corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » engine overheating problem - help needed!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author engine overheating problem - help needed!
Bonzai

User status: Offline
   16th Aug 03 at 16:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive driven shitloads this last week and in the hot weather, i didnt think much of the engine running slightly hotter than usual. then on monday night i ran out of water and the temp redlined. i managed to get it filled back up and cooled down, all seemed ok. then thursday on another long journey started to overheat again, opened bonnet, noticed a burst pipe. i had to drive for a few hours before i could replace the burst pipe but i filled the water every time i saw a petrol station, i never ran out. carried out the repairs not a problem but now my car keeps drinkin water and i cant spot a leak for the life of me. anyone got any suggestions, known tech issues etc etc. any help is appreciated ('93 TD if it helps)
Cybermonkey

16th Aug 03 at 16:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

check your oil for white gunk on dipstick, filler cap. May be a head gasket problem.
Dan_Corsa

16th Aug 03 at 16:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cybermonkey24
check your oil for white gunk on dipstick, filler cap. May be a head gasket problem.

yeah i was thinking the same thing,sounds like it maybe your head gasket
Cybermonkey

16th Aug 03 at 16:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you do find white gunk anywhere in the oil system, get a compression test checked at a garage. If they do find its head gasket problem, get them to skim the head, as it will have warped.
Bonzai

16th Aug 03 at 16:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i checked dipstick and oil filler cap and couldnt find any white gunk etc, all looked normal to me. just checked water also and it was at the same level as it was when i left near bournemouth earlier (now home in cardiff, however many miles that is)
BabyBlade

16th Aug 03 at 19:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when mine went the gunk only appeared when the engine was hot...does sound like a head gasket gone
miles

16th Aug 03 at 19:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by lordbonzai
just checked water also and it was at the same level as it was when i left bournemouth earlier now home in cardiff

So its ok now? You probably lost water after you first replaced the pipe due to an airlock. Now the system is full again its fine.

If the oil is fine, but you are still losing water, and cant spot it physically leaving, look at the exhaust for steam.

Which hose split?
Bonzai

16th Aug 03 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it was a tiny one behind two others, i'll try organise a pic now
Bonzai

16th Aug 03 at 20:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/lordbonzai2/lordbonzai/corsainductionkit.JPG

in the pic you can see the two pipes either side of the dipstick. the pipe which burst was a 16mm flexible tube located behind the larger of the two pipes.

it was a bitch to get to, made harder by the fact i only had 2 screwdrivers, 10 ratchet spanners, 1 pliers 1 side snips and an adjustable spanner! really could have done with a socket set of my own
miles

16th Aug 03 at 20:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've no idea about the diesels, but that sounds like it could be the turbo coolent feed.

So has it stopped loosing water now?
greycorsa

16th Aug 03 at 21:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds like ur radiator wasnt full with water. ther may have been airlocks in it. ther must b a bleed valve in ur system sumwher, chek it out.
Bonzai

16th Aug 03 at 21:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ill have to borrow the haynes manual for the diesel engine off my mate cos i couldnt find a drain on the radiator. i jacked the car up but i couldnt see anythin. i just disconnected the top pope instead and ran the engine constantly filling the reservoir with fresh water. as far as i know. so to re-cap water level looks to beok now but the car was still getting hot (over 90 deg) on a day which wasnt that hot where i was and my car never used to overheat when i first baught it
Bonzai

17th Aug 03 at 12:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ttt
Cybermonkey

17th Aug 03 at 12:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im stumped
Bonzai

17th Aug 03 at 14:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ill have to get my college buddie come motor mechanic to have a look at it. stuff takin it to a garage. i cant have my car overheating on medium/long journeys, i do about 30 to 40 miles most week days

New Poll