corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » rear plate recess (FAO bodywork ppl)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author rear plate recess (FAO bodywork ppl)
moddedcorsa

User status: Offline
   16th Jun 03 at 20:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a post 97 rear bumper, and a fiesta (mk4 i think) rear bumper with plate recess.

I have already cut out the plate recess from the fiesta bumper (so its basically a pannel now)
What would b the best way to put into the post 97 rear?

I was thinking bond it in with an epoxy resign glue type stuff (same as they use to fix cracks in bumpers, sometimes known as plastic weld)

And also what will b the best way to smooth over the old numberplate light?
i was thinking of using a soldering iron to melt the edges of a bit of plastic to the inside of the bumper, then some epoxy resign for on it for strength.

And whats the best way to smooth the line that runs round the bumper??
Adam-D

16th Jun 03 at 21:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

for th light i say glue original light into it the use filler over it should be ok
Kris TD

16th Jun 03 at 22:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

weld a piece of the bumper pastic over the hole with a soldering iron, then use fibreglass matting over the bottom for strength, then use fibreglass filler to fill the top in, then use a tiny bit of filler to smooth it all off .
moddedcorsa

17th Jun 03 at 18:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

will normal pp or ppedm bond with pp+e (which the post 97 bumper is)?? As i cant find any off cuts of pp+e plastic about, and i dont wanna get another bumper fo a bit of plastic about 2" x 3" long
Kris TD

17th Jun 03 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why dont u use a bit you cut out the corsa bumper where the plate recess is going in.
STEvieXE

17th Jun 03 at 21:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah use the original corsa bumper for a piece of plastic. but v the edges of new piece and bumper then use ur soldering iron to melt them together. using f/glass matting on underside for strength is deffo a great idea but i wouldnt use the f/fill on top of new piece of plastic. no point. make it flush with bumper then just a light skim of stopper. to use the f/fill then ud just be losing the benefits of using the plastic instead of just f/glassing it up coz ud be left with the same thing.
Kris TD

17th Jun 03 at 21:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah good point, im a bit tired, lol
moddedcorsa

18th Jun 03 at 18:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kris TD
why dont u use a bit you cut out the corsa bumper where the plate recess is going in.

duh!! am i not a retard!!! (i was thinking of doin the light first, so never thought about the plastic cut from the recess)

what do u mean by stopper stevie?
cheers

[Edited on 19-06-2003 by moddedcorsa]
moddedcorsa

22nd Jun 03 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have cut the plate recess out of the fiesta bumper, ive cut the hole for it out on the post 97 bumper, and i plastic welded over the light.
Well pleased with the light, its VERY strong compared to what i thought it would b like. I V 'd the edges out on it and then melted the edges with a soldering iron, then i melted some more plastic (an of-cut from where the plate recess will b bonded in, so the plastic is an exact match)

Now i need to fill the grove in the bumper, bond the recess in, and smooth over the light. Well happy with what ive done so far!! thanks for the help guys!
moddedcorsa

23rd Jun 03 at 19:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what would be best to bond the plate recess in?? would silkaflex or tiger seal work??
MattyB

23rd Jun 03 at 20:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hey modded corsa.....how deep is this recess? Coz u gotta be careful of the crash bar that is literally right behind the bumper. I Couldnt even get a rea no. plate light in mine!

Matt
moddedcorsa

28th Jun 03 at 12:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah i was thinking that, i have another one, so i might have to cut/weld it to suit
koni

29th Jun 03 at 15:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Biggest mistake first timers make is to use fibreglass and filler on plastics, it does not work and will not bond the surfaces properly as they are not workable composites. To Bond in the recess, use something like: Fusor Plastic bonding, this is used by most bodyshops to do plastic bumper repairs. Fibreglass and filler over plastic WILL crack, doesnt matter how much you key the plastic surface. You can also buy a specially flowable filler from from ITW finsihing, which is again designed for plastics, this couple be used to finsh your repair lines.
As for the number plate light, cut hol, hot glue, nice and tidy fit and it wont look out of place.
moddedcorsa

29th Jun 03 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers koni, could u possible sort me out with some of these plastic bonding kits?

(i already have isopon bumper fill, which is designed for abs plastic, and im goin to use that to smooth out the line where the c/coded and black plastic meets) cheers

also would it matter if i chopped bits out of the metal bar behind the bumper (and welded bracing or sumfing to strengthing it) so that the recess will fit?
dantheman

9th Dec 05 at 13:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you got any pics of ya work so far im looking at doin this

New Poll