corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Central heating Problem

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Central heating Problem
STEvieXE

User status: Offline
30th Nov 13 at 22:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi guys. Have Oil fired central heating system. My problem is over the last year I've had certain radiators stop working totally. Now at the stage where I only have one working upstairs and one not working downstairs. Radiators are bled and the pipe work coming into them isn't warm either. Nothing has happened that I know off! There's plenty of water in the tank in the attic, anyone any ideas?
Gary
Premium Member

30th Nov 13 at 23:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Give it a flush out
STEvieXE

30th Nov 13 at 23:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've read about possibly sludge in the rads or pipes etc. so perhaps remove rads and hose out outside? Or I've heard about power flushing although sounds pretty expensive
Gary
Premium Member

30th Nov 13 at 23:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've heard power flushing an old system might be a bad idea but hosing rads out outside and stick some flushing gear though may help.
STEvieXE

1st Dec 13 at 10:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

House was only built in 06!
Ben G

1st Dec 13 at 10:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Same thing has happened in mine. All radiators are fine apart from the 2 in my living room. One heats half up (although not really hot) and another stays cold.

Not bothered me yet as the house still gets warm, but I did make a thread about it last year and the general consensus was sludge.
Kyle T
Premium Member

1st Dec 13 at 10:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by STEvieXE
House was only built in 06!

I'm in a 2008 newbuild with similar symptoms. Downstairs (bedroom, hall and bathroom) is toasty but upstairs is a bit nippy, and the radiator just doesn't seem to respond like the others do.

Not helped by the high ceiling upstairs either

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
STEvieXE

1st Dec 13 at 18:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have a plumber coming on Thursday night so I'll update!
deanmcreynolds26

2nd Dec 13 at 15:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Faulty Rad thermorstat possibly? See if you can unscrew the head and check the pin. You should be able to push it and it should spring back to you. it's possibly stuck in the closed position.
Kyle T
Premium Member

2nd Dec 13 at 18:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've just got my upstairs rad to come on by opening and closing the plastic "tap" a few times.

Perhaps there is something in there which is stuck, but it's properly inaccessible - can get my hand to it but can't see it, so I'll inspect the internals of one of the downstairs ones first...

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
John

2nd Dec 13 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it's a thermostatic valve, that big top bit normally just pulls off and there's a normal looking rad valve under it with a pin.
STEvieXE

5th Dec 13 at 22:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's sludged up. Plumber says there's been no inhibitor put in the system when it was new. Going to get some product to put into the system to try and free it, he says try that for a week and see if any heat coming to any of the cold rads. If so he'll drain it down and try to flush it out with a hose. He's not overly optimistic tho. May need power flushed :-(
STEvieXE

12th Jan 14 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

First plumber never came back! So got another plumber in who had to replace my boiler pump as it was working incorrectly. He then replaced all the thermostatic valves and I have fully working radiators. I'm very happy it wasn't sludged up.
eckers90

12th Jan 14 at 18:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i suspect the therm valves werent working properly due to bad water, sludge etc, what colour was the water when he changed the valves?
STEvieXE

19th Jan 14 at 14:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He said it was pretty good. Valves haven't been used I think may be part of the problem, u know never adjusted in a long long time
mattk

25th Jan 14 at 16:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was gonna say pump. Typical of rads not working. Upstairs ones normally work a bit because of gravity. The hot water rises and circulates as it cools.

New Poll