corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Re-mortgage time - thoughts appreciated

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Re-mortgage time - thoughts appreciated
Pop

User status: Offline
5th Apr 14 at 09:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi,

We are coming to the end of our 5 year fixed mortgage and are looking at our first re-mortgage.

We are currently paying £849 p/m and will have a 24 year term left. We are also looking at adding to the mortgage for our upcoming house extension.

I've got a couple of options below and I would appreciate peoples thoughts. The options are by no means exhaustive; however, they do cover off both fixed and tracker scenarios:

Option 1
Stay with the current bank (Santander) on a 5 year fixed at 3.19%. Monthly payment of £813.21 and an arrangement fee of £999. This would allow us to overpay £2,147.40 over the 5 year term based on our usual £849 payment.

Option 2
Move to HSBC on a lifetime tracker at 1.99%. Monthly payment of £715 and an arrangement fee of £999. This would allow us to overpay £8,040 over a 5 year term based on our usual £849 payment, subject to the base rate not changing.

With option 2 I know that the base rate will increase and probably sooner rather than later.

So here lies the issue. Do I go with the fixed as it plays on people's fears that rates will go up, or risk the tracker for potential gain? I know no one has the answer because if we did everyone would make the correct choice.

What I am keen to know is peoples thoughts on what they would do? Do you think when the rates rise it will be by 0.5%? Do you think we will see rapid a sharp rise?

We aren't that far off hitting the triggers the BOE set out for a rise!

All thoughts and opinions are appreciated.
AndyKent

5th Apr 14 at 09:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How much remains on your mortgage. I would stick the figures into a spreadhseet and work out at what point either one would win if rates rise at differing points.

Hard to answer without knowing the scale of borrowing though.
Cavey

5th Apr 14 at 10:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They said they can't guarantee the base rate won't rise until after the election next summer, so that to me suggests they are planning to rise it before that. I personally think it'd only be half a percent, but obviously that's impossible to tell really.

Personally, we when remortgage again in February, I'll be looking for a couple of years fixed rate at least, as I reckon the rates will rise in that time
Pop

5th Apr 14 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cavey - Cheers, I'm leaning towards fixing it

Andy - House is worth approximately £260,000 and including the amount we want to borrow we will have £163,500 outstanding (62.9% LTV). Putting it in a spreadsheet is a good idea to figure out at what point it would be better to fix the rate.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

5th Apr 14 at 11:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Option 2 imo
deano87

5th Apr 14 at 12:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Option 2. As there is no fix, you can always fix at a later date, albeit having to pay additional arrangement fees.

Just going ahead with out first mortgage and fixed for 2 years.
AndyKent

5th Apr 14 at 17:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by deano87
Option 2. As there is no fix, you can always fix at a later date, albeit having to pay additional arrangement fees.

Misses the fact that the next fix would be more expensive (ie. Higher rate) because base rate will have just risen.....
deano87

6th Apr 14 at 07:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyKent
quote:
Originally posted by deano87

Misses the fact that the next fix would be more expensive (ie. Higher rate) because base rate will have just risen.....

We fixed for 2 years at 4.99%. Still not sure if should have gone 5.49 for 5 years

New Poll