corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Superchip Question

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Superchip Question
Greasemonkey

User status: Offline
27th Oct 03 at 22:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can i fit a supechip myself, do you just un plug the old chip and plug in the superchip?????
Also i want the benifits of the higher rev limit on a superchip and the ability to set up fuel etc with a unichip Velos said i could have both???? is this right so i can have a superchip and unichip?? If so i am gonna do it
Wolf In Welsh Clothing

27th Oct 03 at 22:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can put a unichip and superchip.
Vaux ECU's dont really like having the rev limit raised, i had the unichip rev limit unit and have heard of people having superchips and quite a few have had problems.
Mine used to much up while driving for an hour or so and would cause me to have to pull over on the bypass to stop the engine for 10secs and then carry on my journey.
If ur gonna spend £700 on re-programming then just get a race spec ECU like i did, much more reliable, totally mappable and you can take it to ur next car.
Mine cost bout £1000 fitted at velos, was ace to connect it to my laptop and see all the sensor readings.
miles

28th Oct 03 at 08:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As above, its a complete waste of £6/700 to get the 2 above when for that price you can get a proper ecu and loom.

That gives you so much more scope for more mods and will have a much better sell on value. Just keep your standard stuff in case you ever want to put it back to sell.

You also get shift lights, launch control and the ability to adjust everything via laptop.
Greasemonkey

28th Oct 03 at 09:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

would a proper ecu benifit me with my kind of mods, ported polished head, manifold, exhaust, mantzel powerbox, k & n, gutted i didnt go for throttle bodies !!!!!
miles

28th Oct 03 at 09:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes, it can be mapped to suit every set up. You can also ditch the egr, and dodgy ICV......
vibrio
Banned

28th Oct 03 at 11:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Greasemonkey
Can i fit a supechip myself, do you just un plug the old chip and plug in the superchip?????
Also i want the benifits of the higher rev limit on a superchip and the ability to set up fuel etc with a unichip Velos said i could have both???? is this right so i can have a superchip and unichip?? If so i am gonna do it

yes forget about a superchip. t hey are a waste of money. if your going down the route of the inlet get a mappable system like the UNICHIP or go the whole hog and get a new ECU like DTA
Greasemonkey

28th Oct 03 at 12:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

all i wanted the superchip for was to raise the rev limit cos with my mods the power band is 5000rpm up to 7500ish i carnt rev past 6500 so its limiting my power output?????
Velos want £400 to fit and set up a Unichip is this good
Greasemonkey

28th Oct 03 at 12:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh and how much BHP will i gain from it
vibrio
Banned

28th Oct 03 at 13:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Greasemonkey
all i wanted the superchip for was to raise the rev limit cos with my mods the power band is 5000rpm up to 7500ish i carnt rev past 6500 so its limiting my power output?????
Velos want £400 to fit and set up a Unichip is this good

you want to spend £200 for a raised rev limit. you have a rev limit for a reason you know.

you'll gain mid range mainly.
MikeH

28th Oct 03 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unless you change the engine in some way there is simply no point in raising the limit because anything past 6500 and your power will be dropping off anyway!
Greasemonkey

28th Oct 03 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got stage 2 ported polished head, soon to have lightened balanced crank and fly wheel with re-built engine thats going in, its got 4-2-1 manifold ,exhaust, K & N mantzel bower box
the power box need the rev limit raised,
Its also gonna have new rod bolts from Velos and steel pulles and tensioners to hold it all together so revving at 7500 is gonna be no problem
Greasemonkey

28th Oct 03 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just wanna know whats best and the power gains
miles

28th Oct 03 at 13:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have a look on the velos site for what power figures they give with the unichip and DTA.

With this spec its really crying out for some throttle bodies, or at least the velos induction system rather than mantzel. With after market management you'll also be able to ditch the standard throttle body and fitter a bigger one like off a nova gsi.

Your probably looking at about 140-145bhp.
ffls

28th Oct 03 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In a1.4 16V it gave +4bhp and 5nm of torque measure in the Same RR before anf after. And you need to raise the rev limit to 7250 rpm if you want to have the power gains from the Powerbox. Maxpower is at 7000 rpm by the way. Do not past the 7300 rpm and you'll not have problems, with the rev limit. Use a very good synthetic oil, and try to cooler the engine (cooler thermostat plus blocked EGR to protect it)
Greasemonkey

28th Oct 03 at 16:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well i want 160BHP + eventually am i gonna have to get throttle bodies
miles

28th Oct 03 at 17:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes.
vibrio
Banned

28th Oct 03 at 17:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote