corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Life Insurance - Your opinions

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Life Insurance - Your opinions
richardworrall
Premium Member

User status: Offline
   23rd Apr 14 at 16:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not had any before, now married and purchasing house so need to get some.
Done the usual research and bit confused.

Whats best?

Joint - Is ok if one of you dies as it pays out to the other party, but is then no longer valid if partner dies later to pay out to kids etc.
Single x 2 - Is saying its better as either will pay out and still be valid for other partner as they have their own policy as such to cover kids.

Critical illness - what are there get out clauses like, is it worth it?
Level Term Cover or decreasing

Was your choice based on level of cover or cheapest monthly payment?
Colin

23rd Apr 14 at 18:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive just addressed this recently. I was paying almost £40 a month for a policy (2 singles) which was set up by a ifa and was a policy to pay off the mortgage on a reducing scale over the 25 years.

Cancelled that as I decided it was too much a month and got a new policy through protected.co.uk with legal & general. 150k lump sum paid on death or terminal illness, 15k critical illness cover, 25yr level term. £15 a month.

Recommend them, don't be fooled into paying loads, just think about what you'd need to cover the enduring shit storm should the worst happen!

[Edited on 23-04-2014 by Colin]
Andrew

23rd Apr 14 at 19:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got the policy in front of me at the moment. Start paying £64 a month to AVIVA on the 1st. I need to go through it as it seems a lot compared to what Colin is paying! As far as i know, it's just Critical Illness cover and they will pay off the house if one of us becomes ill.
Gaz

23rd Apr 14 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We pay £40 a month for a joint... don't think it covers critical illness
Colin

23rd Apr 14 at 20:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£64 a month :-/ fuck me, I'd be gutted if I didn't die during the term!
Pop

23rd Apr 14 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Both my wife and I have life cover through our different employers as part of our benefits. Both are approx 3 times our salaries.

Looking at the monthly costs in this thread I'm pleased it's an expense we don't have.

[Edited on 23-04-2014 by Pop]
M2RTY

25th Apr 14 at 03:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We have 2 single 30 year policies
With Zurich that dont depreciate over time. They have the highest rate of paying out and cover the largest range of illnesses etc
Ben G

25th Apr 14 at 07:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
Ive just addressed this recently. I was paying almost £40 a month for a policy (2 singles) which was set up by a ifa and was a policy to pay off the mortgage on a reducing scale over the 25 years.

Cancelled that as I decided it was too much a month and got a new policy through protected.co.uk with legal & general. 150k lump sum paid on death or terminal illness, 15k critical illness cover, 25yr level term. £15 a month.

Recommend them, don't be fooled into paying loads, just think about what you'd need to cover the enduring shit storm should the worst happen!

[Edited on 23-04-2014 by Colin]

How did you go about cancelling it, Colin?

I was under the impression (and my mortgage provider/bank told me) thats life insurance is compulsory and can't be cancelled before the end of the mortgage term.

They probably would say that though, as I took out life insurance with them at the time of the mortgage application.
Colin

25th Apr 14 at 08:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Compulsory......not that I'm aware, buildings insurance is compulsory. Read your mortgage key facts, should say in there.

I just phoned up LV and cancelled, the cover was paid up a month in advance so I just got the new policy to coincide with the date of cancellation.
pow
Premium Member

25th Apr 14 at 09:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nothing is 'compsulary' - they just like you to have it
dannymccann

27th Apr 14 at 11:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Nothing is 'compsulary' - they just like you to have it

Pretty sure buildings insurance is a condition of most mortgages due to the bank owning the house, not you...?

You could cancel it in theory, but then they could pull your mortgage on you, which kinda leaves you up a certain creek without a paddle

Life insurance is something I need to look into but I think our joint policy is only £18 a month at the moment so it's not key for me, certainly not while I've got 3 accountancy exams to revise for, a promotion at work and a baby at home

[Edited on 27-04-2014 by dannymccann]
pow
Premium Member

27th Apr 14 at 19:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah - sorry - buildings is but nothing else is, they just want to flog you more shite
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
27th Apr 14 at 19:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
I was under the impression (and my mortgage provider/bank told me) thats life insurance is compulsory

Certainly not for mine - I don't have it. But its just me paying it and I've no kids. Not sure if its different with two people although my suspicion is that although its wiser, you don't have to have it.

Could be a condition of that provider though - which doesn't make it compulsory as such, but the decision to lend is based on it. If they'd even get away with that.
Cavey

27th Apr 14 at 20:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also, "compulsory" to have some life insurance, but Colin cancelled and took it with another company, so still has it

Ours was done through the IFA. Who was a prick. With Zenith, pay £30 a month for the two of us, but only clears half the mortgage if one of us dies. Pretty sure I could find a far better deal
Graham88

28th Apr 14 at 04:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin

We're being quoted £40 a month for life & critical by the estate agents, just did it on that site and put 150k in and it's £10 a month, think I need to do some shopping around! Just long trying to read through every policy to see what is and isn't included.
dannymccann

28th Apr 14 at 14:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea never take it from an EA or IFA, but obviously always read the small print to see exactly what's covered in your cheaper policy to make sure it covers everything you need
Graham88

28th Apr 14 at 23:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got a phone call from protected.co.uk and sorted a policy out, so instead of £90 a month for me and the Mrs, it's working out £12.50 a month instead! With Legal & General, 150k payout if either of us dies, 300k if we both die to a trustee. 30 year policy guaranteed to stay the same price. It's just life insurance and terminal illness, but I wasn't bothered about critical illness anyway. And for the money it's saving I'm well happy!
Gary
Premium Member

29th Apr 14 at 19:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tempted by insurance recently after going self employed. Any cover about just to cover if I cant work for any reason?
Graham88

29th Apr 14 at 22:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unemployment cover?
dan_m1les

30th Apr 14 at 14:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've also just moved to protected.co.uk, gone from £22 a month with L&G to £7.80 a month with zurich for cover of £150k

Thanks Colin lol

[Edited on 30-04-2014 by dan_m1les]
DC90

30th Apr 14 at 17:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Covered by critical insurance with a work policy, got life insurance with legal & general. Got the same deal as Graham.
John

30th Apr 14 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got a quote with protected.co.uk earlier on, they phoned within 5 minutes with the hard sell.

Did anyone do any research or just go with what the guy told them?

I'm always wary of taking anything out with pushy companies.
dan_m1les

30th Apr 14 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I hung up on the once john, they called back with a different pitch

New Poll