corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Apple

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Apple
Dave

User status: Offline
28th Jan 15 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31012410

£12billion profit in 3 months, the rest of the figures are just as mind blowing IMO.
Cavey

28th Jan 15 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Out in SA at the moment and every person I meet has an iPhone. Was there anything specifically UK related in that article? My hypothesis is that people with choice (and a modicum of sense) are increasingly going away from Apple, whereas the rest of the world where smartphones are magical new technology all go iphone.

But as said, amazing figures all round. Well done them
Balling
Premium Member

28th Jan 15 at 20:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cavey
My hypothesis is that people with choice (and a modicum of sense) are increasingly going away from Apple
What? Why?

Dave

28th Jan 15 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tbh it wasn't just the money that stood out, it was that in effect they sold 34,000 iPhones every hour, 24 hours a day for 3 months.

I'm not a fanboy or anything( posted on my iPad )but that's amazing, especially when you consider how much they cost and that they are generally more expensive than their competitors.

Certainly debunks Johns theory that Apple are on the slide.
Cavey

28th Jan 15 at 20:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
quote:
My hypothesis is that people with choice (and a modicum of sense) are increasingly going away from Apple
What? Why?

Seems to me that more and more people in the UK are deferring to android either through boredom or the fact that there's just more choice.

Apple are doing a great job in the emerging markets due to their phones being fashion symbols.
Balling
Premium Member

28th Jan 15 at 21:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Seems to me that more and more people in the UK are deferring to android either through boredom or the fact that there's just more choice.
So where's the lack of sense in not doing this?

Rob_Quads

29th Jan 15 at 08:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They have developed a great eco-system.

They are selling more and more phones which means people will spend more and more in the app store which means they are even less likely to switch back due to the investment int he eco-system.

They are also making a huge push into the enterprise market at the moment with the deal with IBM, developing proper industry apps and developing proper deployment solutions for the whole portfolio from iPhones to Macs. Crack enterprise and again thats a nice cash cow that MS have had for years

Its interesting you say you see people switching away from Apple, I too saw the same a few years ago but of the 5 different friends who did, all have now just moved back to Apple

The watches are coming out soon which I think will be a huge success, you might ask why. They are very much lining it up as a fashion item and if you get into that world where all the stars have them they will sell whether they are the best on the market or not (whether it will be the best who knows, from the indications its up with the best ones like Moto360 but will be person preference)
Gaz

29th Jan 15 at 08:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The other thing to consider is that Apple are coming more and more into the business market.
With basic things like MS office apps becoming free, clients such as Airwatch MDM allowing a business to control a phone remotely and with a suggestion that Apple are going to begin to allow businesses to build a device to their spec whilst it's still in the cellophane - this is a huge step past how blackberrys were
Dom

29th Jan 15 at 10:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
Crack enterprise and again that's a nice cash cow that MS have had for years.

Apple scrapped their XServer line and they don't have an enterprise OS nor any enterprise based services, so it's unlikely Apple will 'crack' that market anytime soon
ed

29th Jan 15 at 13:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The only thing they needed to crack was China, the figures show they have done that. Hence all the money.
ed

29th Jan 15 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plus BYOD seems to be getting quite popular, supported by everything going SaaS which means that you don't piss off your I.T. nerd that much when you want a MacBook.
Rob_Quads

29th Jan 15 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Crack enterprise and again that's a nice cash cow that MS have had for years.

Apple scrapped their XServer line and they don't have an enterprise OS nor any enterprise based services, so it's unlikely Apple will 'crack' that market anytime soon

Sorry - When I meant crack enterprise I didn't mean in the server hardware I meant in the software - applications and iPhone, iPads, Macs to deliver it. This is something they are investing in at the moment.
Dom

29th Jan 15 at 15:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
....I meant in the software - applications...

What enterprise software?

Tbh, Apple really need to either start fully supporting existing enterprise infrastructures, Microsoft especially, or produce their own enterprise products for them to 'crack'/'break' that market. At the moment, they appear to be more committed to consumers.
Rob_Quads

29th Jan 15 at 15:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

https://www.apple.com/business/mobile-enterprise-apps/

i.e. not specifically the backend servers

A good example is the inroads to the airline industry, slowly becoming the standard replacement for manuals etc.
AndyKent

29th Jan 15 at 18:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Figures of something like 40% profit per product is insane though.

Hope this slows down buyers who are clearly being overcharged. Not that this is new news, but eye opening
Dom

29th Jan 15 at 20:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
https://www.apple.com/business/mobile-enterprise-apps/

i.e. not specifically the backend servers

A good example is the inroads to the airline industry, slowly becoming the standard replacement for manuals etc.

Fair enough. Infrastructure is where the money is in the enterprise market, so i'm not sure what Apple will be exactly cracking other than apps for portable-devices

quote:
Originally posted by ed
Plus BYOD seems to be getting quite popular....

Sticking unvetted and insecure devices on to a company network always seemed like a bad idea to me
ed

29th Jan 15 at 20:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Usually the company buy you the machine and set up any stuff they need to get it to work, then it's all yours. That's how it works where I am anyway, though because all the stuff we use is SaaS/cloud based we don't maintain a central fileserver or anything like that.

New Poll