corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Transparent proxy to forward to non transparent proxy

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Transparent proxy to forward to non transparent proxy
pow
Premium Member

User status: Offline
10th Dec 14 at 13:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi,

Tiny little school, not much budget, got a few tablets in that ideally need a transparent proxy to function in life. Their internet connection is LEA provided, one level of filtering with no authentication to the proxy itself (you just specify the address and port and away you go). Just wondering if there is any software/OS that could sit ideally on a VM (but I'll take a physical box if I have to!) and sit between the internet connection and the LAN to take http/https requests that aren't proxied and forward them on to the proxy - so basically make internal proxy the default gatway, specify no proxy on the device, it takes the request and forwards it on to proxy.lea.sch.uk:8080?

Would squid do that I want?

Thanks for any pointers in advance
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

10th Dec 14 at 13:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Squid will do it.
pow
Premium Member

10th Dec 14 at 13:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Might set up a VHD then, keep me busy this afternoon.
pow
Premium Member

10th Dec 14 at 13:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cache_peer proxy.lea.sch.uk parent 80 7(or 0) no-query no-digest default
pow
Premium Member

10th Dec 14 at 13:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

FFS why does it take soo long for ubuntu server to download!
xentoo

29th Dec 14 at 07:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did you manage to get things sorted...?
Are you aiming to use the proxy for filtering, caching or a bit of both?

You might want to try pfsense (with pfblocker, haproxy/squid and snort) or any other net appliance distro, instead of using Ubuntu...
pow
Premium Member

29th Dec 14 at 10:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just forwarding, the county proxy does the rest but it ain't transparent. I've built a Ubuntu server VM with squid installed with what I think are the correct settings and exported the vhd ready for when I visit the site next. I'll keep you posted when I get it up there!

New Poll