corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Here's an interesting subject... boilers!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Here's an interesting subject... boilers!
kz

User status: Offline
3rd Apr 14 at 14:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So the hot water went last week... radiators still fine. We've had 5 separate quotes now and was just about to pull the trigger on one guy to come and do the job. Every single plumber noted we needed a new boiler. We also had someone mention a knackered pump, another saying the pipes were blocked and another saying he could fix it, but it wouldn't be worth it, as it's 40 years old and just so inefficient.

Today, the hot water came back on all that mum was doing was running the tap as per usual. She went up and felt the pipes (that had been stone cold for over a week) and they were all hotting up!

We know the job needs doing eventually, but money is tight, so we're trying to hold out. If we can just postpone it a few months that would be great... just wondering if anyone knows what could cause this? To me, it is sounding like a pipe blockage and perhaps that's simply cleared itself?
RichR
Premium Member

3rd Apr 14 at 14:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What type of boiler? if you're getting heating but not hot water; I assume its a combi in which case it sounds like a faulty diverter valve.
kz

3rd Apr 14 at 15:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No it's not a combi, don't think they were even around 40 years ago lol. It hasn't even got an immersion... the plumbers love it.
whitter45

3rd Apr 14 at 16:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

diveter valve probably got stuck

If it sticks on the CH side it will cause the boiler to run all time as the diverter valve signal overrides boiler control and thermostat
corsajay88

3rd Apr 14 at 17:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mines the same but the other way around. Hot water is great but no heating. Not a combi. Thing it's time for replacement as it's 16 years old. Just thinking of all the ££££'s I'm saving with the mrs not being able to leave the heating on all day. Even when we're at work. Been like this a week. Think I can wait another before getting it fixed
3CorsaMeal

3rd Apr 14 at 20:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Poltergeist imo
kz

4th Apr 14 at 08:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is getting weirder.

My watch stopped and I was going to drop it off for a replacement battery tomorrow. Picked it up a couple of minutes ago and it's working again.

I'm going with 3CorsaMeal's suggestion atm...
ash_corsa

4th Apr 14 at 17:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If heating working but not hot water will more than likely be an electrical fault, could be knackered 2 channel timeclock, 3 port valve or cylinder stat, all of which are relatively inexpensive compared to new boiler.

But it sounds like you've done the right thing and got a few quotes, doubt all 5 will be quoting for a new boiler without it actually needing it!

[Edited on 04-04-2014 by ash_corsa]
kz

4th Apr 14 at 18:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh absolutely. Been over 24 hours now and still fine... so fingers crossed we can get a few more months out of it!
fred7

4th Apr 14 at 20:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can you not ring the plumbers and say its come back on and working fine see if they can suggest something? Not saying this been cocky its just they have seen the boiler/pipes/job? Maybe its a warning something is about to break completely and could repair earlier?

New Poll