corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Netgear DHCP Relaying

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Netgear DHCP Relaying
pow
Premium Member

User status: Offline
28th Oct 15 at 14:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Trying to VLAN up a network, mostly going nicely. I've got inter-vlan routing sorted etc, all working lovely if I manually assign an IP to two clients on different VLANs and ping each other.

My setup is a bunch of L2 switches with all the VLANs on every switch. All of the uplink ports have all of the VLANs tagged on them. Clients in a VLAN have a PVID of that VLAN number and the port is untagged on that VLAN. Every other port is untagged on VLAN 1 (that won't be used once the transition is done). There's a M7100 at the middle with L3 routing turned on, all ports to this are tagged with every VLAN (and untagged with VLAN1) as all the switches plug into this. I've moved my DHCP server to VLAN 6 and put a client in VLAN 32. I've turned on every DHCP L2 relay option I can find and it's still not working. Give the client an address in VLAN 32 and I can ping the DHCP server not a problem!

Anyone got any advise?

Thanks
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

28th Oct 15 at 17:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

has the layer3 switch got static IP addresses set on each vlan

Set the DHCP scope up with the gateway of the static IP of the VLAN

[Edited on 28-10-2015 by VrsTurbo]
pow
Premium Member

29th Oct 15 at 08:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Done and done, has always been like that

I always set the vlan interface to the last usable address in the vlan's subnet and point the DHCP server to that gateway for that subnet, got exactly the same setup at another school using Meraki which works no problem, just can't get the settings on the Netgear stuff right

[Edited on 29-10-2015 by pow]
pow
Premium Member

29th Oct 15 at 08:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I managed to fuck DHCP completely yesterday by playing, nothing at all even on VLAN 1 would respond to a DHCP request
Kyle T
Premium Member

30th Oct 15 at 09:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do clients in VLAN6 get a DHCP address when connected? (DHCP setup might just be knackered )

I'm not sure what the Netgear config looks like for IP Helper addresses, but you normally need an entry against every VLAN saying something like

interface VLAN 6
ip helper-address 192.168.32.1 (IP address of DHCP server)

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
pow
Premium Member

30th Oct 15 at 14:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That is exactly what I have configured. I didn't try that Kyle, I'll give that a go.

interface vlan 32
ip helper-address 10.5.6.171 dhcp
Kyle T
Premium Member

30th Oct 15 at 15:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good guess on the netgear config then!

I'd certainly rule out the DHCP itself, is it a windows box doing it?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
pow
Premium Member

30th Oct 15 at 15:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah server 2012 r2 box doing it. You've got my thought juices flowing... Wondering if it's some sort of weirdy problem with the Dell vrtx switch and the trunking between the nodes and that switch thsts fucked with Vlan tagging somewhere. Might spin up a quick box on a vm to try out, isolating that switch.

New Poll