corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » DIY Spraying arches/bumpers with aresol paint....?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author DIY Spraying arches/bumpers with aresol paint....?
Cursa

User status: Offline
23rd May 03 at 13:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think i'll get an ok finish doing this, if i take my time and smooth and prime everying properly, but will I get a perfect colour match? The car is star silver, and Holt's make an aresol for it... which they say is a good colour match once lacquered, will it do? Cheers.
Icy

23rd May 03 at 14:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no
p1723944

23rd May 03 at 14:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree, I done my fair share of spraying on my car, i sprayed the standard arched to see what sort of finish i could get. After doing that i decided to leave it to a pro.

I agree that the arches should be a great prob but when it comes to the bumpers i think you would find it difficult with cans, it would be even more difficult if spraying it on the car.

And my final point is the cost involved if you add up the price of all the primer, paint and laq you'll find it all adds up.

I sprayed a motorbike once with full fairing and it took shit loads of can very costly
Dave Hay

23rd May 03 at 14:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its possible - all in the preperation

but if you aint sprayed before youll fuck it up lol

and spray cans suck - never spread paint good enough.
mike_southside

23rd May 03 at 16:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yer i am thinking about doin that to, i have sprayed some of my body work and the finsh and colour match was perfect.

just make sure u by plastic prime, not just primer and clear lacker. show me the results if u deside to do it. make sure u mask every thing up to and use wet and dry sand paper.

gud luck mate
wassup2002

23rd May 03 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

got to agree there. i smashed my bike up again a few weeks back. sprayed it again about half hour in the garage outside. its my own custom respray in matt black. looks sweet when the paint is frist on and its lacquered but once the weather gets into it and eats the lacquer it starts to eat away at the primer coat which makes it chip off very easily. Id just take it to a bodyshop. after all there is the old saying ' things done cheaply aways cost more in the long run '
dannycorsa c

23rd May 03 at 17:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

did my mirrors on my corsa c myself what a load ov poo never again!!!
broster
Premium Member

23rd May 03 at 17:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i sprayed some m3 mirrors, boot handle an door handles eith spray cans, its flame red, used halfords paint, match is spot on an finish is as good as u get, this is prob cuz they are all small areas, neva sprayed biger than this with cans
Cursa

23rd May 03 at 17:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for the views lads, was probably going to end up taking it to a body shop anyway, but was pondering the idea of doing it myself. Suppose I could save myself quite a bit of cash by taking everything off the car and sanding it myself....?
wassup2002

23rd May 03 at 17:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its best to take it to the bodyshop, the bodykit or whatever you want spraying , as its the preparation that determines the overall finish and quality of the spray job
Joff

23rd May 03 at 18:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had a paint sprayer do my arches and tops of bumpers with a couple of cans of paint and a couple of plastic primers.

The result was waaaay better than the faded arches, but 8 months down the line the paint is starting to flake off, but then it only cost me the trade price of 4 tins.

New Poll