corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Homebuyer Report didn't identify woodburner isn't certified. Advice?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Homebuyer Report didn't identify woodburner isn't certified. Advice?
nibnob21
Premium Member

User status: Offline
10th Oct 16 at 16:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bought our house last November and I’ve just found out the chimney isn’t lined and the woodburner hasn’t been HETAS certified. We only used the woodburner a handful of times last year as it doesn’t draw well at all…because it isn’t lined.

I’m almost certain the woodburner was installed after 2010, which means it should have the HETAS plaque and a CO2 sensor in the room. I could have sworn when we bought the place I’d checked with the solicitors that the correct paperwork was there for the woodburner but frustratingly I can find no evidence of this.

I’ve checked our homebuyers report (that an independent estate agent carried out under instruction from Nationwide) and they recognise the presence of the woodburner but haven’t followed it up by asking to see the installation certificate. Yet they were on the ball with the out of date paperwork for the boiler that hadn’t been serviced for over a year.

Wording from the survey is "The multi-fuel room heater in the lounge has a brick surround and slate hearth. Heating installations should be installed and serviced regularly (usually every year) by an appropriately qualified person who is registered under the government-approved ' competent person' scheme." And they've scored it a 1 - essentially meaning no repair is currently needed and it should be maintained in the normal way.

I’ve got a couple of quotes for getting the chimney lined (circa £1000) but was wondering whether the surveyors should be picking up part of the bill for failing to do such a simple part of their job by not highlighting to us of the possibility the paperwork wasn't in place. I imagined checking a woodburner complied with building regs would be their bread and butter.

Any advice?

MX5 Project Thread
RichR
Premium Member

10th Oct 16 at 19:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Chimney is easy to line yourself and actually isn't a requirement of HETAS afaik; I lined with a 316 SS liner, had a custom register plate made and bought all the fittings and vermiculite for around £500 iirc: it is a piece of piss to do though.
AndyKent

10th Oct 16 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I expect you'll find theres a clause in there somewhere that the survey undertaker is not liable for omissions (especially for items hidden by finishes).

Besides, on the basis that your survey was (at a guess) £200-300, there isn't going to be much money left over to claim against.
VegasPhil
Premium Member

11th Oct 16 at 15:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your solicitor should just about have the files. They have to keep them for 6 years I think. Ask them to pull them out.

Might have to pay a fee to retrieve them from archive though.....

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
DaveyLC

11th Oct 16 at 15:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by nibnob21
a CO2 sensor in the room.

A CO2 sensor eh? Tell me more.
VegasPhil
Premium Member

11th Oct 16 at 15:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
quote:

Hahaha I had someone pick up on this exact thing yesterday. Why they are commonly known as CO2 sensor I don't know.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
nibnob21
Premium Member

11th Oct 16 at 18:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
quote:

CO sensor

[Edited on 11-10-2016 by nibnob21]

MX5 Project Thread
pow
Premium Member

13th Oct 16 at 08:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You own the house mate, you're on your own with this one!

When my survey was done I was told that anything that isn't visible won't be picked up.

[Edited on 13-10-2016 by pow]

New Poll