corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Spax dampers

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Spax dampers
Christopher

User status: Offline
25th Jun 14 at 14:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got spax dampening adjustable dampers on the rear of the c, just wanted to confirm that the plus sign mean stiffer right? it's got little lines next to the knob and they go from small and get bigger and then the plus sign is at the end of those bars so assuming that means stiffer? Thanks
Ste
Premium Member

25th Jun 14 at 22:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The adjustment in the dampers really isn't there for tuning. It's there only to allow you to use different spring rates on the same damper. There will only be one good setting for a given spring rate that will best damp the mass-spring system without being too under damped or too over damped, both of which create side-effects. Over damped can cause traction issues. Under damped allows excess chassis motion and sometimes continuous oscillations that really never seem to dissipate.

You can adjust handling balance with damper settings because damping will influence the dynamic behavior of the car. Changing the damping changes how tyres load and how the chassis moves about. However, it's better to think about damping not as a main tool but rather a byproduct of spring choice. Damping rate follows spring rate which means you should realistically adjust handling via spring choice. This is a different story when you have multi-adjustable dampers with separate compression and rebound adjustment. These can offer more than one setting that properly damps the system but also influences handling characteristics. With a budget single adjustable damper, we don't have this freedom and really only end up with one good setting for a given spring rate on the car.

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
tom130691
Premium Member

26th Jun 14 at 07:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

more simple answer,

yes you are correct, i set my rears stiff made a huge difference, gave similar results to the rear antiroll bars, just had to deal with the harsh ride, not that there was seats in the back
Christopher

26th Jun 14 at 19:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers chaps! I thought so I just wanted to make sure! The reason for asking is not performance related I simply wanted to stiffen the shock for less travel so I can have the back fitment tighter without smashing my arches to smitherines but couldn't find any information about which way makes it stiffer

New Poll