corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » bumper repairs

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author bumper repairs
LukeGSi

User status: Offline
   1st Feb 04 at 15:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanx to a dumbass pheasant with a death wish i now have a little problem.....

How much you think to get this fixed, think the crack looks worse than it is and then re-spray front bumper????

[Edited on 01-02-2004 by born_upsideout]

[Edited on 01-02-2004 by born_upsideout]
LukeGSi

1st Feb 04 at 16:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no1???
R Lee

1st Feb 04 at 16:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

to be honest i haven't a clue about the price of repairing that.

damage doesn't look too bad, probably a case of filling it in and then respraying it for the perfect finish?

don't quote me on any of that though
AndyCorsa

1st Feb 04 at 16:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shouldn't cost much. You won't have to have the whole bumper resprayed anyway. They will just put some sort of filler on it, smooth it down and blend the paint in with the rest of your bumper. I'd say about 100 - 150 tops.
LukeGSi

1st Feb 04 at 16:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers guys. pop down to the bodyshop 2moro me thinks
LukeGSi

1st Feb 04 at 22:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its really bugging me now, guy at wrk just said they will have to "plastic weld" it and respray the whole thing??? ive never heard of plastic weld?? is he talking from his arse??? Any1 else know howmuch this might cost???
GavW

1st Feb 04 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would advise you to get it plastic welded cause if you just fill over the top you run the risk of the crack coming back. And yes, you will also have to spray all of the bumper, if you try and blend it it will look rubbish. Shouldn't be too much to repair it, £150 at the absolute tops.

Hope this helps.
LukeGSi

1st Feb 04 at 23:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks a lot mate
Greasemonkey

1st Feb 04 at 23:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i hit a dog in my GSI and it cracked my front bumper, the guys said because of the type of plastic it is its not great for plastic welding, they said they would do it but wouldnt garentee it as it was on the corner which get stressed, i had to get a new front bumper, had it fully sprayed and smoothed cost a fortune

[Edited on 01-02-2004 by Greasemonkey]
LukeGSi

1st Feb 04 at 23:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Greasemonkey
i hit a dog in my GSI and it cracked my front bumper, the guys said because of the type of plastic it is its not great for plastic welding, they said they would do it but wouldnt garentee it as it was on the corner which get stressed, i had to get a new front bumper, had it fully sprayed and smoothed cost a fortune

FECK dont tell me things like that Was the damage worse than mine??? How much is a fortune???
Greasemonkey

1st Feb 04 at 23:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no the damage wasnt anywere near as bad as yours, i had a crank 2 inches long on the corner under the drivers side head light, i had the reapirs paid for by the owner of the dog, i had an arch, wing and bonnet re-spray, and a new front bumper that was fully smoothed, repairs came to over £1000 in the end
LukeGSi

1st Feb 04 at 23:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats gona be 1 expensive pheasant me thinks!!
Greasemonkey

1st Feb 04 at 23:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks that way matey, fuckin things, that did some serious damage man, carnt belive it cracked ya bumper so much, if ya get it re-sprayed cos they will use filler on the repair it will leave a smooth patch in a textured bumper so you will have to get it all smoothed
LukeGSi

1st Feb 04 at 23:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

shit hadnt thought of that!! B@stard thing, any1 know of a caribic blue bumper going cheap - yeah right!!!
Greasemonkey

1st Feb 04 at 23:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you can have mine
not lol, its a bastard having our bumper, every one wants one, like rocking horse shit, rare
LukeGSi

1st Feb 04 at 23:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ill pop to the bodyshop and see what they say...if not looks like ill be on the look out for a new bumper!!
GLSi GUY

1st Feb 04 at 23:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

plasic weldint is like getting a soldering iron and melting both sides of the crack together.
Colour-Tec Coachworks

2nd Feb 04 at 00:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You will need it to be plastic welded or repair with special plastic repairing filler. If it was fixed the way a fibreglass bumper was then it would simply crack. Thats why most plastic bumpers are wrote off if they are damaged like that as its sometimes more hassle than its worth to repair.
Another factor could be (doesnt look like it from pic) elastic distortion, basically this is when the bumper bends out of shape almost like a dent, but will never be reshaped to factory standard... again, another reason why so many bumpers are binned for minor damage
LukeGSi

2nd Feb 04 at 00:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nah its not bent at all just cracked, il probably spend £££ getting it fixed as finding 2nd hand gsi bumpers in good nick is like rocking horse shite!! The only problem is the bumpers is textured and that bit will be smooth if its filled, might not be a problem tho as wont really be that big and is fairly low down and not that oblivious to look at!! any idea how much to repair and respray mate???
LukeGSi

2nd Feb 04 at 04:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bump for the morning guys
LukeGSi

2nd Feb 04 at 15:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

woo hoo got a quote from a VERY good bodyshop today to repair front bumper - £170!! Well chuffed thought it was gona be much more!! While they're at it they're gona get rid of lock and wiper on tailgate grand total of 300 notes!!!
Kris TD

2nd Feb 04 at 15:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

most places would bother fixing it, as for £170, you could do it yourself and just pay to get it painted, its not difficult to do, ive done it before.
Greasemonkey

2nd Feb 04 at 15:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nice one dude, i thought ya would end up getting stuffed for a new bumper, just hope it aint a weak point that fails in the future
Kris TD

2nd Feb 04 at 15:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by GavW
I would advise you to get it plastic welded cause if you just fill over the top you run the risk of the crack coming back. And yes, you will also have to spray all of the bumper, if you try and blend it it will look rubbish. Shouldn't be too much to repair it, £150 at the absolute tops.

Hope this helps.

nah man, they wont spray the whole thing unless you ask, my bro works doing this thing every day, they have contracts with mercedes and pug. anyone who is good at spraying will be able to blend it in and you would never know.
LukeGSi

2nd Feb 04 at 16:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Greasemonkey
nice one dude, i thought ya would end up getting stuffed for a new bumper, just hope it aint a weak point that fails in the future

thats what im slightly worried about but for that kinda money ive gota give it a whirl!! thanx for your comments guys

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll