corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Self service password reset software

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Self service password reset software
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

User status: Offline
10th Jul 15 at 10:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

re: subject, anyone maintain a system like this at the moment? We would like our Active Directory users to be able reset their passwords using custom questions and or other methods. Currently looking at LANDesk Password Central - interested to see what else is out there?

Neo

10th Jul 15 at 13:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I looked into it before and trialed manage engine AD manager which worked well but was very expensive. Was a while back now though
LukesCorsaSXi

11th Jul 15 at 08:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We use SSRPM - when a user signs in they are asked 5 questions. If a user wants their password resetting our first line guys usually go through the questions they have used and answer them accordingly.

Once setup a user is required to be in a certain OU group to push the initial SSRPM setup out to them.
Andrew

11th Jul 15 at 16:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If a user can't rememeber their own password, good luck getting them to go thorugh a series of questions.
Gaz

11th Jul 15 at 21:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm sure we have Manage Engine installed in work too but not live yet, but my old place used Quest IIRC.

Either way they are all the same from the front end, you need to work out what requirements you want from the back end and then simple design and promote it to your user base.

No-one likes having to do it themselves but the pro's far out way the con's for this type of tool especially if your are a 24/7 business.
willay
Premium Member

12th Jul 15 at 18:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its a college, will come down to cost vs amount of calls we have logged in the past for password resets.
LukesCorsaSXi

12th Jul 15 at 19:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Andrew
If a user can't rememeber their own password, good luck getting them to go thorugh a series of questions.

They're questions for which the answers do not change. For example; What is your maiden name? Or, what was your first car?
Richie

12th Jul 15 at 21:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For any of our clients that want self service password resets we use Quest Password Manager - pretty cheap if you have a good relationship with Dell.

Also has a handy feature for remote / VPN users where it caches the user reset info and allows for resets / unlocks when the user has no connectivity
Gaz

12th Jul 15 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
its a college, will come down to cost vs amount of calls we have logged in the past for password resets.

Your problem will be ensuring the cost covers the correct level of security also. I'd imagine in the education side of IT support, you always have one smartarse trying to make life difficult for you.
willay
Premium Member

13th Jul 15 at 06:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gaz
quote:
Originally posted by willay

Your problem will be ensuring the cost covers the correct level of security also. I'd imagine in the education side of IT support, you always have one smartarse trying to make life difficult for you.

Not really, everything gets implemented with security in mind.
Richie

13th Jul 15 at 09:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think what Gaz was implying is that there's always 1 cock in management that has a say in the solution and doesn't like the idea of self service password resets and sees it as a security risk. We have management on certain customers that don't allow us to use trunked ports to servers as they see it as a security risk

So instead of me having 4U servers with 6x10GB interfaces (2 for management, 4 for all customer traffic vlans) ... I have over 30 1gb ports per server. It's a cabling nightmare and the customer is paying the price heavily!
willay
Premium Member

13th Jul 15 at 10:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh dear

Okay well thanks for that, I'm merely after product suggestions and names so I can go out there and seek trials, and of course any experience of said products would be helpful. We want to empower the students and free up the help desk but if its too much money then its too much money
Richie

13th Jul 15 at 10:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Quest really works well imo. Pricing direct is £4.11 per user that you want to enable self service on. If you buy hardware from Dell they will usually pull their pants down for you on the pricing. They did us a shockingly good deal on a recent customer that needed the use of Quest Migration Manager.
willay
Premium Member

13th Jul 15 at 10:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Quest huh, I haven't heard that name since vranger, and Dell completely fucked that product up when they got bought out
Neo

13th Jul 15 at 10:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seen Nervepoint banded round as a free solution. Never tried it though but it seems to be rated highly
Kyle T
Premium Member

14th Jul 15 at 10:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Richie
For any of our clients that want self service password resets we use Quest Password Manager - pretty cheap if you have a good relationship with Dell.

Also has a handy feature for remote / VPN users where it caches the user reset info and allows for resets / unlocks when the user has no connectivity

We had this for years but eventually stopped licensing it at people just weren't enrolling to the system.

One of the nice features though was the "admin mode", you could essentially empower a shift supervisor or manager to perform password resets/unlocks for his/her team. Really useful for night shifts etc when the IT Helpdesk is only 9-5.

I think if I were to revisit this, you need to enforce enrollment from day 1. Security best policy conflicts with what you WANT to set your questions/answers to. Stuff like "first car", "mothers maiden name" is crap because it's all information freely available on Facebook most of the time. They need to be things that are more difficult to learn from a quick google, which usually means that the users themselves won't remember them

On the quest/dell front - we have a fairly large investment into Quest and Dell have only screwed a couple of bits up. It's their support which is mostly lacking as most of the Quest techs fucked off. I'm lucky to have access to an ex-Quest consultant though.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi

New Poll