corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » HDMI - Laptop to TV

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author HDMI - Laptop to TV
JordyCarter

User status: Offline
23rd Jan 15 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive got a weird problem. Got a HP laptop and bought a HDMI cable today, when i plug it into my tv the laptop chimes to say it recognises it but there is no signal going through, the laptop screen goes black* (maybe my fault) and im just stuck. So after trying multiple things I thought I would try it on my brothers TV (a more newer sony tv) and it worked first time. Does anyone know if my TV is just too old for it? even though it has a hdmi port. TV is a older samsung, still widescreen and 42' but about 3 years old.

*When I was messing around with my settings on the laptop I right clicked output and set it to TV but now when the laptop connects to my TV I get a black screen on the laptop along with no signal on the TV so im stuck from there.

[Edited on 23-01-2015 by JordyCarter]
Brett
Premium Member

23rd Jan 15 at 14:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could it be whatever the hdmi output is set to is something your TV couldn't handle? Like maybe your TV only does 720 and not 1080
Balling
Premium Member

23rd Jan 15 at 14:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Likely what Brett says.

If it's a plasma, it's probably running a 1024x768 resolution. If it's LCD it's probably 1280x720.

Your laptop will have a key to switch between built in screen, external screen, extended desktop and mirrored desktop.

If your keyboard looks like the below, you'll need to press fn + F4. If not, look for a similar icon to the one on this F4 key.

http://googletechsuppliers.com/module/uploads/2014/09/hp-laptop-keyboard-layout.jpg

Set it to mirrored or extended, then open your screen settings and adjust the resolution for the external screen.

All that said, HDMI should theoretically adjust to the correct resolution automatically, so maybe you're simply on the wrong input channel on the TV. Try switching source.

Also, HDMI cables sometimes break. Try a different one.

[Edited on 23-01-2015 by Balling]

JordyCarter

23rd Jan 15 at 15:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its weird but ive cracked the problem. It was in fact the lead?

I tried the lead on my brothers TV (as i said above) and it worked fine but using that same lead on my TV it just wouldnt work. After scratching my head I thought il try my brothers HDMI lead from his PS4 and volah, it works? So im now purchasing a better HDMI lead. Never heard of this issue before tbh

New Poll