corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » New house day

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author New house day
Kyle T
Premium Member

User status: Offline
17th Mar 15 at 13:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As I mentioned in my car project thread, I moved into a new house over the weekend - so perhaps time for a thread.

I took a mortgage out on my old place as a first time buyer in 2008. It was a one bed newbuild on an "easy buy" scheme which was very over priced, combined with the economy progression in the years since - I ended up quite deep in negative equity on it.

In around 2010, my GF moved in with me and it has been an uncomfortable squeeze ever since, not to mention the complete lack of outdoor space for storage and car tinkering - we both felt the house was just a negative impact on our standard of living.

We've clawed together the cash which should have been a deposit for our next place, but instead we just had to use it all in an attempt to break even - and even then, we have borrowed a bit of money to make a clean break on the old place. Desperate to move out, we turned to renting - and as a result we've got the following on a 12month agreement, with the hope to extend it for a couple more years and maybe even talk the landlord into selling it

It's located in a tiny village about 3 miles outside of the town we used to live, no ammeneties in the village except a bus stop, post box and phone box. House is a semi detached cottage, with three bedrooms.

Our budget for renting (whilst still giving us headroom for saving towards the next deposit) was 800p/month which was looking to get us a 3 bed detached newbuild on a cramped estate, perhaps with a two car driveway but most probably with a garage that couldn't be feasibly used for a car.

This place came in under that budget (however central heating is oil burned, so expect to spend the money we saved here), and it's worlds away from a new build estate. As we just moved on saturday, the place is a shit tip - so don't judge.

Here it is from the front:

The side:

Garden:

Starting in the garage, because it's my favourite bit - I've got enough room for all the storage shelves that were already in it, plus 3-4 feet at each side of the car and 8-10 spare feet lengthways too. Can easily walk around the full car with all doors open

Internal door of the garage leads to a little utility room, leaky double glazing on the right hand window has led to permenant condensation inside it:

Utility room leads into kitchen:

...which leads to the dining room - much bigger than it looks on the pics, easily enough room for the big table to sit in the middle which can be extended to seat 8 people. Got the table on eBay on moving day, 180quid with 6 chairs.

To the right of the shot of the dining room is a little under stairs cupboard and downstairs loo:

Out of the dining room and into the little entrance hall.

Then through into the living room:

Runs full depth of the house, bit of a funny shape for the TV/speakers but I'll figure something out. Fireplace is awesome

Up the stairs and we've got 3 bedrooms, a bathroom and an airing cupboard:

Our bedroom:

Office (will also have a sofa bed):

Back bedroom, smallest but will still easily fit a double bed, wardrobe and some drawers...

Bathroom, shower cubicle just to the left of shot:

Then some views, first the front from our bedroom:

Then the back, landlords house is the one to the right.

Obviously as it's rented, I don't have any plans as such - though I do intend to show willing and spruce a few things up. Painting gates, sorting garden out, etc. We've only been in it a couple of days, and already really falling for it - to the point I regret renting it as I may never get to own it, but we'll put feelers out with the landlord (old couple, bought it so they could extend their garden 10 years or so back). The whole village is very proud of the appearance of it, I couldn't put a sky dish up in view for example If I show that I can tidy this place up, maybe I'll be considered worthy of a residency...

Should be a fun year at least anyway, plenty of room for BBQs, car fettling and having people round (never been able to really host before) - so it's been worth the move so far.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
whitter45

17th Mar 15 at 16:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

congratulations

Looks like a nice spot
Ben G

17th Mar 15 at 16:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks like a lovely house, but that side garage just looks odd from the front suppose they weren't allowed to blend it in with the house?
Kyle T
Premium Member

17th Mar 15 at 17:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Honestly not sure Ben, considering the lengths they go to to keep this village looking nice - I can't believe they got away with bolting it on like they did!

Garage pre-dates the purchase of the house made by my landlord, would seem somebody into their Lotus' had the house before as there are a few owners club stickers dotting around - and the utility room is quite clearly a parts cleaning room

I think if it were mine, I'd attempt to grow something up the side of it to make it a little less sore thumb.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Graham88

18th Mar 15 at 14:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks nice mate. Must be nice and peaceful
Marc

18th Mar 15 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks nice from the front and a very villagey feel to the area. I love being in the city too much to want to move somewhere like that though!
dan_m1les

20th Mar 15 at 12:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The looks awesome from the front and with the garage!
flybikeslee

20th Mar 15 at 14:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nice size that and lovely views
pow
Premium Member

20th Mar 15 at 16:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No possibility to purchase from the landlord?
Andrew

20th Mar 15 at 21:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The village people are going to love the noise of your car

Looks really nice and the size of that garage is awesome!
Kyle T
Premium Member

21st Mar 15 at 12:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers team, a week in and we're loving it.

Pow - it's certainly something we'll try to gauge as our relationship with the landlord grows. They're an old couple who bought the house some years ago to allow them to extend their garden (they live right behind). The house has obviously been a good earner for them, but perhaps they've never had the offer of a tenant buying it out before. Not saying we'll do it, we need to really get intimately familiar with the house and the village but it's not something I'm ruling out.

Andrew - Luckily for the villagers my car spends more time on axle stands atm, and we get a LOT of farm traffic through here which is pretty damn noisy. I should fit in nicely

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Pop

22nd Mar 15 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It looks really nice, great location.

New Poll