corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Mortages

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Mortages
whitter45

User status: Offline
13th Sep 11 at 09:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just trying to get a feeling of peoples opinions (I am almost sure of which is the more sensibel option)

Without getting too detailed I have an existing mortgage with is 2% above base rate i.e (2.5%).

My initial thoughts were to port this over and borrow additional money at a fixed rate so effectively 2 mortgages

However I do not think long term the rates are going to stay low so in order to have options my thoughts were

Option 1
Keep existing on the tracker and get a 2 year fixed for addition so that after 2 years i can have just one mortgage

Option 2
Payoff existing mortgage when I sell and get a new mortgage for the mount required on a fixed term

I think in the current climate option 2 is the better one but just wondering peoples thoughts or experiences if they have had similar debates

thanks
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

13th Sep 11 at 09:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well i dont think the rates will be going up anytime soon anyway. Its a gamble at the end of the day but your more likely to save money on option 1 as long as the rate stays low. i think its going to be there for at least another year or two.
whitter45

13th Sep 11 at 09:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I should have said option 2 is a 5 year fixed with no fees and free survey

option 1 is £999 product fee for additional borrowing and would incur £300 survey fee

[Edited on 13-09-2011 by whitter45]
AndyKent

13th Sep 11 at 17:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doubt rates are going anywhere soon as well tbh. Theres no real signs of growth so no reason for them to rise.

I'd stick with what you have for another 6-12 months, fix later if you still want to.
Ben G

13th Sep 11 at 18:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the rates will go up, but not by a huge amount. i would probably say up to 2% max.

i'm currently on a 6.05% fix rate mortgage until next june. pissing me right off.
whitter45

19th Sep 11 at 08:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think the decision is to be the fixed rate for the full amount

New Poll