 14 at 09:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't chain HDMI the same way as DisplayPort.

If the monitors allowed chaining HDMI you'd end up with the same image on both of them.

ed

26th Nov 14 at 09:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah yes - there's a hard resolution limit on HDMI which is fairly low.

Seems like you can do it on the newer Macs over Thunderbolt as the display evilrob recommended and the one I found have mini DisplayPorts on them which can be connected with or without an adapter (depending on whom you ask).
pow
Premium Member

26th Nov 14 at 10:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Has to be displayport - I quite fancy it for my surface pro, 2 of those Dell screens!

[Edited on 26-11-2014 by pow]
ed

26th Nov 14 at 10:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that would be a pretty epic way to use a Surface!
ed

26th Nov 14 at 11:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just put my request in for this lot:

* 13" MacBook Pro Retina (256GB version)
* Acme 13" Skinny Sleeve
* Apple Wireless Keyboard
* Apple Magic Mouse
* 2x Dell UltraSharp U2414H Monitors
* PHP Storm 8 License

Going to be a good start to the new year when I get it all
Dom

26th Nov 14 at 11:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only 256GB?

Slightly off topic, what's PHP Storm like for dev'ing? Does it have built-in support for git/svn?
Balling
Premium Member

26th Nov 14 at 12:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My work laptop is only 256 GB as well. Store everything on the server anyway, so it's more than enough space.

evilrob
Premium Member

26th Nov 14 at 12:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
* Apple Magic Mouse

You know there are better wireless keyboards and mice available, right?

The Apple ones are alright (I have both, and a Magic Trackpad) - I use the keyboard and trackpad in a HengeDocks Clique enclosure for casual input requirements:
http://hengedocks.com/products/clique-magic-trackpad-and-wireless-keyboard-dock

However, I prefer to use a Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic set when sat at a desk (proper numeric keypad for starters):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Ergonomic-Keyboard-Standard-Packaging/dp/B00EO4NN5C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417004799&sr=8-1&keywords=microsoft+ergonomic

[Edited on 26-11-2014 by evilrob]
evilrob
Premium Member

26th Nov 14 at 12:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Has to be displayport - I quite fancy it for my surface pro, 2 of those Dell screens!

Not sure what generation Surface Pro you have, but the first gen does not support DisplayPort 1.2 specification so you can't daisy chain monitors to it. If you've got a Surface Pro 2 or 3, you're OK.

ed

26th Nov 14 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Only 256GB?

Slightly off topic, what's PHP Storm like for dev'ing? Does it have built-in support for git/svn?

My personal MacBook is 256GB and I've never gone past 50-60% capacity - I wont be dealing with huge files so should be fine. All the other people in the team seem to be using the 256GB version too so hopefully It'll be ok (can always upgrade the SSD if needs be ).

PHP Storm is great, it's particularly useful for OOP and version 8 brings in loads of extra stuff for Laravel which is particularly convenient because it's the framework I'm going to be using. It's got Git support built in and does a nice job of it, but I tend to just use the command line stuff for that. One nice feature is that Grunt gets it's own tab and GUI

quote:
Originally posted by evilrob
quote:
Originally posted by ed
* Apple Magic Mouse

You know there are better wireless keyboards and mice available, right?

The Apple ones are alright (I have both, and a Magic Trackpad) - I use the keyboard and trackpad in a HengeDocks Clique enclosure for casual input requirements:
http://hengedocks.com/products/clique-magic-trackpad-and-wireless-keyboard-dock

However, I prefer to use a Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic set when sat at a desk (proper numeric keypad for starters):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Ergonomic-Keyboard-Standard-Packaging/dp/B00EO4NN5C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417004799&sr=8-1&keywords=microsoft+ergonomic

I've seen mixed reviews about the mouse, though a friend of mine has one and recommended it to me. The main reason I wanted it is because you can perform swipe gestures - that's one of the biggest reasons that I love OSX! If it's no good then I can always get something different.

The keyboard is probably a bit style over substance, but I rarely use the numeric keypad and I prefer Apple's bastardisation of a UK keyboard now I'm used to it. Plus, I can't stand those ergonomic things!

[Edited on 26-11-2014 by ed]
evilrob
Premium Member

26th Nov 14 at 12:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
I've seen mixed reviews about the mouse, though a friend of mine has one and recommended it to me. The main reason I wanted it is because you can perform swipe gestures - that's one of the biggest reasons that I love OSX! If it's no good then I can always get something different.

The keyboard is probably a bit style over substance, but I rarely use the numeric keypad and I prefer Apple's bastardisation of a UK keyboard now I'm used to it. Plus, I can't stand those ergonomic things!

Fair enough

Although if it's gestures you want - the Magic Trackpad is the tits for that.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll