corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » 2l 16v or tune my gsi engine

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 2l 16v or tune my gsi engine
starkie

User status: Offline
27th Feb 04 at 07:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hi whats alll your opionions on whether to put a 2l 16v red top in my corsa or tune the origional which is the c16xe
SRi_m00k

27th Feb 04 at 07:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'm plannin to put the red top into mine but i'm startin wi a 1400 so dont wanna tune it too much....1600 cud be a different case..hard decision!!

depends how much power u plan on finishin at!! if u want to finish below 150 go wit the tunin....if above ur safer to go wi the red top etc IMO more reliable
Siberia

27th Feb 04 at 08:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

simple as this yer gonna be throwing everthing including the kitchen sink at the 1.6ltr to get what? 160-170BHP

with the 2ltr u start off at 150BHP so for alot less cash u can get to the 160-170BHP

P.S did you send them dials off to me?
luca2020

27th Feb 04 at 11:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

depend son how far u wanna tune the 1.6

but at the end of the day the 2.0 will just have more tourqe which is where the power comes from, theres no replacement for displacement
corsa starter

27th Feb 04 at 12:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BE QUICK IN A LINE BUT 1.6 IS GONNA HANDLE BETTER AND I THINK TUNING A 1.6 WILL BE MORE OF A SATISFYING ACHIEVMENT WEN U REACH THOSE 160-170 FIGURES... UR CHOICE LOL
corsa starter

27th Feb 04 at 12:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

argh poxy keyboard soz bout caps
DP.

27th Feb 04 at 13:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think the question should be phrased towards can you afford to insure the 2L engine in ur corsa? if so then go for it! I did and dont regret it one bit at all...
Greasemonkey

27th Feb 04 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not trying to put ya off but my C16XE is getting on for the 160BHP mark and belive me its cost some money, to get this power ya looking at at least £2000 that dont include buyin th engine i have spent over £3000 cos i am having it re-built completely at the mo (been a nightmare dont ask)
But one thing is it is very satisfing to have a little 1.6 that can keep up with a 2litre, sod
Siberia

27th Feb 04 at 14:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Greasemonkey
Not trying to put ya off but my C16XE is getting on for the 160BHP mark and belive me its cost some money, to get this power ya looking at at least £2000 that dont include buyin th engine i have spent over £3000 cos i am having it re-built completely at the mo (been a nightmare dont ask)
But one thing is it is very satisfing to have a little 1.6 that can keep up with a 2litre, sod

if Greasemonkeys experience with the c16xe egine is anything to go by stay wellllllllllllllll away

[Edited on 27-02-2004 by Siberia]
Greasemonkey

27th Feb 04 at 14:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sod?????? where did that come from
broster
Premium Member

27th Feb 04 at 14:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

haha, yeah, even listening to all greasemonkeys problems iv decided to go down the 1.6 route rather than the 2.0ltr, itll give me more satisfaction tuning a 1.6 that bunging in a 2.0ltr which i wont be able to afford t otune for a loing while
Greasemonkey

27th Feb 04 at 15:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got a new crank arriving on monday any way mark, bit of good news
corsa120

27th Feb 04 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u will lose reliability of the 1.6 if u tune to these amounts of power hence the 2.0 is running 155bhp standard which will also be nicer as u cant beat cc

and talking about satisfying yourself you can be proud of having a red top sitting in the bay aswell as tuning it to even more satisfaction like the 1.6

like greasmonkey said tuning a 1.4/1.6 to high power costs
typical amount spent would be,

inlet manifold = 400-500
unichip = 400
zorst manifold = 160-300
zorst = 200-300
decat = 60
filter ??? depends which
ported polished head 100-200
cams = 400

all this u will see 140bhp from 1.4 and 160 approx from 1.6 but remember this price dont include fitting etc, so costing 1700-2000 just on purchasing the bits, more like 3000 grand once all fitted etc etc, when 2.0 has more torque and will pull 160bhp with just filter and decat/zorst all this for 1500 quid fitted go 2.0

AND AS FOR HANDLING come on everything has its perks look at jr's tuned 1.4 stripped out, when daimo said he was following him he said the back end was very skiddish, look at v6 clio in the wet handling will be terrible due to rear wheel drive, i dont believe the handling will suffer enough to make a massive difference

[Edited on 27-02-2004 by corsa120]
broster
Premium Member

27th Feb 04 at 17:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

handeling is debatable as to if itll make much difference, as for reliability you aint gunna suffer from reliability probsa with a tuned 1.6 with the mods u listed above any more than a 2.0ltr enginer which will more than likely have more miles than a 2.0ltr, they bother have their perks, a 2.0ltr would be nmice but me id rather have a tuned 1.6, then next year stick some tb's on it!
Kris TD

27th Feb 04 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa120
u will lose reliability of the 1.6 if u tune to these amounts of power hence the 2.0 is running 155bhp standard which will also be nicer as u cant beat cc

and talking about satisfying yourself you can be proud of having a red top sitting in the bay aswell as tuning it to even more satisfaction like the 1.6

like greasmonkey said tuning a 1.4/1.6 to high power costs
typical amount spent would be,

inlet manifold = 400-500
unichip = 400
zorst manifold = 160-300
zorst = 200-300
decat = 60
filter ??? depends which
ported polished head 100-200
cams = 400

all this u will see 140bhp from 1.4 and 160 approx from 1.6 but remember this price dont include fitting etc, so costing 1700-2000 just on purchasing the bits, more like 3000 grand once all fitted etc etc, when 2.0 has more torque and will pull 160bhp with just filter and decat/zorst all this for 1500 quid fitted go 2.0

AND AS FOR HANDLING come on everything has its perks look at jr's tuned 1.4 stripped out, when daimo said he was following him he said the back end was very skiddish, look at v6 clio in the wet handling will be terrible due to rear wheel drive, i dont believe the handling will suffer enough to make a massive difference

[Edited on 27-02-2004 by corsa120]

or just spend £1500 on throttle bodies and get 160 bhp just from that!!!
corsa120

27th Feb 04 at 18:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you will lose reliability ask any serious tuning shop,tts that is the one of the biggest bike tuning shops in the country i know the owner well and trust me he knows his stuff, he can tweak power from bike engines in a way u never thought was possible, but he allways states to owners when he tunes there bikes that reliability will be lost with high tuning techniques,

otherwise why is a corsa or pug 100bhp and 120 bhp why are'nt they 170-200bhp its because the manufacturers cant have people returning cars 5 years on because the cars were at a higher state of tune so they lost reliability, just imagine sorry sir we tuned these cars only to last 5 years

engines can be tuned very successfully im not denying that but they are not built to stand that state of tuning and be as reliable to last 200,000 miles, where as a Mr vauxhall worked out 150 bhp from the red top was a safe power to retain reliability

bike engines are at a higher state of tune to start with like titanium valve springs/followers/4 branch stainless zorsts, forged pistons, meaning they are built to take abuse and last this meaning they are reliable to a certain extent, a vauxhall engine if u do all the above the internals are under 70bhp more strain U DONT THINK THIS WILL HAVE AN AFFECT ON RELIABILITY

i no bikes are nout to do with cars but theory is the same
broster
Premium Member

27th Feb 04 at 19:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but the x16xe engine was deigned to take 150ish bhp tho and they put on a restrictiove inlet and changed the cams a bit thi if i remember correctly, my engine is tuned to 20ish bhp more than it should be no probs and i hammer it! the only reason its fucked is cuz the ecu is playing up, not the engine and i cant see the engine being tuned having this effect, bike engines are totally different really tho mate, they rev alot higher than cars so will need to be stronger, anyway end of the day its been stated before and ill state it again, some people will prefer to tune a 1.6 16v and some will prefer to drop in a 2.0ltr. i know what id rather do, and i know what youd rather do lol! and we will both stick to it as in our minds its the best option!
Andy

27th Feb 04 at 19:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only thing that will affect reliability is extra revs (unless you turbo it). The standard 1.4/1.6 engines can take 7500rpm no probs with uprated rod bolts and cam belt tensioners. With a Mantzel box, this will give 140-150bhp, with TBs up to about 170bhp. Above 7500rpm, you need uprated pistons and con rods, but you can make bigger power too

7500rpm is only another 750rpm or 10% above standard. Bike engines rev to 13,000+rpm, so hardly a relevant comparison
corsa120

27th Feb 04 at 22:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

see i knew u lot would take me literally, no broster the 1.6 was pushing out 120-125 bhp before the restriction and andy at daventry vauxhall proved it to me 2 years ago so u bein abit optimistic with the 150bhp mark lol, think of it this way broster me an are both engineers, take a electric motor rated at 2000 rpm max revs that runs 24 hrs a day now take same motor change the windings and up the rpm to 7500 with same INTERNALS dont argue we both no the 2nd motor will be the first LIKELY to break down may not be straight away could be 10 years but will happen. i no im right on the above as ive worked with hydraulics and motors for last 6 years and seen this.

1.6 is ok if ya play in division 1
im after premiership so anything thats 2.0 and above is what im after

also no offence broster but 20 bhp is not that much really not bothered what u think tune your 1.4 to 170 bhp and wait ten years then we'll have this same discussion!!!!!!!!, no car is the same in power anyway u should no bein an engineer like me nothin is precise or machined the same, one corsa sport 1.6 16v could have the stated 106bhp and another rolled of the factory floor with 112 just the way it is, look at corsasport110 he has more power than a standard 1.4 has and its standard, this is why when people say ive fitted a new filter or exhaust an come here saying my corsa is now more powerful and i noticed a difference it bull shit we just wanna believe it coz we've spent ££££'s on the mod and we dont wanna disapoint ourselfs, yes broster 20bhp is a good mark but come go to a rolling road day and same cars will be varying by 10-15bhp on the rollers so in this sense it aint that much
Andy

27th Feb 04 at 23:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
take a electric motor rated at 2000 rpm max revs that runs 24 hrs a day now take same motor change the windings and up the rpm to 7500 with same INTERNALS dont argue we both no the 2nd motor will be the first LIKELY to break down

The mods discussed above using 7500rpm limit to generate 150bhp in a 1.6 equate to a 10% increase in revs. Your electric motor example of increasing revs from 2000-7500rpm is a 375% increase in rpm. Hardly a good argument
Andy

27th Feb 04 at 23:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
1.6 is ok if ya play in division 1
im after premiership so anything thats 2.0 and above is what im after

I have a reliable 215bhp from my 1.6 engine. So drop your 2.0 in and then discover that how it will be outperformed by my 1.6 in a straight line and annihilated round the twisties. Then go and play in Vauxhall Conference league
Mo

27th Feb 04 at 23:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^^^^^^ go Andy go!!!
Andy

27th Feb 04 at 23:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi Mo - u going to the National Meeting?
Mo

27th Feb 04 at 23:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yep should be there
are u going?
Andy

27th Feb 04 at 23:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I probably will, though the Corsa is having longer air intakes fitted so will be in bits that week. I'm thinking of coming down in my old Mk 2 valver Golf (if they allow me in)

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll